Wound 3rd ("C") String options

Littlegman

Reaction score
After multiple experiments with different string sets, I have settled on Southcoast Light Medium Round Wound (LML RW) for my tenor. They are insanely rich and balanced, but not inexpensive. After 2 months or so of playing, the wound 3rd (C) string failed at the 3rd fret. I contacted Dirk, explained what happened, ruled out a rough fret, and was kindly sent a replacement. Well, after several months, the replacement 3rd string again unraveled at the 3rd fret. The other strings are still perfectly fine, and rather than bother Dirk, I ordered several single wound 3rd string replacements from SC. I expect that the 3rd strings will again be the first to go, and am now considering other single, wound third strings for that eventuality. My hope is that those other replacement strings will prolong the life of the entire set until it is time for a total string change. What is making this challenging is that the diameter of the Southcoast wound third is quite small, my caliper suggests roughly 0.5 mm (~0.19"). Single wound 3rd strings by GHS and d'Addario are considerably larger (0.35 - 0.36"). Any other options out there?

I hesitate to ask this as someone with calipers and the knowledge of how to use them is pretty detail minded. But both strings failing at the third fret seems like too much of a coincidence. I am guessing you have checked that area throughly. The only reason I am saying this is just like you I love that set of strings, have experience with them on 4 tenors, 2 are mine, 2 are a friends, been at least 3 months and no troubles. Maybe you got some bad ones, it happens and Dirk is great about taking care of it.

I have not found anything close but have not had to look. Saverez might have something close in their classical guitar line.

Top Bottom