Choosing a new soprano as a second uke - need help please

justin13

Reaction score
I have been playing for a few months (and silently stalking here for the same length of time) and am ready for a second uke. I have a Kala concert - nothing special, but I didn't want to jump in wallet first before I played. I have few local purchasing options in Maine, but I did play a Martin S1, and was blown away (so much better than my Kala). I have been looking long and hard at the KoAloha Opio, the Pono MSD and MS on HMS. My budget is right around $400.

Anyway - the Martin is the only "nice" uke I have played. From what I read, the others may be better, but I have no way to play them. I am going to call HMS today, but wanted to know if anyone can give me any feedback. I didn't find anything else exactly on point. Any help appreciated!

The Martin S1 is certainly a very nice uke in it's own rights, but the grass is always greener on the other side of the country, lol. The Opio is as good a sounding uke as there is for that money, I own the concert model. The Kiwaya ukuleles are also highly regarded and HMS sells those as well. Ponos sound nice as well, but I think their tenor models is where they really shine.

Jim had a great idea about putting up a WTB (want to buy) notice in the marketplace. State what you are looking for and your price range, many have found and bought great ukes doing this and your money will go 20%-40% farther than buying new.

Last edited:
Have been impressed by the S1. Another one to seek out used is a Kiwaya KTS-4. I'd also check out Ohana, who makes some great ukes for the money.

I never wanted a Kamaka soprano....until I got one. With Oasis lights, loud and proud. The equal of my vintage Martin, but different sounding. They are keeping one another company right now and on into forever. Here are a few examples. Perhaps someone on UU or FMM can give you as good or better deal on one. If your budget is "around $400", then just a touch over if need be also qualifies. I've nice ones go way under $400. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kulele&_nkw=kamaka+soprano+ukulele&_sacat=619

Last edited:
If you're looking for vintagey type ukes, the Ohana SK-38 is about $100 cheaper than the Martin S-1 and is an outstanding instrument. I have one that's a definite keeper.

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the marketplace. It's killing me having to wait...I am also looking at some of the other options that people noted.

My wife wouldn't be happy to see this, but you are right - I will stretch for the right uke.

Another thumbs up here for the Kamaka soprano...also thought I didn't want one... until I got one then I realized why they have the reputation they have!

My favourite soprano (within a limited experience) was a Kiwaya, which admittedly is a Japanese take on the Martin but... yeah. For a Mahogany soprano uke, I was very, very happy.

Spongeuke - nice looking instrument. I am not really thinking of anything vintage (which may be blasphemy), but I will keep that on my go forward list. I am sure to end up with more than two eventually.

Learning something new - I had always thought that Kiwaya made laminates. You can imagine my surprise when I did a little more hunting:D

Just to a listen to the Koaloha Opio Soprano, what a wonderful sounding uke. I am a big fan of KoAloha and the Sapele adds such warmth. I was unaware of how great they sound. I would definitely consider it, if I were you...

I played Aldrine's What Child is This?/Greensleeves on my OXK on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas Day on the Opio. My husband commented on how much I had improved in 24 hours :) I like a ukulele that makes me sound better than I really am.

I played Aldrine's What Child is This?/Greensleeves on my OXK on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas Day on the Opio. My husband commented on how much I had improved in 24 hours :) I like a ukulele that makes me sound better than I really am.

Laura you have just proven my argument for buying high quality ukes............even one's mistakes sound better.

So I went back to the local store today and was a little less excited about the S1 and liked another Ohana model better. I am going to talk to Andrew today and have a couple of people contacting me on the message board here, so I plan to make a decisions soon. Laura - I need all the help I can get, so that is very tempting!

Your original post shows a very well informed selection. I think you can't go wrong with either a KoAloha Opio or a Pono. Not to long ago, there was a very similar discussion with a poll (albeit concerning Concert size):

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102558-Next-Uke-for-my-wife

Based on all the positive comments, I'd go for an Opio. But you might want to consider changing those original friction tuners to Gotoh UPT, they make tuning a whole lot easier. HMS will change them for a small upcharge.

I have been playing for a few months (and silently stalking here for the same length of time) and am ready for a second uke. I have a Kala concert - nothing special, but I didn't want to jump in wallet first before I played. I have few local purchasing options in Maine, but I did play a Martin S1, and was blown away (so much better than my Kala). I have been looking long and hard at the KoAloha Opio, the Pono MSD and MS on HMS. My budget is right around $400.

Anyway - the Martin is the only "nice" uke I have played. From what I read, the others may be better, but I have no way to play them. I am going to call HMS today, but wanted to know if anyone can give me any feedback. I didn't find anything else exactly on point. Any help appreciated!

You'll want perhaps something that sounds different than your current instrument. What wood is your Kala concert? Laminate or solid?

Top Bottom