Learning how to play the Ukulele?

Saldawop

Reaction score
Am an absolute beginner when it comes to the ukulele, well any instrument.I want to learn to play properly and hopefully, at least competently.
I am finding that Im watching lots of instructional videos,for example one about the chords, then I will see another about chunking, then another about fingerpicking.I find myself trying all these different things.Different strumming patterns etc.But am I really learning?
Or should I follow one system,course,book and stick with it, learning one lesson at a time before moving on.
Do I need to start off learning all the chords? Scales? before worrying about playing something that sounds like a song?

Welcome to the wonderful world of ukulele. You have gone down the road many have before you, so much stuff available to learn it can be confusing and overwhelming. Just like learning any physical skill we must start out simple and withnthe basics. First we crawl, then we walk, then we run.

Download "Uncle Rods Bootcamp" it will give you a great starting point and all the proper things to practice. If you learn only down strums, then down up along with chords C, A, G, F Dm you will be able to play dozens and dozens and dozens of songs. From there you can expand your strummimg patterns and learn more chords. Find one or two songs you like that have 2 or 3 chords only. Start playing those songs as early on as possible because making music is what it is all about.

Have downloaded Uncle Rods bootcamp, but even there I am lost. Practice sheet #1 is in the key of C ,correct?
Then #2 is in the key of G ,but the chords are exactly the same,or rather in the same position on the frets, so what is different?
How do I ,as a beginner to music, learn how to change key?

Edit: Or have I totally misunderstood what "In the key of" means??

Last edited:
Morning Dave , Hi Saldawop. Sounds like you need to take a step back and evaluate. Once you find some structure you can work with I suggest you make a plan. does this make sense C = 0003, G7 = 0212 F = 2010?

Edit oops. need coffee

Yes, I understand that.

Strructure, thats what I need!! ;)

Edit: And whilst I say I understand that

C = 0003, G7 = 0212 F = 2010 in the key of C and C = 0003, G7 = 0212 F = 2010 in the key of G ...but they are the same.How can the same chords played on the same fret positions be in different keys?

Last edited:
Yes, I understand that.

Strructure, thats what I need!! ;)

Structure= learn the basics. Making music on the ukulele is about two things and two things only at the very beginers level. Forming chords and the ablity to change from one chord to another and strumming. I guess that is 3 things isn't it :p

Please throw everything else out the window at this point. Keys don't matter neither do scales or strum patterns or anything else........for now. The most basic chords are C, G A F, make your own chord sheet and practice those until you can play them in any order in your sleep. Use Uncle Rods format but start with those chords and a simple 4/4 down strum. :music:

Last edited:
I think you should learn a couple of chords then try to play a song. What Dave is saying is good. Am = 2000. if you can play the chords C, G7, F you can play basic Key of C songs. Am chord is called a relative minor of the Key of C. See if you can find Jambalaya in a songbook. It might be in Bootcamp Songbook.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am OK with those chords.At least I know them, but need practice changing between them so will practice that, especially changing to a G !!

You ask very good questions! Where to start? I know it's so confusing. I think the best way to start is to pick a simple tune you know both the words and melody to, and work on playing it and singing it at the same time. For me, Mary Had A Little Lamb comes to mind. Since you already know the tune, melody, and words, that will help you keep the Ukulele on track. You only need three chords. Start in the key of C. So, you need C, F, and G. They are easy fingerings, so check them out in advance. You can simply play through them in that order, and they will sound good, C, F, G, and back to C. As soon as your fingers are moving through those simple chords without too much hesitation, look at the song you've chosen, and see where those chords are supposed to be played. Then, while singing the song (very slowly!) to yourself, softly strum each chord at the appropriate moment. Bingo! You are now playing the Ukulele!!! For a beginner, that's all you need to be doing. Over time, you add a few chords, you pick more exciting tunes, but the process is the same. Soon you will feel more confident in your playing, and you are on your way.

Changing smoothly is tricky. practice works. I practice while I play. A Hawaiian G chord is 0202. Its a little easier than playing G or G7. use it when you have to but sooner or later learn the regular chord voicings, If you find Jambalaya it is only two chords, C and G7 (or Hawaiian G).http://www.chordstrum.com/pdf/Ukulele/Jims_songbook_2014-V1.pdf

The link shows it in Key of D . You can do it in that key or transpose it to Key of C (where the song book says G you play the C, Where it says D you play the G7 or Hawaiin G) It might be easier to learn the D chord though. D = 2220 just like the TAB in the book shows.

Greetings Saldawop, looks like we're in the same place in this adventure.
When I started researching ukulele I was so pleased at the volume of info available online. Soon however I became a little overwhelmed. In a few weeks I'll be taking some proper lessons but in the meantime I'm trying to start out with the very basic stuff. Mike Lynch has some left hand finger/fret exercises that seem like a good start. Here is a link to part 1; there are 2 additional vids as well.

You ask very good questions! Where to start? I know it's so confusing. I think the best way to start is to pick a simple tune you know both the words and melody to, and work on playing it and singing it at the same time. For me, Mary Had A Little Lamb comes to mind. Since you already know the tune, melody, and words, that will help you keep the Ukulele on track. You only need three chords. Start in the key of C. So, you need C, F, and G. They are easy fingerings, so check them out in advance. You can simply play through them in that order, and they will sound good, C, F, G, and back to C. As soon as your fingers are moving through those simple chords without too much hesitation, look at the song you've chosen, and see where those chords are supposed to be played. Then, while singing the song (very slowly!) to yourself, softly strum each chord at the appropriate moment. Bingo! You are now playing the Ukulele!!! For a beginner, that's all you need to be doing. Over time, you add a few chords, you pick more exciting tunes, but the process is the same. Soon you will feel more confident in your playing, and you are on your way.

George nailed it. My first song was "You are my Sunshine", I knew it and could sing it. Guess what chords are in that song.......C, F, G

George nailed it. My first song was "You are my Sunshine", I knew it and could sing it. Guess what chords are in that song.......C, F, G
First Song I nailed was Jambalaya: Chords C and G7 (or D and A7) or (F and C7). Anyway that works for you. Once I learned Jambalaya in the Key of C, I relearned in the Key of D, then the key of F. You could also learn it in the key of G, G =0232, D7 = 2223 or D7 =2020. Practicing it makes those progressions Saldawop was talking about easier.

My next step was to play Jambalaya and modulate the key each verse. 1st v. Key of C - ( C,G7), 2nd v. key of D -(D,A7) 3rd v. key of F -(F,C7) etc. - Saldawop if this is confusing ignore it for now.

take some lessons. Try Guitar Center, some have lesson programs and it's worth the money. I was a music major on trumpet and thought I could teach myself. I wanted to play finger style and I just needed some guidance. My progress over the last 14 months has been amazing.

Thanks everyone. Will keep it simple.
Peanut, did look into lessons (in a group). Unfortunately due to my work patterns I struggle to make evening classes.But will have a look and see if I can find some at a more suitable time.

I am also a beginner. For me, it helps to divide my learning between learning to play songs (singing and strumming) and learning instrumental playing. For the instrumental playing I am using James Hill's method ($10/month at www.theukuleleway.com) supplemented by other chord-melody material from ukulelehunt.com and others. My singing and strumming is a lot more random but a lot of fun. Hopefully, someday the instrumental work and the singing&strumming work will come together into one thing. For now, though, I can only do one at a time.

As Uncle Rod points out, failing to master the "basics" may lead to years of frustration trying to learn too many things, at too many levels, all at the same time. The fundamentals should be mastered as slowly as you need to go in order to do them perfectly. This includes a good repertoire of fundamental chords in common major and minor keys, good/functional form in holding, fretting, picking and/or strumming the instrument. Trying to increase skill level without mastering what should be the "preceeding steps" will just lead to sloppy playing and more frustration. Seems like some players can increase skills very quickly while some of us need a lot more time. It's an individual brain thing, it takes as long as it takes.

I have never heard a G6 (0202) called a Hawaiian G, but I'm not very familiar with Hawaiian music.
Would a C6 (0000) be called a Hawaiian C?
Jim, I'm not familiar with Hawaiian music either. I recently saw the term used online. The G6 (0202) was called a Hawaiian G. It works pretty good as a workaround in a lot of situations. I think its a matter of: If it doesn't sound bad its OK. I wouldn't consider a C6 as a alternate to a C (0003) chord but by the same token I frequently notice I do use C6 (0000) in lieu of a C (0003). mostly when I'm jamming. -YMMV.

I myself started much the same overwhelmed trying many things with little focus or structure. After spending money on an online course that I never really bothered with I found uncle rods boot camp and everything he said made perfect sense. Add to this the simple dexterity exercises shown in the Mike Lynch videos on YouTube and you are on a very good road. I think I was reprimanded for pushing technique on a beginner once recommending that video and actually forgot about it until now.

Right now in the beginning speed is unimportant what is important is getting your fingers and hands to develop the muscles needed to play strings. It will happen the day when you realize you can play the first sheet of UBC from memory without looking at your hands. That was a very big day for me. The beauty about Mikes simple exercise is you can do it without much concentration at all. I frequently sit silently plucking away up and down the frets while my lady watches TV.

Another member said something that made much sense as well. Don't focus wide but instead focus deep. Find one song to play at first. Play it so many times that it becomes the thing that flies out of your fingers as you first pick up a ukulele. Let the song know you own it then move on.

When your ready to move on to strumming this guy seems like he's onto something good. Hell you can practice your strumming anywhere no instrument needed. I practice a lot on my seat belt in traffic.

Remember to relax and just have fun.

Top Bottom