Strings for ADF#B tuned sopranos

Tootler

Reaction score
A string broke today on one of my sopranos which I have tuned ADF#B. It was about 3 years old so was probably just age.

While I was putting on new strings I wondered whether it was worth looking for a replacement set specifically for D tuning, so I did a quick search and only found two. Aquila and D'Addario do sets for D tuned ukes. They are both nylon, though and I prefer fluorocarbon. I'm in the UK so maybe there's more choices elsewhere.

So far I have just used standard soprano strings and tuned them up and that has seemed to work OK. My other D tuned soprano is a Bruko and I just have the Pyramid Carbon strings it came with tuned up.

I have put living water on as replacements for the set for the one that broke and I'm hoping they will be OK.

3 years isn't bad but maybe I should change strings more often.

OTOH, I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought so if the strings sound OK why change them.

What do any of you who have D tuned ukuleles do about string choice?

We (GHS) have two sets of strings for D Tuning; the 10 Set which is clear nylon and the 20 Set, which is fluorocarbon.

I keep the 20 set on my soprano and really like the tone that tuning provides. I have other Ukes that can have C tuning; I'm keeping the soprano in D.

I love the D'Addario strings for that tuning. But if I wanted fluorocarbon strings tuned ADF#B, I'd try a set of concert or tenor strings. A soprano uke tuned ADF#B has about the same scale length as a concert or tenor uke tuned GCEA, but with a capo on the 2nd or 4th fret, respectively. I know tenor ukes feel nicer (more soprano-like tension) when tuned down a half step or a whole step, so a tenor set should feel good.

I love the D'Addario strings for that tuning. But if I wanted fluorocarbon strings tuned ADF#B, I'd try a set of concert or tenor strings. A soprano uke tuned ADF#B has about the same scale length as a concert or tenor uke tuned GCEA, but with a capo on the 2nd or 4th fret, respectively. I know tenor ukes feel nicer (more soprano-like tension) when tuned down a half step or a whole step, so a tenor set should feel good.

That's a good idea. The replacement set I put on were labelled soprano/concert so I reckoned they should be OK as they would cope with the higher tension of a concert tuned GCEA c/w soprano. I checked Ken Middleton's website and he uses the same diameters for his soprano & concert sets. So should definitely be OK. I like his strings.

When I change the strings on my Bruko, I'll maybe try a tenor set. I think I would prefer slightly lower tension. It's more comfortable not having to press so hard for a clear tone and makes chording easier generally.

My tenor is tuned down a minor 3rd and it both feels and sounds better and I have a concert tuned down a whole tone which also feels better.

Last edited:
Southcoast has strings for that tuning (and any other you can name)

Southcoast has strings for that tuning (and any other you can name)
I had thought about South Coast but I'm a little hesitant to order from across the pond because occasionally I get caught for VAT even on low value orders and end up paying the post office £8 for the privilege of them paying the VAT on my behalf (plus the VAT itself, of course). You don't get any choice. If you want the parcel you have to pay. I got caught that way on the last uke leash I ordered fro Lori and it almost doubled the price of the item.

Top Bottom