Comments

plunker

Reaction score
Since the wife and I don't go out on New years eve and the holiday rush is over, I have been siting here reading threads. I am amazed at the knowledge of some of the posters, as well as sophistication of an instrument that appears so simple initially. Do Uke players from Hawaii have any advantage over the rest of us? Something in the water, maybe? Or just more inspiring scenery?

Plunker I dunno too much about Hawaii or Hawaiians. They have wonderful vistas and superb musicians but there are other areas of the ukulele world that are not sluggards either.

Atlantic_Sunrise.jpg
Atlantic Sunrise

George-Formby.jpg
George Formby
Peters Mountain Sunset 2.jpg
Appalachian Sunset

YES, A Hawaiian vamp on a ukulele brings on a response on a cellular level and I not talking about phones.

If you've read anything I've written and I sounded well-informed, you're seriously mistaken!

If you've read anything I've written and I sounded well-informed, you're seriously mistaken!

I like that. Another one. ......." It's not what you know it's how loud you say it". Countered by "Empty barrels make alot of noise". None of this applies to you stevepetergal, just thought I would do my "barrel" impression and make some empty noise.

@plunker......I totally agree about how rich and complex a sound this wee uke can make.

The people of Hawaii have all been exposed to the instrument's sound from birth. It doesn't matter if they have ever played the ukulele; their friends certainly have/do. My mom, aunt, uncle, late grandma, whether they are aware of it or not, have an "ear" for the ukulele. It's cultural, and part of their being. My sister played the uke for one year as part of the public school curriculum in Hawaii in the late 60's. She recently visited me in the Bay Area and after I played for her, I handed her my uke. She instantly, and very deftly, went through the basic chords in the basic vamp strum. It was astounding. Ever been to a large family garage/backyard gathering in Hawaii? At some point, this instrument will likely make its appearance, especially on the neighbor islands or rural Oahu. It will be then passed around, someone will start singing, but in all of this, the party will continue - all this activity simply providing background to the ongoing chatter and laughter. And the sound of music - ukulele, slack key guitar, will infiltrate the minds of the kids, becoming part of their being. For real.

Ukulele Ike (Cliff Edwards) was from Illinois.
Pennsylvania produced Martin Ukuleles and Roy Smeck.
Harmony probably produced more ukuleles in one year than any company in America, they were made in Chicago.
Gretsch, Favilla made in NY.

Ukulele Ike (Cliff Edwards) was from Illinois.
Pennsylvania produced Martin Ukuleles and Roy Smeck.
Harmony probably produced more ukuleles in one year than any company in America, they were made in Chicago.
Gretsch, Favilla made in NY.

And George Formby was from Lancasire in England and, although he is best known for playing banjo ukulele, he did also play a conventional ukulele.

Hawaiian ukulele is not all ukulele, as Spanish guitar is not all guitar. Instruments are world travelers and pick up different cultural influences every step of the way.

Last edited:
Do Uke players from Hawaii have any advantage over the rest of us? Something in the water, maybe? Or just more inspiring scenery?

I don't think geographic origin has much to do with it. Exposure to listening to and playing music in childhood sure helps though! I don't think it's instrument-specific though any more than I think it's geography-specific; in my experience with uke players, those of us who played something, anything as a kid have an easier time learning the uke as an adult than those who didn't.

Top Bottom