PDA

View Full Version : A quick question re top/soundboard

DazW
01-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Hi all, could anyone please explain to me why the ukulele top in this vid extends over the neck in one piece? Is this a common method when using Spanish heel? I'll be honest its puzzled me a little and its something I've not seen in other uke build vids. Cheers

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GlB1wua-_mQ

DennisK
01-02-2015, 05:28 AM
Never seen it done like that before. Spanish heel method usually starts with cutting a ledge in the headblock portion of the neck and gluing the soundboard to it, before the ribs go on. But to glue soundboard last, it would definitely be easier if the whole neck, headblock and rib surface is coplanar like this, rather than trying to maintain a "ledge" all the way around the sides.

So... not common, but not a bad method. Also the neck shim portion doesn't necessarily need to be contiguous with the soundboard, so you wouldn't always be stuck with a spruce stripe on the neck, or needing large pieces of wood to make the soundboard from.

Timbuck
01-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Yes! that's the way Dave makes e'm ......it removes the step problem common to the Spanish heel method of building.

DazW
01-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for your replies. I did wonder about the neck part and presumed this method would only be suited to all same wood instruments, if that's not the case that's great. As a beginner I do like this method and having already decided to have a go at Spanish heel I may try it like this first.
I did try and get my head around your 'step' method Timbuck, still thinking about that one! Cheers

Matt Clara
01-02-2015, 07:05 AM
I've noted that my ukes with hardwood necks have longer sustain, so I wonder what adding a layer of softwood between neck and fretboard might do to sustain. Just things to think about.

ksquine
01-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Seems like a big waste of wood to me. He might have had two tops out of that set if he cut it at the neck joint.
I do like his clamp jig though

DennisK
01-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Seems like a big waste of wood to me. He might have had two tops out of that set if he cut it at the neck joint.
Not necessarily. If you have a wide piece of wood, you could fit them together like this:

Matt Clara
01-02-2015, 07:54 AM

Dave makes his wood out of his yearly firewood pile. Not sure if that's true of his tops, too, but I wouldn't be surprised. All the same, though I like his videos and find them very helpful for a beginner, I wince whenever I see the soundboard going all the way up the neck.