Gold fretbaord markers

Foxfish

Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to add some gold coloured 4-6mm fret board markers to my baritone uke .
The problem is I cant find any for sale... can anyone recommend a source?
Thanks Fox.

I prefer to use Gold MOP for my fret markers, but you could also try brass. Cut some from round stock in the diameter you require. But keep in mind that it will tarnish.

Thanks guys, I can see the MOP dots for sale in the UK & also some gold mother of pearl on Amazon but I really wanted "shiny" gold like the frets themselves!

Brass might work but a bit more trouble making them up... I am surprised there are so few option's available!

I was wondering about a metallic pigment in some epoxy but really, I hope to find something ready sized and available.
Perhaps a visit to a craft shop or even a jeweller (I do have a spare wedding ring)

I've never worked with gold leaf, but it's available on Amazon.com.
Apparently, people wrap chocolates in small sheets of it.
Very little will be more realistically gold colored than real gold.

They do make a type brass that is used as a substitute for gold in jewelry applications. I think Rio Grande carries it but you would likely have to make your own dots from sheet. You might get a nice result from jewelry resin. You can get fillers of just about any color and material you can imagine.

Last edited:
Repurposing gold stud earnings might be the most readily available. A propper jeweller (not a chain jewelry store) or watchmaker might knock you out some.
Dentists and dental prosthetists are the other people who regularly work gold.
Or read up and cast some or cut some from sheet yourself.

On a cheaper tack, in the cigar box guitar world screw heads (usually countersunk) are sometimes a feature on fretboards. Nice small brass or 'gold passivated' solid and plated screws can be got at all hardware stores I have been in.

Top Bottom