Is there a formula for string diameter when using alternate tunings

hammer40

Reaction score
I have been trying different tunings (on the baritone) and had a string pop after it had been on for a few days at the higher tension. Going up or down a small amount isn't an issue but the baritone set i have just can't seem to take going up to Bb tuning (from the normal DGBE). I had a set of Galli UX780 baritone fluorocarbon strings on there, which I really liked. The first string is the one that keeps breaking. The diameters are 1).022 2).027 3).024w 4).030w.

So I was wondering how you can figure out the proper diameters to use. I have searched around and can't seem to come up with anything. I know Southcoast has a set for Bb on the baritone, but how do I calculate it if I want to try some single classical strings?

I love the Bb tuning on the baritone and want to stay there. So I hope somebody can explain it to me.

D'Addario String Tension Guide

The first couple of pages will explain everything you need, but you need three key pieces of information: scale length of your instrument, frequency of the note you will tune the string to, and the unit weight of said string (in lbs/lin in). You can use this chart as a rough approximation for other brands of strings that are similar but not available with a chart; won't get exact, but you want to get close enough.

And FYI, classical guitar strings and ukulele strings are one and the same. They're both considered tie end strings, where the only difference might be a ukulele string is trimmed shorter than it would if it was packaged as a classical guitar string.

I'd suggest you contact Dirk. Very few people have regretted switching to Southcoast strings for their baritone.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

As I mentioned in my original post, I know Southcoast has a set. I would like to try other brands. I have Southcaost on two ukes right now, so I am familiar with their strings. Unless you try other strings, you will never know what might be best for a particular instrument. I just have a hard time figuring out how to determine the diameter I need for the higher alternate tuning.

As I mentioned in my original post, I know Southcoast has a set. I would like to try other brands. I have Southcaost on two ukes right now, so I am familiar with their strings. Unless you try other strings, you will never know what might be best for a particular instrument. I just have a hard time figuring out how to determine the diameter I need for the higher alternate tuning.

Was not talking about their standard bari set which I assume you are referring to. Rather, I Was thinking more along the lines of their "deep tuning" baritone sets and their single strings to formulate a custom set. Dirk best person I know of to provide guidance on those string diameters (regardless of which brand you end up with)

Was not talking about their standard bari set which I assume you are referring to. Rather, I Was thinking more along the lines of their "deep tuning" baritone sets and their single strings to formulate a custom set. Dirk best person I know of to provide guidance on those string diameters (regardless of which brand you end up with)

I wasn't referring to the standard baritone set either. I know he has a couple of sets that can be tuned to Bb, each with a differing tension. The HML-RW: Heavy Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ round wound basses, HML-FW: Heavy Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ flat wound basses, ML-SW: Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ smooth wound basses, and LML-RW: Light Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ round wound basses.

I was hoping to learn how to figure out the diameters for myself. I wanted to try a string set other than Southcoast. I have read the link One Bad Monkey provided, but to be honest I'm very confused by it. I freely admit I'm ignorant on this subject, and was hoping to be educated on it.

If I can't figure it out, than yes, I will just get another set from Southcoast.

Give me a day or so and I'll write up a walk through for you. It IS confusing, but it will open up the possibilities of putting any type of string you want on your ukuleles.

I may not be much help to you but here goes. If your first string (.022") is breaking, you need a slightly thinner string. I use Seaquar Blue Label clear fluorocarbon fishing line on all of my instruments. Their 30 pound test line is .020" which should work out for you. Their next thinnest line is their 25 pound test line is .017" which would probably be too thin.

You can buy Seaquar Blue Label clear fluorocarbon fishing line at:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Seaguar-Blue-Label-Fluorocarbon-Leader-Material-Yard-Spool/742876.uts

I have all sizes of Seaquar from 25 pound test through 100 pound test. I use it almost exclusively on my instruments.

I'll send you a sample of the 30 pound test line if you want to try it out. Just PM me and send me your address and I'll send it to you.

Give me a day or so and I'll write up a walk through for you. It IS confusing, but it will open up the possibilities of putting any type of string you want on your ukuleles.

I would really be interested in seeing that write up. That would be fantastic.

I've been waiting years for this.

Is it as simple as that? Ie, the length/diameter, vs note?
I was at the local music shop the other day, looking at their tenor strings.
They had 2 different kinds of D'adario. One was black and one "hawaiian".
When I flipped the packages, the tensions, and diameters were all different, even though both were nylon and from the same company.

Any progress on that write up that you mentioned?

Sadly not yet. I'm currently at the NAMM show, and the two weeks prior to this have been keeping my attention focused on getting the booth ready. This week when I get back I can look at what I've already started writing and move forward on it.

Top Bottom