Leffty Uke Player Help

datfencer

Reaction score
So I write with my right hand and do almost everything else with my left hand. I bought a righty uke (leftys were like 350) and was wondering if anyone has been in the same position. I played the guitar (in school like 4 years ago) and played left handed.

Hm . . . I write left-handed and do most things right-handed . . .

Unless you have a cutaway on the ukulele, you should be able to re-string it for left-handed play. There are several threads here that explain how and the pros and cons of doing so.

If you are looking for left-handed chord diagrams, I wrote a website that generates chord diagrams using the chord library from a great program called "Chordious" written by Jon Thysell, who is also a member here at Ukulele Underground.

http://chordiousweb.gear.host

Select "Ukulele" from the list of instruments.
Select the tuning of your instrument. (probably standard C6 tuning - GCEA)
Select the chord you want.
Select the chord quality that you want (i.e. Major, Minor, Dominate 7th, Diminished, etc...)
At the bottom of the options section, Look for the check box marked "Mirror Results" this will generate the left-handed chord diagrams.
Click the button marked "Find Chords"

The other options you can ignore for the time being, but feel free to play around with them.

NOTE: The chord diagrams that are generated are based upon the rules of music theory. Some of the chord diagrams that are generated are NOT finger friendly! So even though the chord is correct musically, it won't be playable. The four string instruments aren't so bad (ie,e Ukulele, Mandolin, Mandola, etc...) but the six string instruments can create some weird diagrams.

P.S. Jon does know about the project and has given his blessing on it. I have given him full credit for his work on the core libraries and lots of links to the main "Chordious" application which I highly recommend if you want to save chord diagrams for your own use.

Since you are somewhat ambidextrous, perhaps playing right handed will come easy to you. Give it a try and choose which you like better. Will sure make buying ukes easier.

I am left-handed, and play left handed on both guitar and uke.

If your left hand is dominant, it should IMHO be used for rhythm - strumming, which is important feature of instrument playing, and lot harder to (re)learn compared to fretting.
As a beginner, i didn't know how to strum either way, so it made no sense at all to use my more agile hand on the instrument neck (one of the arguments, not that valid IMHO, used when people are hinting newbies).
However, the progress is lot better if you don't have to rewire your rhythmic internals to less agile hand. (+ i noticed now that you already played lefty guitar)

The only real "disadvantage" i can see is, that you cannot grab any instrument to play (either to borrow or buy cutaways etc.).
If you want to save time in your progress, and don't need ability to play any random uke/guitar (majority is still right-handed), go lefty.

Top Bottom