Cannot find this ukulele Anywhere!!!

Ukejenny

Reaction score
A friend of mine got a ukulele for Christmas. Here is what she says is on the instrument:

Laurel Canyon LUK-70/N

I Googled it and got nothing. Nothing!

Did it come in a box? If Google can't locate it, then you might get lucky and find a manufacturers address and phone number on the box it came in.

I cross referenced "Laurel Canyon" and "ukulele" and found an interesting page over at the Martin Guitar website. Apparently Laurel Canyon is a place in California associated with several big names in music. However, Martin doesn't have a Laurel Canyon line or anything on their site with a model #LUK-70/N.

I almost wonder if it might be something built by a luthier somewhere (California) who just hasn't made a name for himself yet. If you don't have any luck tracking down a manufacturer you might cross post this on the luthier forum...

Native Calfornian here - Laurel Canyon was a big music scene in the late 1960s and early 1970s, e.g. the Byrds, the Eagles, Joni Mitchell, etc. I'm doubtful that the uke in question has anything to do with that, or with Martin guitars; the site that D3B7 linked above has several more Laurel Canyon guitars and they are all extremely inexpensive laminates. So I suspect that the uke in question is probably an Asian factory uke specifically branded for the Music Arts store.

I found an online catalog from Music Arts that had more Laurel Canyon guitars and a logo, in case that helps:

Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.35.46 PM.jpg

My recommendation to the OP is to contact Music Arts and ask if they ever offered ukes under that brand name.

I almost wonder if it might be something built by a luthier somewhere (California) who just hasn't made a name for himself yet. If you don't have any luck tracking down a manufacturer you might cross post this on the luthier forum...

At those prices, it's no American luthier. No, this looks like Chinese-made instruments, slapped with a label and distributed to music stores as beginner-grade starter pieces.

Or, ya know, what janeray said.

Please ask your friend to take pictures of the label in the soundbox, of the headstock and of any other markings that may help.

I know that this is a relatively old thread, but for anyone considering buying this ukulele, I discovered from my local "Music & Arts" store that this is apparently the same ukulele as the Mitchell-MU70 concert size. I was interested in buying the Mitchell when I saw it on their website. When I visited their store just to take a look, I couldn't find the Mitchell, but I saw a uke that looked identical to it, except the brand was Laurel Canyon. A few days later, I called the store and asked if they had any of the Mitchells in stock, and they said no, but then explained to me that Mitchell is Laurel Canyon now and so basically the Laurel Canyon LUK-70 is the same ukulele. Although I really outta call a more credible carrier like Guitar Center to see if this is true, I'm going to take their word for it, and hopefully purchase one soon. Do you guys think it's worth the risk? Fingers crossed it's the same!You can take a look and compare the models if you wish:

Laurel Canyon LUK-70:
http://laurelcanyonguitarsonline.com/ukuleles/luk-70/

Mitchell MU-70:
http://mitchellguitars.com/product/mitchell-mu70-ukulele/

Last edited:
good job, muhriah!

Yup.........http://laurelcanyonguitarsonline.com/ukuleles/luk-70/

I know that this is a relatively old thread, but for anyone considering buying this ukulele, I discovered from my local "Music & Arts" store that this is apparently the same ukulele as the Mitchell-MU70 concert size. I was interested in buying the Mitchell when I saw it on their website. When I visited their store just to take a look, I couldn't find the Mitchell, but I saw a uke that looked identical to it, except the brand was Laurel Canyon. A few days later, I called the store and asked if they had any of the Mitchells in stock, and they said no, but then explained to me that Mitchell is Laurel Canyon now and so basically the Laurel Canyon LUK-70 is the same ukulele. Although I really outta call a more credible carrier like Guitar Center to see if this is true, I'm going to take their word for it, and hopefully purchase one soon. Do you guys think it's worth the risk? Fingers crossed it's the same!You can take a look and compare the models if you wish:

Laurel Canyon LUK-70:
http://laurelcanyonguitarsonline.com/ukuleles/luk-70/

Mitchell MU-70:
http://mitchellguitars.com/product/mitchell-mu70-ukulele/

Soooooo...

Is/was Mitchell Guitars in any way associated with Joni Mitchell? I believe Mitchell Guitars is based out of California.

I find the spelling of Mitchell and the new name too much of a coincidence.

John

Soooooo...

Is/was Mitchell Guitars in any way associated with Joni Mitchell? I believe Mitchell Guitars is based out of California.

I find the spelling of Mitchell and the new name too much of a coincidence.

John

No, Mitchell is simply a common name. I don't think any connection is implied (did Joni ever play a uke anyway?)
They are sort of Guitar Center's house brand, as far as ukes go.
It's not a brand I would ever buy, myself. It's the typical Chinese high-gloss laminate stuff.

OT but Laurel Canyon used to be hella fun to drive fast in something low and sporty. Maybe 20 years ago. Haven't been over for a number of years but I expect it's basically a parking lot now during high volume traffic hours..

I was actually wondering. I realize being associated with a guitar importer is out of character for the anti-establishment persona, but people move on. Laurel Canyon is such an odd name to dig up after all these years, but it seems their website wants to make a connection to the sixties even though the company is in Maryland. Go figure?

John

I'm new to the forum and had to chime in here...As I came across a used Laurel Canyon LUK 70 at Music Go Round today...The Laurel Canyon Ukes are indeed identical to Mitchell which are a guitar Center house brand...I did some research a while back after buying a few Mitchells (and liking them I might add) and found out they are made by Samick...hope that is of interest to anybody...LOL I see this is an old thread

I'm new to the forum and had to chime in here...As I came across a used Laurel Canyon LUK 70 at Music Go Round today...The Laurel Canyon Ukes are indeed identical to Mitchell which are a guitar Center house brand...I did some research a while back after buying a few Mitchells (and liking them I might add) and found out they are made by Samick...hope that is of interest to anybody...LOL I see this is an old thread
Well, news ain’t stale if you ain’t heard it before. I didn’t know Mitchell was a Guitar Center house brand.

PS: Welcome to Ukulele Underground, @OlafD!

Top Bottom