Season 151 Break ups & their aftermath

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 151.

I hope you all watch the intro video; but for those who don't, here is a summary of my plans for the season. If you are going to watch the video stop reading now SPOILERS!

THEME: “Breaking up is hard to do” (Aftermath).

Like the Green Manalishi's crown, this is a two-pronged Season ;) )

Firstly – There is the songwriting section. Here the main prize is my Brazilian Cavaquinho (otherwise known as a Baritone Ukulele). Watch the Intro Video to hear it.

To win this prize you need to submit ONE original composition on the theme of either a break up or the aftermath of a break up.

NOTE: If you submit ONE and then later in the week are inspired to write the song of your life, I will simply take your second entry as the one that is up for the prize.

PLEASE INCLUDE LYRICS WITH YOUR SUBMISSIONS – either on the Season itself or (preferably) in the YouTube description of your video.

Basically the choice of theme is designed to inspire you to write a song, because (unless you are still living with your childhood sweetheart) you will almost certainly have been through a break up or a few.

Often the hard thing with writing songs is not knowing what to write a song about. So, if you play back in your mind one of those painful (or educational) break ups (or re-encounters) I am sure you can come up with a song to touch us that we can all empathise with.

I'll be judging the songs on what I am going to call the Joni Mitchell rule. That is on how well the song communicates the full experience to the listener. Though I'll also be happy to hear songs that follow the Pabrizzer Rule (short and sweet and to the point).

FIRST TIME SONGWRITERS PLEASE MENTION THIS AS YOU'LL GET BONUS POINTS

Secondly – for those who don't (or won't) write songs, I will accept any song from any artist that deals with a break up or the aftermath of such a break up. All such songs will go on the Covers List.

When I come to judge the week, the winner will get the Cavaquinho/Baritone Uke. Then I'll draw a name out of a hat from among all of those who either submitted a cover or an original (excepting the winner of the Uke) and there will be a Second Prize for that lucky person. I will decide what that should be when I see who fate has chosen to receive it.

The only rule that applies is the video you make should feature at least one Ukulele!

You can multi-track to your heart's content – get creative with the visuals or the sound, etc. But don't forget that the focus is on the song!

To give you a clearer idea of the theme I have done two videos (see Originals List BELOW ) one dealing with one of my more painful break ups and the other outlining a chance meeting with an old flame years after we had gone our separate ways.

PLEASE LISTEN TO THESE AS THEY ARE BASICALLY MY SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS SEASON

Finally, I would like to dedicate this entire season to the memory of UkeyDave who I never met, but who, I am sure, I would have really got on well with.

Long live the seasons!

ORIGINALS PLAY LIST

COVERS PLAY LIST

STOP PRESS - Hey people! You can keep writing and submitting songs as long as you tell me which one you want me to consider for the prize. OK?

Last edited:
Welp, here goes nothing. I actually wrote this for the last season, 150, as it has to do with a love connection on the Jersey shore, where I grew up in the summers of yore. Anyway, there's not too much in there to make that connection to whoever hears it, I ultimately thought; so I left it alone. I guess it fits here, though. I suppose it's an "aftermath" since I die at the end before we're able to reconcile lol. -- Matt

PSA: there are a couple of g'damns in here, so everyone knows. Sorry if it offends anyone as it isn't meant to. I'm gonna try to keep up with this season and comment and stuff. It's usually daunting for me to do so since I work a lot and can't really watch videos and such. That said, I do check in when able as much as possible… Awesome songs, Berni! Mine aren't nearly as well thought out or dynamic, so now I'll cringe and present:

Uh Oh soupking - you just earned yourself a 45 minute lecture from UkeCan1 on posting times...

Berni - it still amazes me how this whole song writing things comes so easy to some of you. You present it as if its like driving to the store...I just want to run and hide.

Uh Oh soupking - you just earned yourself a 45 minute lecture from UkeCan1 on posting times...

Berni - it still amazes me how this whole song writing things comes so easy to some of you. You present it as if its like driving to the store...I just want to run and hide.

Doh! Sorry, guys. See? This why I usually keep my head buried in the sand. Haha. It's too much info to keep up with. Apologies to UkeCan1 for being too dim-witted to follow along! I'm gonna go drink another beer :( -- Matt

SoupKing. I never really sort out the time thing for the Seasons. My Browser tells me it is currently Saturday 3rd december 13:18. So I think you may have jumped the gun a little. That's partly my fault, because I should have issued the standard warning about not posting before early Sunday Morning Hawaiian time. Am I right about this Wendy? I was posting relatively early to give folks time to get their songwriting caps on. So, I promise I will listen to your song. But I won't do it until tomorrow morning, by which time it'll be Sunday in Hawaii. That is unless someone more knowledgeable about time zones tells me otherwise.

Thanks for kicking the Season off anyway.

Go on give it a go. You don't know you can do a thing until you try it. I am convinced it is not so difficult and the more you do it, the better you get.

It'll be me that deserves the ticking off for not adding the standard warning about not posting before Sunday in Hawaii.

SoupKing. I never really sort out the time thing for the Seasons. My Browser tells me it is currently Saturday 3rd december 13:18. So I think you may have jumped the gun a little. That's partly my fault, because I should have issued the standard warning about not posting before early Sunday Morning Hawaiian time. Am I right about this Wendy? I was posting relatively early to give folks time to get their songwriting caps on. So, I promise I will listen to your song. But I won't do it until tomorrow morning, by which time it'll be Sunday in Hawaii. That is unless someone more knowledgeable about time zones tells me otherwise.

Thanks for kicking the Season off anyway.

The funny thing is I thought you posted this Season late. It's all too much! In any event, I take responsibility for being a bonehead. Haha

Last edited:

Ummmm, Who made Wendy the School Master, leader of the gang, large and in charge, ruler of the helm?

Ummmm, Who made Wendy the School Master, leader of the gang, large and in charge, ruler of the helm?

Uh oh ...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Is this a rift , a break ?

A shift to an ache ?

A song I feel coming on ?

A spat ,a row, or is it

perhaps somehow

A se-e-rious quest - i - on?

And have I got to think of a bloody tune to go with this.......???

and will somebody complain

to the moderators again

that Jarvo has gone all potty mouth ?:)

What a Norf and Sarf....

Not implied, Linda. It's just that Wendy did a great post on how the time thing works out recently - though I can't find it. I was also asking her because she is the current host until my Season officially kicks off in a few hours time. (If I understand the time thing rightly).

Not implied, Linda. It's just that Wendy did a great post on how the time thing works out recently - though I can't find it. I was also asking her because she is the current host until my Season officially kicks off in a few hours time. (If I understand the time thing rightly).

You understand right. Im just tired. So tired I won't explain myself. Good for you Berni for respecting the 150 time zone.

Am I the only one that finds it amazing that we got along fine before all the wendy directions?!

Uh oh ...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Is this a rift , a break ?

A shift to an ache ?

A song I feel coming on ?

A spat ,a row, or is it

perhaps somehow

A se-e-rious quest - i - on?

And have I got to think of a bloody tune to go with this.......???

and will somebody complain

to the moderators again

that Jarvo has gone all potty mouth ?:)

What a Norf and Sarf....

Your welcome for the material CJ ;-)

BTW Berni, I claim no responsibility for my crazy self. What I meant to say when I posted was

Coolest accent ever! Coolest prize ever! And really fun opening video Berni.

I'll give my vote. :)

The time thing is rather confusing.

Yeah now if I only had the chops to post a video.
If you like to play ukulele this is a great group of folks to hang out with. No one cares if your vid isn't perfect. Or what your skill level is. We just have fun playing tunes around a different theme every week. Jump on in - it's a good time. :)

Here's what I just posted over in Season 150 ... which still has one full day and 6.5 hours to go!

Just a quick note to be sure everyone knows that, although the Season 151 theme has been posted so you can prepare for it, there is still one full day plus nearly 7 hours to go for Season 150! So if you were planning an entry there, there is still plenty of time.

Seasons are EIGHT DAYS and overlap by one full day ... so Season 151 starts 7 hours from now - at midnight Sunday morning Hawaii time, 2am Sunday PST, 5am Sunday EST, 10am Sunday UK time, 11am Sunday in Europe, and some time late Sunday in Australasia.

Season 150 ends Monday morning at midnight Hawaii time, 2am Monday PST, 5am Monday EST, 10am Monday UK time, 11am Monday in Europe, and some time late Monday in Australasia - 24 hours AFTER Season 151 begins.

[Click on the two links above to see the start and end times in your local time zone.]

Right now it is still Season 150 ONLY ... in 6.5 hours you will have one full day with BOTH Seasons open ... and then Season 150 will close and Season 151 will continue for 7 more days.

So please keep posting your wonderful entries for Season 150 ... and in a few more hours, you can start posting here in Season 151 too!

Berni, I love that you are giving away a uke for original songs! Challenging theme ... so many breakup songs have already been written ... it's going to be interesting finding something compelling and new to say. Of course, my mind is already busy chugging away at it when I should be watching New Jersey song videos ... so I'm headed back over there now, and will return when that's done!

Matt, your wonderful song may be early for Season 151, but it is right on time for Season 150. Please go post it over there so we can welcome you in both places. You have all day tomorrow to enter there.

Please don't feel bad ... at least one person publicly confuses Seasons times pretty much every single week - and those are just the ones we hear from. Eight overlapping days and time zones are inherently confusing until you get the hang of it - even some veteran Seasonistas sometimes get confused about it. So no shame in it - you're in excellent company.

I meant to post more frequent timing notices this week than I did, and especially today ... but I was out. Hopefully now it's a bit clearer.

Oof. I just did the break-up thing. Hopefully I can come up with something.

Top Bottom