Question about early 00's Mele ukes

Captain Simian

Reaction score
I'm being offered a Mele soprano at a pretty decent price but I'm wondering what the quality is like on the early 2000's ukes. I'm waiting for pictures but the seller says it's a 2003 and is unsure if it's a solid or laminate. Has Mele ever made a laminate uke?

I'm being offered a Mele soprano at a pretty decent price but I'm wondering what the quality is like on the early 2000's ukes. I'm waiting for pictures but the seller says it's a 2003 and is unsure if it's a solid or laminate. Has Mele ever made a laminate uke?

Mele has a separate line these days for laminated ukuleles called Hula. I suspect that anything with the Mele name is solid but I can't be certain. I'm sure they would be happy to answer you if you asked them directly. http://www.meleukulele.com

Anthony

During your time frame there was a laminate version that I believe was called Hula. But hula ukes may have come along after that time frame.
Braddah ukes were Mele's mahogany line. Eventually they just labeled everything Mele. Also there was a kalia line that was made in Mexico. But those weren't as common and weren't as well built. So if the label and neck say Mele, it'll be solid wood.

During your time frame there was a laminate version that I believe was called Hula. But hula ukes may have come along after that time frame.
Braddah ukes were Mele's mahogany line. Eventually they just labeled everything Mele. Also there was a kalia line that was made in Mexico. But those weren't as common and weren't as well built. So if the label and neck say Mele, it'll be solid wood.

I'm a mele fan. So if I'm going import, mele is my preferred brand.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still waiting on pictures but he says it says Mele on the headstock. I'll have to wait and see when I get pictures.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still waiting on pictures but he says it says Mele on the headstock. I'll have to wait and see when I get pictures.

I just bought one off eBay. It ended up being a kalia soprano. Not upset, but not exactly happy. Label said mele and so did the headstock. The person I bought it from just didn't know. No biggie. I was only bidder so got a good price on it. If this uke is a mahogany, you should enjoy the sound. I think they have the best sounding mahogany ukes.

Top Bottom