What are the best Hawaiian songs to learn on the Ukulele?

MassPrimeSyndicate

Reaction score
I have been struggling to find good classic hawaiian songs on the ukulele. Now i'm not talking about easy strum chord progressions (like somewhere over the rainbow) but advanced fingerpicking stuff, maybe with a Ka'au crater boys feel (p.s. if anyone has any of there stuff as well please share :) ) the reason i put this is the uke talk forum instead of the song help is because i also thought we could discuss our favorite hawaiian song :D

Try drop baby drop. The chord progressions are easy (only 4) and the finger picking for the solo is a little challenging

Want a challenge? Learn On Fire -- Ka'au Crater Boys. If you want something not so difficult, try Guava Jam. You can get some great tabs from Dominator's tab site. That's where I got tabs for Guava Jam. He also has TNC. That one isn't horrible to learn either. I am a real Ka'au Crater Boys/Troy Fernandez fan. I would love to learn Wahine 'Ilikea.

I started out with Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom's recording of 'Hale'iwa Hula'. Easy enough to learn and fun to play.

Best if very subjective, but Here are a bunch: He Mele Aloha: A Hawaiian Songbook

I may as well throw this up again. Although the songs are shortened, you should get a good mix here. Let me know if any songs you need to know the title.

I hope this helps some.

Note: Ramon uses GCEA tuning on the Tiple, but ACEA tuning on the `ukulele, so his fingering and chord structure will look weird if you're trying to figure it out. Basically, if he barres the chord (making the 1st and 4th string match), just look at the bottom three strings to figure out the chord.

Last edited:
Top Bottom