Can you play Puerto Rican Plena on the ukulele?

Rllink

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you can play Puerto Rican Plena music on a ukulele with re-entrant tuning?

I was just wondering if you can play Puerto Rican Plena music on a ukulele with re-entrant tuning?
Of course you can, you can play whatever you want on a ukulele. I was playing my ukulele with a Plena band at a parranda, a Puerto Rican holiday tradition, on Saturday night. Plena is often sung in the key of A, and can be played on the ukulele using as little as two chords, an A and an E7. You can certainly throw a D or D7 in there as well, if the music moves you. Also Plena is very very loud, with a lot of percussion, so no one will hear you anyway, which makes playing Plena in public with a plena band is a perfect opportunity to experiment and stretch those boundaries.

Last edited:
I've only heard Plena music a coupla times, but people on the UU seem to think that ANY music can be played on a ukulele. If it uses regular music, one should be able to fingerpick it, and chords is chords.

G'wan! Full speed ahead! :eek:ld:

I've only heard Plena music a coupla times, but people on the UU seem to think that ANY music can be played on a ukulele. If it uses regular music, one should be able to fingerpick it, and chords is chords.

G'wan! Full speed ahead! :eek:ld:
I know Dick, I was kind of being a little tongue in cheek with the "can I" thread. If you read post 2, I answered my own question. I'm actually hoping I'm the first, but I doubt that I am. It actually never dawned on me to doubt that I could though. The real point of the thread is to brag about playing my first gig with a Puerto Rican Plena band. Actually, it is the first band that I have ever played with, so I'm cutting my teeth on Plena.

Last edited:
I know Dick, I was kind of being a little tongue in cheek with the "can I" thread. If you read post 2, I answered my own question. I'm actually hoping I'm the first, but I doubt that I am. It actually never dawned on me to doubt that I could though. The real point of the thread is to brag about playing my first gig with a Puerto Rican Plena band. Actually, it is the first band that I have ever played with, so I'm cutting my teeth on Plena.

Well done, amigo.

I actually play a variety of Latin genres on the ukulele. Lately, I have been playing mostly Cuban Son and Afro-Cuban Jazz, but there is really no limit: Cumbia, Salsa, Bachata, etc. There are quite a few players out there tearing up the Brazilian varieties on the ukulele as well. (Kimo Hussey comes immediately to mind, but he is not alone.)

Top Bottom