PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster CT Quality control

Chris_H
01-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I hace been using the Woodmaster CT blade for the past 2 years, moving to that from the Resaw King blades. I run these on a Mini-Max saw. The blades are cut at 103" and I use the 2TPI 0.035 kerf blades.

My sixth or seventh blade arrived last Friday and I put it immediately on the saw for some cutting. As soon as the blade bit into the wood, 'thump, thump, thump....' I knew that it was the weld,. and that the blade was getting sent back to the manufacturer, but I kept cutting. 5 pieces of Wenge, about 1" x 6" x 30" cut into 3/8" x 1" strips. When the blade stopped, the first 5 teeth beneath the weld were gone. I raised the upper set of guides and put a straight edge on the blade, it rocked at the weld.

This is 2 Woodmaster CT blades out of 7 blades that have been this way. I called Spectrum Supply, and they are taking care of it right away, which I appreciate very much.

How many of you all who are using the Woodmaster CT blades have had this experience? 2 for 7 is bad odds. The others have cut beautifully. I want to keep using these blades, but it is a PITA to have this happen.

When viewing the cut in the wood, the place where the weld passes through the board is cut about 0.010" more deeply, perhaps a little more. Multiply that by two rough cut surfaces per slice, and this starts to be an expensive blade.

Kekani
01-05-2015, 06:40 PM
I've started with the Woodmaster B on a Hitachi CB75 (modified somewhat), which I got from Oregon Industrial. They were great from the start.

I do have a CT on right now, and when I swapped out my guides to Carters, I noticed some sparks when it hit the thrust bearing. I figured it was the back of the weld, so I rounded the back with a file (as I read in a book somewhere). Worked well.

At this level of blade, the weld makes a big difference. Unfortunately, I don't know where the CT's came from, but fortunately, it was handed to me, and I have spares on the side (along with a few B's and C's, just in case I need to mill someday - got a log of Milo sitting somewhere).

Not sure how I found Oregon Industrial, but if Spectrum is replacing, there's something to be said about customer service. I'll take a guess they're going to send you a blade with a good weld.

Michael Smith
01-05-2015, 07:33 PM
I believe you have a Spectrum Supply problem not a Lenox problem. Spectrum like all bandsaw blade sellers buy bands in several hundred foot rolls and welds them to order. Spectrum seems to be a high volume low margin blade seller. I have thought at times their welding could have been better but they have repaired without question any problems that I have had so that along with their excellent prices is good enough for me.

103 inch blades. How small are your wheels Chris? That blade probably isn't designed to run on less than 17" wheels.

Kekani
01-05-2015, 09:39 PM
I believe you have a Spectrum Supply problem not a Lenox problem.
Yup.

103 inch blades. How small are your wheels Chris? That blade probably isn't designed to run on less than 17" wheels.
Good point! Although my Hitachi is a "14", the wheels are 16". I figure if it can run a 3" wide Stellite blade, a 1" wide Woodmaster should be no problem. The blades haven't grumbled, yet.

Chris_H
01-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Whoops.. the blade is 153", not 103". The wheels are 17".

And yes, it is a Spectrum Supply issue, not a Lennox issue. I guess that is clarified for me now.

Kekani
01-06-2015, 10:00 AM
So I guess the real point now is, since you're on your 7th CT blade, two of which were bad (not due to the CT per say), you consider this a better blade than the Resaw King, yes?

I haven't tried the Laguna blade, but it looks to be like a pretty smooth cutting blade, but one that could heat up fast, no?

Chris_H
01-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Yes... The first CT I put on I liked much better than the Resaw Kings. The cut was every bit as good, and the price is much less. There is a lot more Carbide in the Resaw King, which is one of their selling points, that is can be re-sharpened a couple of times.

I have stopped sending table saw blades off to be resharpened. Some blades, when new, touch only one thing and nothing else, then as they wear, then I will use them how I see fit, and toss them or give them away when they are done. The cost of sharpening is significant, and I have yet to see a resharpened blade come back cutting better than new, mainly, they do not cut well after.

I think I recall hearing something about the Resaw King blades being sharpened properly by Laguna. Mine broke before I could have them resharpened.

My last CT has seen a lot of use, and is still cutting okay.