What is the best tenor uke for under $150?

dskids

Reaction score
I recognize that there is no objective "best" per se, but I'd like to know about the best options in this price range. The most important criterion to me is tone. Am I likely to find anything with a solid top in this bracket?

Go to Hawaii Music Supply website, HMS, they have a video "10 best tenors under $200.00". Have a listen and see what you like. I have a Gretsch G9120, tenor mahohany laminate that sounds great. I have a number of expensive high end ukes but this Gretsch gets played a lot and it is one I will not sell. It is a never fail tank.

DownUpDave, thanks for the tip on the HMS video... will definitely check that out shortly.

vanflynn, what a coincedence! I am going to visit my brother in Blacksburg this weekend and will be passing through Roanoke. I will definitely look into Mim's store.

:agree: Mimsy will take great care of you. No brainer

Seriously a no brainer. Listen to the HMS recording but if you can make it to Mims, DO IT. Arguably in the top 3 for strictly ukes on the planet. Most people buying a uke would love to be in your position. Visit her you tube channel, she is a member here as well. Just buy whatever she recommends and you will be one happy uker.

I hate to keep harping about my Ohana tenor for sale, but I'm not starting the threads. :p it's not solid but does have a pickup, good tone and feel, is right on budget - and came setup from Mim!

Last edited:
I got a Gretsch tenor, all laminate, and it has a nice tone with my preferred Worth brown low g strings. Not pretty like some ukes, but a good sound. I went full laminate to address potential cracking problems and I did not want my all solid instruments sitting out in the room in the winter. (I have a room humidifier, but cannot do a whole house humidifier.)

I've been happy with two Lanikai solid spruce topped (lam back and sides) tenors. My first was just an ST, and now I have an STEQ. I bought both of them used for under $125. Kala also makes similar ones, and probably Ohana. I think solid spruce topped instruments are one of the best bang-for-the buck deals going, no matter which maker you choose. They are louder and less muddy than the all laminate ukes I have played and spruce is a very inexpensive wood relatively speaking.

Personally, I like Eddy Finn tenors. I own a discontinued bamboo acoustic tenor. One of the guys in my ukulele group plays a Mossy Oak Eddy Finn. Those cost around $120 and sound really great too. If you're just not a Duck Dynasty fan, Eddy Finn has few spruce and basswood models in your price range too.

At that pricepoint I'd opt for a Tanglewood TU4, or a Tanglewood "Union Series" tenor. Both a touch under $200. Awesome playability and warm, round tone.

I really enjoy my Kala KA-TEM exotic mahogany tenor. It's all laminate, but it has a really nice tone and gets more playing time than my solid tenor. Uke Republic has it on sale right now for $139.99, set up.

Go to Hawaii Music Supply website, HMS, they have a video "10 best tenors under $200.00". Have a listen and see what you like. I have a Gretsch G9120, tenor mahohany laminate that sounds great. I have a number of expensive high end ukes but this Gretsch gets played a lot and it is one I will not sell. It is a never fail tank.

I second the vote for Gretsch. I have many ukes but only three really get play time. Two are Pono's and the other is my Hog Gretsch. For the money I don't see anything better.

Look for a used Mainland tenor, which should sell for around $150. Solid mahog..... and probably best value for the $. If you can bump your budget up a bit, you can probably find a new one for around $225+/-.

Top Bottom