Strumming technique: index finger or thumb?

julesagogo

Reaction score
Hello all,
Total noob here. I got a ukelele a couple weeks ago, my first stringed instrument. Based on lots of reading, I started strumming using my index finger, hitting the strings with my nail on the downstroke and with the pad of the finger on the up. And I thought it sounded pretty sweet. I learned a bunch of chords, loved playing, thought it sounded good (as did those who were forced to listen to me), so I decided to take lessons to help me move beyond what I felt I could teach myself.

When I showed the instructor my strumming technique, he told me that I should be using my thumb on the downstroke and index finger on the up because 1) it will have a more authentic sound instead of sounding more like I'm using a pick 2) the thumb technique is used by the most accomplished uke players. I'm practicing diligently but am finding this strumming technique really hard to master, and it's affecting my enjoyment of playing my lovely uke. And more followup reading tells me that a lot of uke players use the all-index strum.

What do you think? I'm inclined to stick what has been working for me. But is the index strum "wrong"? That is, will it be harder for me to master more advanced strumming or fingerpicking techniques if I continue what I was doing, or is there some other reason I need to change?

Hello all,
Total noob here. I got a ukelele a couple weeks ago, my first stringed instrument. Based on lots of reading, I started strumming using my index finger, hitting the strings with my nail on the downstroke and with the pad of the finger on the up. And I thought it sounded pretty sweet. I learned a bunch of chords, loved playing, thought it sounded good (as did those who were forced to listen to me), so I decided to take lessons to help me move beyond what I felt I could teach myself.

When I showed the instructor my strumming technique, he told me that I should be using my thumb on the downstroke and index finger on the up because 1) it will have a more authentic sound instead of sounding more like I'm using a pick 2) the thumb technique is used by the most accomplished uke players. I'm practicing diligently but am finding this strumming technique really hard to master, and it's affecting my enjoyment of playing my lovely uke. And more followup reading tells me that a lot of uke players use the all-index strum.

What do you think? I'm inclined to stick what has been working for me. But is the index strum "wrong"? That is, will it be harder for me to master more advanced strumming or fingerpicking techniques if I continue what I was doing, or is there some other reason I need to change?
That is why I don't have an "Instructor."

Wow. I've never heard of that technique before - is it a particular style or type of strum the instructor is teaching you?

For what it's worth, I've been index-strumming for 5+ years and my teacher has never suggested I do otherwise. I play mainly fingerstyle, and rather than limiting the right hand to just the thumb, I've been taught to use all fingers and not stick to a rigid form at all. I have seen Hawaiian and Japanese players who are thumb-only players, but as far as I know, that's a personal choice and not a rule.

Hello all,

What sort of music you playing ?

Your Instructor sounds like somebody I would argue with ....a lot.....

Strumming with index finger is your basic strum...up and down and variations on that theme. Rhythmically ,melodically and tunefully. You can throw the
thumb occasionally in to give a break in the sound...but I have never in all my hundreds of years of playing come across this method......Thumb first ....?

Unless you are boom - chick -a -ing ....Which is a guitar style...sounds like your instructor is a guitarist turned ukester ...I may be wrong ....
I'm always told that I am on this forum lol:eek:

When comfortable with a basic strum start bringing in your thumb for triples ...index down thumb down thumb back up.

BUT what size uke ...because strumming a Tenor or Bari or Gitalelele will be different to strumming a Soprano /Concert.....

Do you want the harder driving percussive ,though also available in melodic flavours of Smeck ,Ike , Formby and ilk (my preferred style) ..

or the slightly more delicate and considered Shimabukuro, Fuchigami ,Ohta-san guitarist style?

Thanks all for the replies, which help me to put this in context. CeeJay, I think you hit it on the head - he is a rock guitar guy who also plays many other stringed instruments. But he did say he is going for the Hawaiian style when playing uke, so that may be why he is advocating for this style, janeray1940.

I'm going to stick with what I was doing and will find someone else to work with.

Hello all,
Total noob here. I got a ukelele a couple weeks ago....will it be harder for me to master.....

Of course it will be hard to master.... anything.

I find stumming with the middle finger gives me more volume and power.
On Ukulele I strum with a rotating wrist motion.
On banjolele I strum from the elbow.
Sometimes I change strums in the middle of a song- sometimes back and forth between strum styles in the same song.
Rhythm and steadiness is more important than which digits you use.

There is no right way to strum. There is a wrong way to strum however. Just don't let the way you learn to strum be bad. That is the wrong way.
My instructor is UU - Talk about all different ways of learning stuff here.

Your Instructor sounds like somebody I would argue with ....a lot.....

!!! ??? !!!
Really CeeJay

Maybe your instructor is referring to using the thumb and index finger which is a very common way to play. Uncle Kimo Hussey explains it here but it's not just your thumb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_CmQEnSHpQ

It would be very hard to do the triplets and picking notes if your thumb was always primary. Maybe he didn't explain it correctly to you but that's also not "Hawaiian Style" but rather one of many ways to play as Uncle Kimo plays Jazz and other styles the exact same way with only his thumb and index finger.

Not sure I would dump an instructor for that, but I would clarify and if he does mean only strum with your thumb, then he must think uke players only strum up and down and don't do anything else.....which we know is not the case at all. It seems it would be hard to strum any type of complex pattern with just a thumb compared to your index finger. My buddy plays with his thumb all the time and only his thumb and he is really good so people definitely play that way but I think it's the minority and not the majority which does not make it wrong, just not something you see most people using.

If you are looking for a uke instructor who is a pro uke player and not a guitar player, you might want to contact Matt Dahlberg. He does Skype lessons. He is a pro instructor and pro musician. He also has a degree in music and knows music theory and other great things to teach you along the way besides just playing notes, but really understanding scales, how to solo etc. He's a super nice guy.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I think you may get the drift ....we don't agree on methods....Kimo is a great strummer.... he leads with forefinger /index ,then thumb ......he seems to fire the index from theethumb and then roll the thumb ...it's a bit like an exaggarated triple....well actually it probably is a triple....

It seems we all agree to disagree ...and then go and play some Uke:music::music:

Last edited:
I say stick with what's working for you (which happens to be the most common way of strumming an ukulele) and if your teacher cannot adapt for you, replace him/her.

I was strumming one way and recently switched to my index finger, because of a hangnail. Now the original way I was strumming feels weird. So, for now I'm sticking with the index finger. It's all personal preference.

I generally strum with thumb on the downstroke and index on the upstroke.

I am a newbie too. I prefer the sound when strumming down with my thumb. But the up strum is very weak and seem to always get caught right on the bit where the outside of the nail meets the finger.
I guess that's just down to technique?

I have been thumb strumming lately to recover from some bicep tendonitis so it is always good to fall back upon. The disadvantage to this is that it is too difficult to get a good sounding up strum with the thumb IME. I think the different sounds between the thumb and index only broaden your music vocabulary so learn both(you use both for triplets later anyways). I would say experiment with it but continue to develop the index finger dexterity.

hey so I'm totally self-taught from Youtube - no instructors around here - so I just kind of make it up as I go. I like strumming with my index nail pretty much primarily. I can see how maybe he would be talking about hitting the C string first with your thumb, then strumming up with your index? Like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfz-hYsbo_c this video tutorial for Over the Rainbow - skip to about 4:36 to see him playing with this technique rather than explaining.

I think your instructor should relax a little bit about this whole correctness/properness thing - I know personally ukulele is just for fun for me - I don't know what your goals are but I especially think as a beginner it's more about having fun than worrying if you're doing the right thing all the time. My honest opinion? You're totally fine, relax.

I started out with the index finger, because that is what every beginner's book or web site said to do. That is the way I still strum the majority of the time. But I have experimented with many many ways to strum, some of them I just make up. But that said, most everyone I've ever seen playing the ukulele plays it with the index finger, and that includes any Hawaiian ukulele players I've seen, so that is the best place to start. Then if you want to strum with your thumb and your pinky finger because King Kalamalama of Oahu does it that way, fine, go for it.

Last edited:
I am totally new to the ukulele. I have found that im am most comfortable strumming with just my thumb. It is definitely softer sounding compared to my index finger but it just feels comfortable and right for me. Maybe as I get more confident in my playing I will move to a different technique.

I am totally new to the ukulele. I have found that im am most comfortable strumming with just my thumb. It is definitely softer sounding compared to my index finger but it just feels comfortable and right for me. Maybe as I get more confident in my playing I will move to a different technique.

Learning both techniques won't hurt you but if your instructor is leading into something with a methodological approach you will be behind and have wasted money.

There isn't a right or wrong way you can always find someone who plays something better with the other approach, there are techniques that are easier with the finger and others with the thumb.

I have had advice such as "never use a pick" I have also had people I paid to take lessons from suggest I start using one.

However, I think that you should do it like they are teaching otherwise there is no point in taking the lessons. (btw I am on my way to go practice and probably not use a metronome like my teacher suggested... ) when you sound good, (s)he probably won't care.

Patience Grasshopper!

Whatever strumming technique you start out with should just be a base to build on.

I have been thumb strumming lately to recover from some bicep tendonitis so it is always good to fall back upon. The disadvantage to this is that it is too difficult to get a good sounding up strum with the thumb IME. I think the different sounds between the thumb and index only broaden your music vocabulary so learn both(you use both for triplets later anyways). I would say experiment with it but continue to develop the index finger dexterity.
Ohmless I think you need to try a plastic thumbpick. The strum would be from the elbow rather than the wrist. Should give a better up strum. If you try this give me some physiological feedback.

For what it's worth, I use a combination of the nails on my two middle fingers on the downstroke, and the thumb on the upstroke. I've always done that. If anyone told me it was wrong, I would smile and say have a nice day.

Top Bottom