PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a Uke with New Strings - Newb Question

Deadbait
01-06-2015, 07:30 PM
I just put on some new strings and am in the process of tuning them all in with my electronic tuner.

So while looking at my Snark sn-2, and turning the tuning keys all of these notes keep coming up until I reach the "G" on the "G" string and so forth.

So my question is: Is there a note progression that the strings go through as they reach their destination of G, C, E and A?

I would like to know, so I can figure out if I am getting close or not, or if I have gone past the correct note. I ended up getting it, but would like to know to be more educated than just guessing.

Thanks all.

YorkSteve
01-06-2015, 09:35 PM
It's just the alphabet looping round, with some sharps or flats thrown in...so (assuming the strings are all a few tones flat) the G will go though D,D# (or Eb depending on how the tuner has been set up), E, F, F# (or Gb), and then G. The C will go through F#, G, G# (or Ab) A, A# (or Bb), B, C. E will go through B, C, C# (or Db), D, D# (Eb) E. And A will go through F, F# (or Gb), G, G# (Ab) A.

And then do it all again tomorrow. But eventually they WILL settle down.:)

Deadbait
01-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Thank you YorkSteve. That was easy enough.

deschutestrout
01-07-2015, 01:19 PM
and, until you get very used to the pitch of a properly tuned uke, i.e. the octave of the G, C, E and A ... wouldn't hurt to google "tuning a uke" and listen ... as your tuner will pass an octave or two (of G for example) before you reach the right pitch. did i explain this in a way that makes sense? have fun!

Deadbait
01-07-2015, 04:58 PM
and, until you get very used to the pitch of a properly tuned uke, i.e. the octave of the G, C, E and A ... wouldn't hurt to google "tuning a uke" and listen ... as your tuner will pass an octave or two (of G for example) before you reach the right pitch. did i explain this in a way that makes sense? have fun!

I'll google it and see, thanks - d-trout.