RIP David S. Gill

Gary Gill

Reaction score
My uncle, David S. Gill passed away early this morning. He was 73 years old. He had been in poor health for a few years. He built approximately two hundred ukuleles. In his life he did much for many people and made a positive impact on those who knew him.

I personally have to thank him for teaching me woodworking skills at an early age and ukulele building skills over the last four years. He was my uncle, my friend and my mentor.

Thanks Unk for all you were to me.

If you happen to have a DS Gill ukulele, please play a song today in his memory.

Sorry for your loss, Gary. It sounds like you had a great relationship, and it's super cool that he was able to pass on so much of his experience and knowledge in woodworking and lutherie.

-Steve

Oh, that's really sad. I'm so sorry for your loss, Gary.

Very sorry to hear about your loss, Gary. Hopefully those who own DG Gill uke's will give them extra attention now.

Sorry for your loss Gary.
Playing my DS Gill uke now.
DSGpickguard.jpg

David was one of a kind. I won't forget him. For folks that didn't know him, David was a real individual, he used to get around Columbus with an electric car (before their were electric cars) because he was opposed to buying gasoline.

Here's Tim's article on him.
http://ukeeku.com/2010/07/19/david-s-gill-ukuleles/

Sorry for your loss, Gary. You have awesome memories to cherish. I'll remember your family in my prayers.

Sorry for your loss, Gary. I'm glad that you have fond memories of your dad to cherish. And that was a very cool article about him (link posted by Mainland Mike). I love his "accounting system."

Wow, so sad. I really enjoyed spending time with Dave. He really went out of his way to share his knowledge, time and resources on instrument building. I am so grateful that I was able to call him a friend. I'll miss popping in and chatting instruments. Truly is a great loss. My thoughts are with you Gary. If there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to call.

Andrew

Gary, so sorry to hear of your Uncle David's passing. While I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I did have the privilege to play one of his ukuleles.
He built a great sounding ukulele by any standard. Glad he was able to pass his passion for building ukuleles on to you.

Hodge

My condolences Gary. May some of your uncle David's ukulele mojo live on through your uke builds!

My sincere condolences for your and your families loss, may we all play a song and dedicate it to our fallen luthier
Today

My sympathies too. I don't have one of his ukes. I'll play a song for him today.

Sad to see people pass and I feel for you Gary. It is wonderful that you uncle gave you a skill that you use daily. His memory lives on in each uke you build.

He almost make a soprano for me in 2012. He talk about Woods, and he explain all that I need to know about top Woods, sides, backs, paciently. Really great person. Sad to know he pass... Condolences from Brazil.

Sorry for your loss, Gary. It sounds like you had a great relationship, and it's super cool that he was able to pass on so much of his experience and knowledge in woodworking and lutherie.

-Steve

Well loss is inevitable so I'll not lament that. Hopefully he was ready. So instead I'm grateful for your gains in having such a man in your life. You were very fortunate.

Top Bottom