intonation problem

DSmusic

Reaction score
I've noticed my E string isnt always perfect
When I play a G chord, it seems like my G note on the E string is a little bit higher than the open G.
So I checked it with a tuner. And it is a little bit sharp.
I don't always notice it when playing. Mostly when I finger pick..
And it almost seems like it gets better when I go up the neck. Which doesn't make sense.
Has anyone ever had an issue like that?
And if so, is it normal for ukuleles, or should in get it fixed?

It's not normal, but on cheaper ukes it can be common. Usually it affects more than one string, though, and is most often caused by a high action at the nut (you stretch the string out of tune as you press it down) or a badly positioned bridge. If it's only one one string, it is possible you have a bad string. Try removing it, and putting it back on the other way around, it sometimes fixes issues caused by unevenly stretched or strings with an uneven diameter along their length.

Last edited:
I was just going to suggest the same as Phil. I had the very same issue recently, and when I gave in and put a different string on, it was fine. Only afterwards I wondered if just turning the string round might have worked. But definitely try a different set of strings if you have any.

DSmusic said:

Yes. The fretboard is most likely made using accurate CNC automate, so I think the fretboard itself is ok.
Typical problem is the action (string height) on 1st fret just too high and pressing on just cause extra tension and this cause a higher pitch. The saddle might be too high as well which also cause same problem. Action I prefer on 1st fret is 0.40mm and 2.5mm on 12th fret.

DSmusic said:

It's normal but not acceptable. I recommend you to find someone to fix it.

EDIT: If you manage to find a luthier, you can also ask if he can make a new compensated saddle. It helps a lot, especially if you enjoy playing on upper register.

Last edited:
i did the nut filing myself with an old fine-toothed hacksaw blade and some care. Wasn't tough(took me only about 15 minutes) and someone would have made easy money off me if I didn't do it myself. I barely shaved off a little at a time at the groove with the E string in it. I didn't fully drop the action but just enough to make it sound right most of the time(can still sound sharp if fretted too strongly.) The tuning is at the worst only off one tick on the tuner when pressing at the first fret now.

Prior to this, I also found the high action painful with Aquila strings so I swapped to Martins and that greatly improved the feel.

torch tip cleaners are very effective for some occasional nut tweaking. And they're cheap. Just make sure you go small as you dont' want to unnecessarily widen your slot or you'll get string buzz.

i got these on sale at one point:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_425647-47120-SGY-WELD12_0__

I filed down the nut and that seems to have fixed it.
So hopefully that was the problem.
Thanks

I've noticed my E string isnt always perfect
When I play a G chord, it seems like my G note on the E string is a little bit higher than the open G.
So I checked it with a tuner. And it is a little bit sharp.
I don't always notice it when playing. Mostly when I finger pick..
And it almost seems like it gets better when I go up the neck. Which doesn't make sense.

This is a common problem with all ukuleles. It's not just about who built it or how much you pay for it, it's about the strings. By their very nature a Nylgut string has inconsistent mass from one string to another. So you can easily drop $5k on a super custom Hawaiian made uke - but if you change the strings and they are wildly different than what you had on them before...you're going to start to see intonation issues. This is why we put adjustable saddles on our TunaUkes - a compensated nut and correct (for the scale) fret placement was half the battle - but a movable saddle piece is the only way you can easily adjust intonation with the change of the strings - or even the change of the neck angle after two many days leaving your uke on the beach while you take a dip :)

Top Bottom