Performax 16/32 Problems

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I've had an issue with my 16/32 drum sander that's getting worse. It feels like the drum is out of balance as there is a lot of vibration when not under load. When I feed material through it is sands fine and the vibration stops but otherwise it's gotten pretty bad. I keep all the dust cleaned out of the drum chambers but that's what it feels like. I've tightened all the bolts that should be tightened and the bearings "seem" OK, hard to tell. Any guesses as to what's going on? I may have just worn the thing out. It's 10 years old and used almost daily.

Last edited:
Since is seems to only happen when not under load, sounds like it could be a bearing problem? Tim should chime in.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Ken to comment. Wouldn't a bearing make some sort of noise when it's going? Nothing feels loose but I imagine the bearing tolerances are pretty tight and it doesn't take much wear to cause a problem like this.

Arghhhh....I meant Ken. I always do that.
Is it just a noise or can you see the drum wobble?

I think Ken is used to that by now. ;)

There is a high speed rattling noise because the drum is vibrating so badly. But there's no squeal or whine. I found a couple of replacement bearings for $60 a pair. Maybe I'll see if I can shoot a video of it running. It shouldn't take me but a day or two to figure out how to do that!

Check the drive coupling between the motor and the drum...... Or at worst it could be that the spindle down the centre of the drum has come loose...new rubber sealed bearings ain't expensive and you might as well replace them while you've got the unit stripped down. :)

Last edited:
I've had to do a couple of spider replacements on the past so the coupling between the motor and the drum shaft is good. The bearings should be day to replace so I'll give that a shot.
Thanks all for your help.

BTW, this place have replacement parts for almost anything. Just type in your model number and choose your part from the diagrams.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com

Last edited:
Do they have new uke tops for Pete?

Another thought is that the extruded alloy drum is hollow ...saw dust can build up inside and throw it out of balance.
My 10 -20 collects quite a lot of stuff inside there.

Another thought is that the extruded alloy drum is hollow ...saw dust can build up inside and throw it out of balance.
My 10 -20 collects quite a lot of stuff inside there.

Yes, I blow those chambers out frequently with an air compressor. But that's just what the vibration feels like. I've thoroughly cleaned everything of dust and have checked for loose or missing parts to cause it to go out of balance. The problem is something that has gotten progressively worse so the bearings are suspect. They've been ordered and I'll let you know the outcome.
Thanks for your help.

I have seen references to "spider"s with regards to the Performax sanders. As I have one of these, can someone give me a description/pointers as to exactly what a "spider" is?

I have seen references to "spider"s with regards to the Performax sanders. As I have one of these, can someone give me a description/pointers as to exactly what a "spider" is?

It's a rubber piece that fits between the motor and the drum spindle. It seems to act as a "torque absorber" (if there is such a thing) upon start up. Ken knows more what it does than I do. Once I learned to install the spider correctly and keep it tight between the motor and the drum I've had no problems with it wearing out. If it's not tight, or if it works it's way loose, it'll wear out quickly.

It's a rubber piece that fits between the motor and the drum spindle. It seems to act as a "torque absorber" (if there is such a thing) upon start up. Ken knows more what it does than I do. Once I learned to install the spider correctly and keep it tight between the motor and the drum I've had no problems with it wearing out. If it's not tight, or if it works it's way loose, it'll wear out quickly.
It's a universal joint/coupling..to counteract any linear problems.... similar to this one:)

Please let us know what happens, Chuck. I also have a 16-32, and while it does not yet have any issues, I like to know what to look for.

Top Bottom