Humidified Uke cabinet?

Bjblue2

Reaction score
Not much of a knick knack person but I know a great cabinet when I see one. Have been toying with how best to keep my ukuleles humidified during a Manitoba winter. While at the same time not having them hidden away in a case where I couldn't ogle them at every passing. Bought a dandy curio cabinet at Costco. Installed some hooks in the ceiling of it. Made some rope hangers for the top layer. The two on the bottom are on stands but may need to try and figure out some better system as they want to hit the glass on the back wall. Not sure yet if that will be an issue. At this point I am just using glass vases with water in them and have a humidity / temperature reader in there. Am certainly open to better suggestions if anyone has any. Sorry for the picture quality but here it is. image.jpg

Nice looking cabinet. The ukes look very nice in there.

I don't know much about humidifying ukes, but try and google cigar humidifier. We used to sell cigars at my job and they make special humidifiers for tiny cigar boxes up to big display cases like yours. It's worth a shot if you don't hear anything else.

That's beautiful and I like the mirrors. I've done much the same thing as I have some of my ukes in an old glass front gun cabinet. My collection has grown though so I just bought a large wardrobe (thin clear plastic but fully enclosed). I'm going to put it against the wall and put uke hangers right through it into the wall :) Not exactly pretty but I can't afford better. I use sponges on a tray for humidity, much more surface area for evaporation.

Very nice cabinet. I was inspired by wickedwahine last year to make a bookshelf into a humidity controlled uke display case. It holds 8 ukes hanging from long cup hooks and Martin strap extenders on the lower tuners, easy off and on. I had plexiglass doors cut to exact size at Lowes, sealed all the inside seams with self-stick door weather stripping and put two water trays at the bottom with covers to control the moisture, keeping track with digital and analog hygrometers inside, and one analog outside. It stays between 45 to 60% humidity.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Thanks. After one night the top level is registering 60% with the current setup. Moved the reader to the lower level to see if it's the same when I get home from work today. If it gets to high I may have to look into something more 'official' like a cigar humidifier.

That was my first thought. It's hard to by a gun case here with glass doors these days and I wasn't having any luck finding a used one. And with the deal I got at Costco this was way cheaper.

I actually had searched on here and saw your cabinet and the wall cabinet that wickedwahine posted. Thought about making one from scratch, then turned to an old glass doored bookcase that I had on hand, but when I found this it just seemed perfect. (And I had some fun money saved up) was either this or another ukulele. Tough choice. I'm quite happy with it at this point. And......best of all, there is a spare hook on the top level for that next acquisition.

Thanks. After one night the top level is registering 60% with the current setup. Moved the reader to the lower level to see if it's the same when I get home from work today. If it gets to high I may have to look into something more 'official' like a cigar humidifier.

You can probably regulate the humidity just by sliding some kind of cover part-way over the rims of the vases. For the minimal investment, it's worth a shot. Another option would be to leave the door open a crack.

I imagine a glass-fronted stereo or CD cabinet (on casters!) could be altered to work, also. But maybe not with a dog around: when we play ball, my dog keeps bumping into the doors and releasing them from their magnetic latches.

Top Bottom