First Uke gig!!

bobinde

Reaction score
Last Sunday, I had my first gig as a Ukulele player, at my stepdaughter's church - Unitarian Universalist Church of Cherry Hill ( New Jersey). Their service theme was "Dreams and Aspirations," and I accompanied a sextet on "Over the Rainbow" (IZ's arrangement, more or less) for the Postlude.

It was an absolute hoot!

Now they want me to do "Aloha Oe" for the women's quartet, and possibly more down the road.

bobinde

congrats man - thats great!

I aspire to do something like that too :)

were you nervous at all?

did you already know the arrangement, or did you have to learn it first and then practice a million times to get confident?

how was it to perform with the band? did you get to do any rehearsals before the show?

did you make a video for yourself? (even a cel phone vid is good enough for posterity :))

Congrats! .

Congrats. I am also a UU, so we are both UUs on UU. :agree:

I am in a few bands and I am lucky enough to play some uke songs at every gig, anywhere from 2 - 8 depending on the band and the length of the gig. Someday I will remember to get someone to record me and my wife playing some uke songs.

Last edited:
Congrats on what sounds like a fun experience. Must've gone fairly well given the ask for more!

Way to go, congrats. A big event, perhaps a milestone even! :music:

UU o! a Tao UU - Myriad are the ways my friends. The Tao of Ukulele

Welcome to the world of performance art! I think you'll benefit by playing with a group. Solo means you learn from your own mistakes not benefit from the mistakes of others.

Did you get butterflies in your Belly? It's only adrenaline. Use that energy to improve your performance not worry.

Become comfortable with the notion you'll make a fool of yourself on stage. Crash and burn is an occupational hazard. Smile when you make a mistake. The audience thinks you like what you did.

Hoo Hoo! You gonna have fun!

Actually, I don't have a video at this time, however, one of the women who sang had her partner video it & I hope to get it soon!

Practice? Well, I learned the basic runs from my IZ CD, so there was no problem there. We did about 3 runs through Sunday, then The Performance! Everything went OK, no problems.

FWIW, I've been performing off and on since @ 1964, with guitar in a few bands here and there.

Butterflies hardly ever happen anymore. However, I did a solo guitar & vocal gig back in August & was scared s**tless! Go figure . . .

Anyways, Aloha and Mahalo, folks!

Video coming when/if I get it.

bobinde

Top Bottom