NUD-My first soprano

CJay

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got my first soprano a couple of days ago. It's a Rubin RS-101. It's a great looking little uke and a blast to play.

The good: Great intonation. I checked each string at every fret with my electronic tuner and it was spot on. The sound is clear and bright with a good bit of chirp when strummed. The sustain is good. No adjustment was needed at the nut. Bar chords are easier to play on this than any of my other ukes (keep in mind this is my first soprano). The build quality is outstanding. The fit and finish are just great and while it is solid it doesn't seem overbuilt.

The not so good: not a lot of volume. I'm not saying it's quiet. It just doesn't have quite as much bark as I have heard in some sopranos (this could be just me as I have a tendency to play quietly anyway). The action at the saddle was way too high for me. I sanded it down quite bit and now it is a joy to play.

It comes with and under saddle pickup and treble, bass, and volume controls. I haven't had a chance to test these yet.

I've got to say I'm very impressed with this uke. At $50 including shipping it seems to be a screaming good deal. Even if the electronics are not up to par I would say it is well worth the money.

Please excuse the picture quality as I took them quickly with my ipad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 33
Looks like a great ukulele and a very good deal. There has been some good feedback here about these ukes. Glad you are enjoying yours.

Congratulations Clay, happy strummings you can try higher grade strings such as Aquila for more volume

Congratulations!

It shipped directly from China. It took about two weeks to arrive in North Carolina.

Wow, what a deal! You almost stole it. Stan's right, I think a set of Aquilas would be just right. Congrats!

Here is another thread where some others describe their experiences with Rubin ukes. They seem fairly positive and made me feel comfortable taking a chance on one. Judging by mine I would not hesitate buying another.

It makes me wonder if there are some other lesser known brands out of China that will deliver similar value for the price.

Top Bottom