Rick Turner has done all he can to make things right

Status
Not open for further replies.

jklaus

Reaction score
As I had previously posted an issue I had with Turner Guitars and there was another thread about it, I think it's only right that I update all that Rick has done to try to rectify things.

I came back from my vacation to find an express mailed envelope from Rick Turner. Inside was a check for the full amount of my deposit, as well as a very apologetic letter, explaining how he's been working hard to resurrect his company and he's sorry that I got caught up in the trouble of his having to struggle through a bad business partner and also his main acoustic builder breaking both arms. He told me to continue to hold onto and use his guitar until he can get mine built, promising to send photos as it goes along.

While obviously it's a shame things had to go to the extremes of me posting about my situation to get a response, I really feel this is him doing everything he can to try to make things right at this point - he's completely refunded me my money and given me his guitar to use until the other is ready. I also understand how he felt that the best way to respond to me was through actions instead of words, by sending the letter and check as opposed to just calling to apologize.

Not to do away with the past frustration and silence, I thought it's important to let you all know how far he's gone now to try to fix things...

Thanks for the update, jklaus. I'm glad your guitar is on its way to completion. I hope that you enjoy it for a lifetime despite the frustrating interlude.

great now that you have had a private communication with Rick...please close this thread.....no more needs to be said.....:)

@jklaus, in my opinion you've shown nothing but class in this whole ordeal (as well as on the Gear Page which I've been watching) and posting here to close the loop on a positive note further exhibits that. Thank you and I hope you'll consider remaining active here.

Happy strumming!

Thank you for sharing the good news on your progress in resolving your issues with your guitar build with Rick
And being a stand up guy through your ordeal. Hope you hang out here from time to time :)

I am glad you are happy and also vindicated, after early postings making certain accusations against you.

@jklaus, in my opinion you've shown nothing but class in this whole ordeal (as well as on the Gear Page which I've been watching) and posting here to close the loop on a positive note further exhibits that. Thank you and I hope you'll consider remaining active here.

Happy strumming!

Great news! I agree with Ukulele Eddie.
I know that you got some "heat" by some over your post here, but I bet if they were in the same situation that you were in they would more than understand your actions.
One can only wonder how long (if ever) this issue would have been resolved without taking the action you took since the other measures you stated you took got no action. I have my guess, but I don't think it will ever really freeze down there....:2cents:
I hope he builds you the guitar of your dreams to make up for this nightmare.
Best wishes....and don't be a stranger here.

Wubba wubba...

Not to do away with the past frustration and silence, I thought it's important to let you all know how far he's gone now to try to fix things...

I agree you have handled a most stressful situation with pure class, even when taking to the forums to complain. It's sad to see that you registered here to basically post about that. I hope you pick up a uke and stay a while, you fit in well with our community.

Yep. Even if it is years late and took a public revelation to achieve it.

Well done jklaus..

Ah, the old bad business partner/ employee with two broken arms excuse for giving you months and months of sleepless nights, OP. That makes it all better.

Nope, I agree with Jon. What just happened should have occurred--no loaner guitar, just a pleasant returned check-- within the first month.

When I have a one-on-one communication and deal with someone, I never, ever blame my behavior on someone else. Never. Ever.

Thanks for giving us the final outcome, OP. I'll continue to avoid Turner Co., since even Rick himself says its dysfunctional, as I would wet paint on a park bench.

Last edited:
I see both sides.

1. Twenty or thirty, (fifty or a hundred?) angry customers drumming on your electronic door, and no way to get the instruments built, rent's gotta be paid, bank.. well, you know what the bank says, partner? in reality there's no such thing.

2. The builder has my money and a contract and all I get is a brick wall.

I empathize with the builder and the customer. Kudos to the OP for giving us the update and to Rick for coming up with some kind of temporary resolution for the customer. We have here two people, obviously acting in good faith. Too bad we don't get to see more of this.

Good luck to both.

I see both sides.

1. Twenty or thirty, (fifty or a hundred?) angry customers drumming on your electronic door, and no way to get the instruments built, rent's gotta be paid, bank.. well, you know what the bank says, partner? in reality there's no such thing.

2. The builder has my money and a contract and all I get is a brick wall.

I empathize with the builder and the customer. Kudos to the OP for giving us the update and to Rick for coming up with some kind of temporary resolution for the customer. We have here two people, obviously acting in good faith. Too bad we don't get to see more of this.

Good luck to both.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1511862

This man who posted his concern was slammed by some, basically called a liar who made up the story by other. One even proposed the receipt posted was bogus. But if it is true someone took an order three years ago and a couple thousand dollars as a deposit to build a custom guitar and then according to the accuser "dropped of the earth" refusing to return calls etc.
Through all these accusations we have not heard one word from a rather verbal Rick Turner on UU to collaborate the accusation or call the guy a bold faced liar who trying to ruin Ricks stellar reputation.
The accuser at least had the courtesy to state that after THREE YEARS, that his deposit was returned and Mr.Turner provided him with a loaner until the guitar he contracted for THREE Years ago is being built. Is this just another lie by this man who then made up excuses that the reason the guitar was not made was because a worker broke both arm and some bad business dealing etc. This kid is either a real whack job or telling the truth.
What say you Mr. Turner?
Is the kid just slandering you with no cause or is he telling the truth?
Speak up and then we can then put this to bed once and for all.
If he is telling the truth how could you stand by and watch him be slammed?

Last edited:
Rick probably has his reasons for not taking part and may not care to divulge any info regarding this incident. If the OP is content with the actions provided as he stated, I don't think anything more need be said.

It's no lie about the luthier who broke both of his arms in a motorcycle accident. I met John before his accident and he is a real nice guy...very skilled. What a blow to his livelihood. His arm bones weren't set right at the first hospital who treated him and he had to go to Stanford where they re-broke his arms to set them correctly. Poor guy!

As for the business side of things, it is not uncommon for one partner to be the creative, hands-on builder and the other partner handles the business. In Rick's case, his partner obviously wasn't as competent as he/she needed to be and things, like customer orders, fell through the cracks.

Rick is managing to get his business in order and train more luthiers. My custom Compass Rose was in my hands 6 months after I ordered it. What stuns me is that he trains them, then they leave to start their own guitar luthiery shops...in the same area as Rick's workshop, which must put a delay in instrument production and appears a bit of a back-stab to me, but if that is the way things go in the luthiery business....

I'm glad the OP has reached a mutual agreement with Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom