Martin Style 2 vs Style 3 (new)

deejayen

Reaction score
I've tried a new Style 2, and I'm wondering what makes up the additional cost of the Style 3. Is it mainly the case and inlay work, or are there differences in their construction which would make a Style 3 play and sound noticeably better? I played the S2 mahogany, but I've been offered an S3 cherry, but won't be able to try before buying. I've read some older posts on here which suggest the S3 cherry is over-priced and doesn't sound particularly great. I thought the S2 was fine, but it didn't blow me away

UU'er Petey has done some very interesting video comparisons of various Martins. Search either here or on Youtube. His Cherry is his favorite (and this remains true as I recently checked with him).

I recently acquired a new Cherry 3 that I plan to play for a couple of weeks before flipping. I'm not sure what your timeline is, but I'd probably sell it in early February if I don't sell it at the Palm Strings 'uke festival.

DeeJay

I have an OXK laminate, as well as a 3k soprano. They both play very, very well, and the actions on both needed absolutely nothing out of the box. A $200 vs. almost $2,000 difference comes down to your preference.

The wood makes a different sound for sure vs. the laminate, but the quality is in both, although one is made in Mexico and the other in PA.

If a 2 plays well for you, I'd seriously consider not getting a 3. I agree with Eddie, Petey posted a couple of GREAT videos comparing many Martin soprano models. Which reminds me--Petey smelled the sound hole of one of the wood ones and he's right! The all-wood ones smell so wonderful, like a well aged cigar box with fancy tobacco inside.

Good luck, let us know what you do. I'll try to post a link of Petey's vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCVRmcvejDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-jNYgNgNU

If the links don't work just search 'Petey Martin soprano' on youtube, it's the first videos.

Thanks very much for all the info. I'm still trying to make my mind up! I'd prefer to try a few ukes, so I may hold on until I'm able to do so. Even then, there won't be be many decent options within traveling distance.

I have a new style 3 and the style 2. I would go for the style 2 as an all around excellent ukulele. I will compare the two in a video one of these days.

The style 3 has more fancy appointments and very low action. Those style 3 ukes are best for very refined uke playing. Such low action is very unforgiving and notes are very easy to bend in pitch so you'd better have clean fingering. The style 3 looks prettier and is louder than the style 2 but I prefer the style 2 for uke that can take any style of playing. It's hard to do clawhammer on a style 3 with the low action. You need to think about the type of music you play and how advanced you are. I also don't use my 3 cherry for everything but it is a more delicate sound. The style 3 mahogany is quite booming.

Also, it seems to me that the sound of the 3 cherry ukes can be vastly different. I refused the first one with a very dull sound and got a 2nd one with great sound.

Petey

Last edited:
I have a new style 3 and the style 2. I would go for the style 2 as an all around excellent ukulele. I will compare the two in a video one of these days.

The style 3 has more fancy appointments and very low action. Those style 3 ukes are best for very refined uke playing. Such low action is very unforgiving and notes are very easy to bend in pitch so you'd better have clean fingering. The style 3 looks prettier and is louder than the style 2 but I prefer the style 2 for uke that can take any style of playing. It's hard to do clawhammer on a style 3 with the low action. You need to think about the type of music you play and how advanced you are. I also don't use my 3 cherry for everything but it is a more delicate sound. The style 3 mahogany is quite booming.

Also, it seems to me that the sound of the 3 cherry ukes can be vastly different. I refused the first one with a very dull sound and got a 2nd one with great sound.

Petey

Hi Petey,

Isn't it easy enough to have the action on your Style 3 raised to your preference by a competent luthier? Still would love to see a demo of your Style 3M.

Thanks,
Don

Hi Petey,

Isn't it easy enough to have the action on your Style 3 raised to your preference by a competent luthier? Still would love to see a demo of your Style 3M.

Thanks,
Don

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... action height is not a model-specific feature, it can be adjusted at will.

Action issues aside, The Style 2 and Style 3 Martin Ukuleles were both introduced the same year. Style 3 has always been a high end ukulele compared to The S2. More finer appointments than on the S2. The list price differential is $300 to $450 between the two models. Is suspect most of this is additional labor. The S3 Cherry is specially bonded wood for "Sustainable wood campaign. There is doubtless a cost differential here as well.

If buying a new Martin don't be fooled by the high list price. Martin's MAP policy prohibits dealers from advertising anything but Martin's suggested list price. Do your homework and negotiate a lower price. 25% to 40% reduction in the MAP price can be had if you do!

Thanks very much for the additional info.

I phoned a couple of Martin dealers here in the UK, and apparently there's very little markup on the ukes. The best I was quoted was a discount of just under 7% on a 3C.

I'm finding it difficult to make a decision because there are no music shops selling decent ukes anywhere I can travel to. I'm hoping to be able to try the Style 2 again within a week or two, but there's nothing else to compare it with. I'd like to try a nice Hawaiian uke, and some of the Japanese ones, but there's no chance of that. I think I'm condemned to watch more Youtube videos!

Hi Petey,

Thanks,
Don

Hi Don,

Sure, one can get the action changed but those ukes are best used the way they come designed out of the factory. Low action is very nice and makes you play it as they designed it. Sloppy strumming on a style 3 uke is a waste of money even if the action would be higher. It's hard to explain it but when you feel a high-end uke like that in your hands, you want the great responsiveness that it gives and low action is part of that experience. Clawhammer technique is more fun to play on a tenor (IMHO).

I prefer my style 2 to my style 3, but my 3 cherry is my favourite. Still, my style 2 is my fav. as well.

I'll think about doing a quick style 2 and style 3 demo because that topic just keeps coming up. A lot of people have PMed about that as well over the past two years.

cheers,

Petey

Top Bottom