Just joined the Kanile'a Family

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
I posted thread about looking for a new uku that is good for SMALL HAND. I received many recommendations from all of you. Just thought I let you know what I ended up with:

I just came back from Honolulu and brought home a Kanile'a Honu Premium Concert with the turtles inlay. ($1,360 U.S.). No deal here !Aaron from Hawaii Music Supply said first week in January is a bad time to shop , they sold everything over the holiday and uku builders have not had time to re-stock.

Below is Youtube showing Aaron playing on my uku. Yes that's my uku. I filmed Aaron playing with it.

For now, the uku don't seem to have a lot of volume but the sound should open up overtime. (I hope).

I met Joe and Kristen Souza (owner and founder) when I visited the Kanile'a factory. They gave me a license frame that says 'I would rather be playing my Kanile'a Ukulele'. Super friendly couple. Kanile'a put a lot of attention to details.

http://youtu.be/GvCpftSuSag

Last edited:
Congrats on the uke, but as the saying goes here, it aint true without pictures!

Love to see some when you have the time.

AllI can say is that my Kanilea K-1 tenor has been great for five years and I've received compliments from better players with more expensive ukes. When I bought it, it was about $900. Now they go for $1200 or more.

Congrats on the uke, but as the saying goes here, it aint true without pictures!

Love to see some when you have the time.

I posted the video of Aaron playing my Uku. Just click on the link above. I would love to share photo with the Kanilea owner but I don't know how to do that here. Please help. Thanks

Last edited:
Kanilea cost about the same as Kamaka now.
I personally think Kanilea paid more attention to the appearance and understand the current market needs.
I tour both factories and was surprise Kamaka actually using more machines to build the instrument than Kanilea. 90 years old Fred Kamaka conducted the tour, he said there are only 100 Jake's signature uku. It sell for $5,500 each. Jake charge $2,000 each for putting his seal of approval on the sound quality.

Aloha. Brenda,
Congratulations on your new Kanilea soprano honu, it looks and sounds great,
I am glad you had time to stop at hawaii music supply And Kanilea. ..both great
Companies and owners. I am sure you had a great time at both places and your
Vacation here. Can you play a Vietnamese song for us on your new Kanilea, happy strummings
Wasn't Aaron, Kirsten and Joe Souza great people to meet and chat to. :)

Congrats on a wonderful instrument. I have a Kanile'a Concert Premium that has become my favorite uke. It sounds amazing with Oasis Bright strings on it.

It looks and sounds lovely! Congratulations!

Congratulations Brenda! That's a beauty. I love my Kanile'a tenor. Using Living Waters strings and its voice is sweet. Enjoy!

Congratulations, it looks beautiful and sounds great!

I am a fan of Kanile'a ukes, I have a super tenor, a spruce top koa tenor and a concert; I always liked and wanted the Honu inlay, but I have not made that purchase yet!

I posted the video of Aaron playing my Uku. Just click on the link above. I would love to share photo with the Kanilea owner but I don't know how to do that here. Please help. Thanks

Ooooh that's your actual uke in the vid?!? Cool! I hope some of Aaron's mojo came with it.

Enjoy!

That's a fine looking ukulele! It's entirely possible that if it's not particularly loud, different strings could help :) try a bunch out, see what fits you and the uke best.

Congrats on a wonderful instrument. I have a Kanile'a Concert Premium that has become my favorite uke. It sounds amazing with Oasis Bright strings on it.

Aaron from HMS gave me Oasis strings but I am afraid to change it. Joe did the set up for me (I drove 18 miles to HMS warehouse for the set up) and drilled a button.
I found the volume is not as loud as I thought especially after I played the Kamaka at the factory tour but who's know how long that Kamaka has been hang on the wall display. :) Joe from Kanile'a said give it time, it will improve.

Ooooh that's your actual uke in the vid?!? Cool! I hope some of Aaron's mojo came with it.

Enjoy!

Yes that's my actual uku that Aaron demonstrate. Aaron is not as big as he looks on Youtube. LOL I almost bought a different brand but he won't let me. He said buy only what you really want. Don't settle for less so I went overboard and picked one triple my budget.

mm stan the mystery man:
I wish my playing skill is at the same level as my new Uku. LOL
One day ....one day I will work up the courage to post a video.

I forgot to mention the reason I picked Kanile'a is because this is the only concert size that feels right . The other concert frets are a bit too short to my liking. My fingers had no room to spread. (although I have small hand). Aaron explained Kanile'a neck is different , the frets are indeed a bit more spacious.

Aaron from HMS gave me Oasis strings but I am afraid to change it. Joe did the set up for me (I drove 18 miles to HMS warehouse for the set up) and drilled a button.
I found the volume is not as loud as I thought especially after I played the Kamaka at the factory tour but who's know how long that Kamaka has been hang on the wall display. :) Joe from Kanile'a said give it time, it will improve.

Brenda...If those stings are new it will take a little time for them to stretch and settle in. They won't feel as hard on the fingers either once they've stretched a bit. Once they stretch a little, you should notice the volume coming in and the uke becoming easier to play. Congratulations!

Wm.

Congratulations that's a beautiful ukulele, lots of curly koa and gorgeous paua honu inlays.

I thought it sounded sufficient loud, but like folks said, let it open up after playing for a week or two and see how it loud it sounds.

If I ever get a K brand, it'll be a Kanile'a. Such lovely instruments...

Top Bottom