soprano tuners

gspears

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all. I ordered a soprano kit for my wife to build. its nothing fancy. More of an art project. The friction tuners it comes with are terrible. I'm looking for recommendations for replacement tuners. I would prefer them not be friction tuners if possible unless there is an actual good friction tuner out there. Don't want them to be too heavy either.

Thanks, Greg

I've used the Grover tuners from Stewmac on a few tenor ukuleles and found them to be very good value for money. Haven't tried them on sopranos so can't comment on how they'd work aesthetically.
Miguel

some option would be gotoh UPT or peghead tuners. other then that any open gear tuners like grovers V97 V98 will work.

I've put the Grover sta-tites on a soprano. They looked good and I don't think they are too heavy for a soprano. If you don't like friction tuners, I think Grovers are hard to beat unless you want something very cheap (Chinese made tuners off Ebay).

Take note that these Grover tuners can be bought with 2 different spindle lengths. For a soprano I expect the shorter one is for you (its all about the head thickness).

Last edited:
I have used the Grover's several times on my tenors. I have not built Sopranos before, so I wanted some feedback regarding the weight. I like the look of the Gotoh UPT as well. Thank you all for the info.

Top Bottom