Nud

soupking

Reaction score
I've never posted a new uke day thread; usually my only started-threads are for-sale ones :rolleyes: However, I felt compelled to post about this awesome Black Bear I got earlier this week. It's a soprano scale bell-spaped number, one-of-a-kind, with all sorts of interesting features, which you can see in the pics/video. The only thing I was apprehensive about going into the purchase was the shape, since I've never played or held this type of ukulele before- I thought maybe it'd be awkward to cradle. Yet, I actually find it easier to manage. The larger lower bout offers more real estate to grasp onto underneath the arm, I suppose in much the same way a pineapple shape would be, although I've only played a Kamaka Pineapple once for about three and a half seconds a few years ago. Also, I got a great price from Duane on it, too, who was great to deal with. Another thing I like, while I don't ever play up the neck, which you'll see if you're brave enough to play the video, is that it's joined at the fourteenth fret, so since I usually strum around the twelfth fret, there's enough space to where I'm not thrashing the soundboard like on a normal figure-eight shaped soprano; not that that really matters to me as I don't baby anything and/or mind about play wear, it's just something I noticed.

And the handmade light green colored knobs… I'm over-the-moon about! They're so cool! It's like a cherry on top of an amazing sundae. Anyway, very happy with this and wish I'd tried a Black Bear sooner… I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the marketplace for these. I played this thing Tuesday night, the day I got it, until about 4am because I could not put it down. I kind of freestyled this little ditty that evening, if that's what you want to call it. I redid it just now in daylight so that I look less zomby-esque ;) This thing is so great that I'd rather play it all day instead of clean the basement that my no-good children routinely destroy day in and day out :eek: -- Matt

Attachments

• IMG_5599.jpg
    IMG_5599.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5600.jpg
    IMG_5600.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5601.jpg
    IMG_5601.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5602.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 60
Excellent! I love that uke and am glad to see it finally has a home. The macadamia is gorgeous, and it's trimmed up so nicely. Agreed that Duane is great to deal with, and he's got a style that is his alone. The Black Bears that I have played sounded terrific, and I'm sure this one is no exception. Congrats!

-Steve

Lookin' good!

Very nifty green tuners and way cool fretboard!

Have fun with your new BB!

That is a very unique instrument--I'm so glad you bought it. Looks like a lot of fun and sounds great!

Thanks, guys. I have another Black Bear on order- cannot wait! I've been around a while and can recognize "good stuff" at this juncture. This one is crazy fun to play and I'm over the moon with it :D -- Matt

AWESOME!!!!! We have BB twins together Matt. :) So pleased you took a chance. Aren't they sweet sounding, and warm. Just a joy. Any hints as to the config for your custom order with Duane?

AWESOME!!!!! We have BB twins together Matt. :) So pleased you took a chance. Aren't they sweet sounding, and warm. Just a joy. Any hints as to the config for your custom order with Duane?

Jon! I love you! All I said was to spec it from top to bottom like your's and mine, figure 8 shape… "as far as the rest, do what you wish." :D

Oh man. Whatever he comes up with it's gonna be amazing. Just as a matter of interest mate, worth clicking on the link on his site to his other artwork! Wicked.

Aloha Matt,
Congrats on your new bell shaped BB....looks and sounds real cool... Happy Strummings...

Top Bottom