PDA

View Full Version : Nud

soupking
01-10-2015, 09:12 AM
I've never posted a new uke day thread; usually my only started-threads are for-sale ones :rolleyes: However, I felt compelled to post about this awesome Black Bear I got earlier this week. It's a soprano scale bell-spaped number, one-of-a-kind, with all sorts of interesting features, which you can see in the pics/video. The only thing I was apprehensive about going into the purchase was the shape, since I've never played or held this type of ukulele before- I thought maybe it'd be awkward to cradle. Yet, I actually find it easier to manage. The larger lower bout offers more real estate to grasp onto underneath the arm, I suppose in much the same way a pineapple shape would be, although I've only played a Kamaka Pineapple once for about three and a half seconds a few years ago. Also, I got a great price from Duane on it, too, who was great to deal with. Another thing I like, while I don't ever play up the neck, which you'll see if you're brave enough to play the video, is that it's joined at the fourteenth fret, so since I usually strum around the twelfth fret, there's enough space to where I'm not thrashing the soundboard like on a normal figure-eight shaped soprano; not that that really matters to me as I don't baby anything and/or mind about play wear, it's just something I noticed.

And the handmade light green colored knobs… I'm over-the-moon about! They're so cool! It's like a cherry on top of an amazing sundae. Anyway, very happy with this and wish I'd tried a Black Bear sooner… I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the marketplace for these. I played this thing Tuesday night, the day I got it, until about 4am because I could not put it down. I kind of freestyled this little ditty that evening, if that's what you want to call it. I redid it just now in daylight so that I look less zomby-esque ;) This thing is so great that I'd rather play it all day instead of clean the basement that my no-good children routinely destroy day in and day out :eek: -- Matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Ig8mjbrD8

Telperion
01-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Excellent! I love that uke and am glad to see it finally has a home. The macadamia is gorgeous, and it's trimmed up so nicely. Agreed that Duane is great to deal with, and he's got a style that is his alone. The Black Bears that I have played sounded terrific, and I'm sure this one is no exception. Congrats!

-Steve

fretie
01-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Lookin' good!

Very nifty green tuners and way cool fretboard!

Have fun with your new BB!

Camsuke
01-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Congratulations Matty! That is one sweet looking & sounding ukulele.

wayfarer75
01-10-2015, 01:18 PM
That is a very unique instrument--I'm so glad you bought it. Looks like a lot of fun and sounds great!

soupking
01-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks, guys. I have another Black Bear on order- cannot wait! I've been around a while and can recognize "good stuff" at this juncture. This one is crazy fun to play and I'm over the moon with it :D -- Matt

Hippie Dribble
01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
AWESOME!!!!! We have BB twins together Matt. :) So pleased you took a chance. Aren't they sweet sounding, and warm. Just a joy. Any hints as to the config for your custom order with Duane?

soupking
01-15-2015, 05:51 PM
AWESOME!!!!! We have BB twins together Matt. :) So pleased you took a chance. Aren't they sweet sounding, and warm. Just a joy. Any hints as to the config for your custom order with Duane?

Jon! I love you! All I said was to spec it from top to bottom like your's and mine, figure 8 shape… "as far as the rest, do what you wish." :D

Hippie Dribble
01-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Oh man. Whatever he comes up with it's gonna be amazing. Just as a matter of interest mate, worth clicking on the link on his site to his other artwork! Wicked.

Dan Uke
01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Glad you have figured out what you like and sopranos are you thing!!

janeray1940
01-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Whoa. Soprano with a 14 fret join? Must... not... give... in... to... temptation... !!! Really sweet little uke.

mm stan
01-16-2015, 03:47 AM
Aloha Matt,
Congrats on your new bell shaped BB....looks and sounds real cool... Happy Strummings...