PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Buy a New Uku?

Brenda Wong
01-10-2015, 11:41 AM
When I was at HMS. Aaron said there is a 'Uku Fever' . People don't usually stop at one or two ukulele. It is an addiction.
Just curious how often do you buy a new uku and how many do you already owned?
Do you play each and everyone or the old one becomes a display item?

Brian1
01-10-2015, 12:39 PM
I haven't bought one yet THIS month, but last month I bought 4. :(

I have played at least 4 different ones today.

ScooterD35
01-10-2015, 12:49 PM
It is rightly referred to as Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome (UAS) and is at near-pandemic levels within the Ukulele community.

I myself happen to be immune and am quite content with the five-ish Ukes I now own. (Of course, there are the two I bought as gifts for my wife... not to mention the Dolphin I got for my son... and I really have been thinking that I need one of those iUke piccolo Ukes to add to my musical palette.) But really... I don't have a problem. I can stop any time I want.

Scooter

VegasGeorge
01-10-2015, 12:52 PM
For a while there, I was buying new Ukuleles at an alarming rate. My wife was thinking we needed a bigger house (which we got, but not for that reason) just to house them. But now, my passion for buying has cooled down a lot. I have just about everything I want. There is one more previously ordered Ukulele to be delivered, probably next week. And, I want to replace one of my recent acquisitions with a different make of the same style Ukulele. But that's it. I'll do that replacement as soon as the one I want becomes available. Then, I think I'm done for a good long time. And that's a good thing, because I want to spend more time playing the Ukuleles I have, and less time drooling over the next one.

Rllink
01-10-2015, 12:54 PM
When I was at HMS. Aaron said there is a 'Uku Fever' . People don't usually stop at one or two ukulele. It is an addiction.
Just curious how often do you buy a new uku and how many do you already owned?
Do you play each and everyone or the old one becomes a display item?
Kind of a creative approach to the question.

janeray1940
01-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I own three, and I play all three pretty much daily. Since I began playing seriously five years ago, I think I've owned a total of 9. As I'm not a collector, my purchases have been solely to fill a particular need - sometimes that need passes, sometimes it stays. When it passes, I do not hesitate to re-home a uke to someone looking for that particular thing. It's definitely not an addiction for me - I hate shopping and spending money in general, so I try to consider my purchases thoroughly before actually committing.

Most of my purchases happened in my first year of playing, as I was really rapidly figuring out what my wants and needs were. I went from a starter Ohana to a vintage uke; realized I didn't like the fussiness of vintage ukes so went to a brand-new Koaloha; realized I needed more than 12 frets so I went to a 16-fret Kamaka soprano; realized I liked the sustain of concert ukes so when a good deal on a Kamaka concert came up I went for it. Of all of those, the Kamaka concert is the only one I still have (I've since added a Kamaka pineapple and a Kamaka Ohta-San to the lineup).

The Ohta-San was my last uke purchase, almost a year ago. I don't really have any plans to buy anything else. There are a few that I'd consider "nice to have" - I like the volume of the Blackbird Clara, and I think it would be fun to have a National Resonator - but I'll patiently wait until the right one finds its way to me rather than actively seeking one out.

Congi
01-10-2015, 01:30 PM
One or two per month.
I had a hope that my Kamaka Long Neck Tenor Deluxe killed my UAS but he didn't.
I think I still need one Kanilea Long Neck Tenor to totally kill my UAS.

kohanmike
01-10-2015, 01:56 PM
When I started playing 18 months ago (after almost 50 years of guitar), I bought 5 ukes within about 3 months, then I tapered off to about one a month, traded in a couple, sold and gifted a couple. Then I converted a bookshelf to humid control cabinet which will only hold 8, so that's been keeping me in check. I also started playing u-bass a few months ago and immediately accumulated 3, with a custom on the way. I setup a small cabinet for those, which only holds 4. So for the last 2 months I have not bought anything new and so far I'm not feeling a strong need to.

wayfarer75
01-10-2015, 01:59 PM
I've been playing since December 2010. I have three ukes: a Kala KA-S, a Kelii concert (bought February 2013), and a Kamaka pineapple (bought October 2014). I have not bought or sold any others. So, I'm not a collector of instruments, though I sometimes think I "should" have a tenor. Then I remember how short my fingers are. I play my Kelii and Kamaka very often, but not so much the Kala. The Kamaka has better tone and intonation. The Kelii is strung low G, so it has quite a different sound and is used to play different songs. So it depends if I want to play high G or low.

fretie
01-10-2015, 02:16 PM
I started playing ukulele a couple of years ago and my first uke was a $25 craigslist find. I have since bought and sold quite a few ukes as I journeyed along the jumping flea road while noticing my wants, needs and playing style preferences. I've had some good middle of the road ukes, a tenor, a concet and a soprano, some purchased new, another bought from a UU member used.
Now I feel I'm settling in with my ukes....prefer the hawaiian koa and hawaiian mango and the smaller sizes. So, that's where it's at for me, for now. Of course, nothing ever stays the same so.... a year from now, who knows!?

Rllink
01-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I got my first ukulele in early April. I sort of told myself that I would play it for a year before I get something else. First of all, I just want to see if I stick it out for a year. I've found that if I stay with something for a year, I'm going to stick with it for a long time after that. The second reason is that I want to be sure of what I want for the next one. I don't want to shotgun it and hope that I eventually end up with something I like. I think, at this point anyway, I'll make my year, and I know what I'm going to get when I do buy my next one. I wont say that I haven't been tempted a few times though. I also had a loaner for a month or so last summer. But I don't see another ukulele in my future until June, and I have a plan for that.

Gary52
01-10-2015, 02:23 PM
In the last 2 years I've bought five and sold two. Currently have four, three of which are regular players. The fourth is an inexpensive laminate uke that I use for travel.

Underling
01-10-2015, 03:08 PM
I got my first ukulele October 14th then I bought one in November and built one in December. I already lost one eBay action this month and am hoping to win another. I'm also just bought plans for my next build which I'm hoping to start next month...
I do play them all every day.

Brenda Wong
01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
When I started playing 18 months ago (after almost 50 years of guitar), I bought 5 ukes within about 3 months, then I tapered off to about one a month, traded in a couple, sold and gifted a couple. Then I converted a bookshelf to humid control cabinet which will only hold 8, so that's been keeping me in check. I also started playing u-bass a few months ago and immediately accumulated 3, with a custom on the way. I setup a small cabinet for those, which only holds 4. So for the last 2 months I have not bought anything new and so far I'm not feeling a strong need to.

WOW that's a lot of UKULELES!!! I think we should add up our 'bills' to see how 'rich' (or should I say how very poor) we are with this addiction...... :-)

Brenda Wong
01-10-2015, 03:16 PM
When you say 'build'. Do you mean you actually , physically built them??? Very impressive. Please share some pictures or video.

kvehe
01-10-2015, 03:24 PM
In the first ten days (three years ago), I bought eleven. I've slowed down considerably since then. :-)

fretie
01-10-2015, 03:26 PM
In the first ten days (three years ago), I bought eleven. I've slowed down considerably since then. :-)

OK, that's got to be some sort of record!

I'm impressed!

OregonJim
01-10-2015, 04:00 PM
When I was at HMS. Aaron said there is a 'Uku Fever' . People don't usually stop at one or two ukulele.

Guess I never caught it then. I have one, and my wife has one. We both enjoy playing, and like the sound, but a little goes a long way.

Violins, the same. One acoustic and one electric. Though it's probably one of my favorite instruments.

Harmonicas, melodicas, tin whistles... can never have enough of 'em.

Banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, hybrids... one or two of each.

Keyboard instruments... one piano, 5 or 6 synths.

Guitars... I'm counting 9 on the wall, another half dozen scattered around somewhere. A few loaned out as well.

CeeJay
01-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Guess I never caught it then. I have one, and my wife has one. We both enjoy playing, and like the sound, but a little goes a long way.

I suspect you may though....I did not expect to get swept up into UAS ...had one Banjolele which I had a nodding acquaintance with for forty odd years...Then on a whim bought a cheap....

and I mean, Cheap, 10.00 uke 3 years ago...bugger me ...got 5 of the pesky varmints and another banjouke as well now....sheesh...

Lalz
01-10-2015, 04:26 PM
1st year: 1.
2nd year: 3 more, but gave the first one away.
3rd year, aka UAS year: 5 more. Gulp! So up to 8. Eee!!
4th year: 1 more. So reaching 9. Starting to sweat a little bit.
5th year: none. Still at 9. Phew!
6th year (this year): 1 more, so just reached the double figures but I'll stop here.

As long as you make sure not to be able to afford more ukes, you'll be ok ;)

sukie
01-10-2015, 04:40 PM
I have a few but I only play one. I am considering getting an ukulele from Mim that I could play out by the pool. I get nervous taking my ukulele out there. And it doesn't really like the sun -- it goes out of tune really quickly. I'm monogamous.

CeeJay
01-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I have a few but I only play one. I am considering getting an ukulele from Mim that I could play out by the pool. I get nervous taking my ukulele out there. And it doesn't really like the sun -- it goes out of tune really quickly. I'm monogamous.

What ..you're made out of monogamy !!? Wow....don't stand too close to the fire !!

Oh...and please ...explain "sun".....

perep
01-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Have over 40 now, play most, take turns, some in display case, some loaned out to beginners
Going back to Hawaii for 4 weeks on 25th, taking two of the girls with me, don't know WHAT I am returning with. Pray for me

Brenda Wong
01-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Hope you find something special in Hawaii. New products should be in the shops by then
I visited at the wrong time (first week of January) Very limited selection

sukie
01-10-2015, 06:21 PM
What ..you're made out of monogamy !!? Wow....don't stand too close to the fire !!

Oh...and please ...explain "sun".....
The strings don't stay in tune when I sit out in the sun and play. Or, I guess it could be the humidity.

Kimosabe
01-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Every time I forget that I said I wouldn't need any more ukes, that that was the last one I needed. Every time I think my wife has forgotten that I said I didn't need anymore. Every time I've almost paid off the one I bought before. Every time I need to buy something like the one I sold a few years before.
Every time I think a new uke will do me more good than simply practicing with what I have.

Yes, I'm a ukeaholic!

mm stan
01-10-2015, 08:20 PM
there are certain level you attain..buying levels from cost, tone and preformance standpoint,
pre customs, then customs.... after that you have fun with any uke... it's the journey that
is fun.. happy Strummings

Andy Chen
01-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Every time I forget that I said I wouldn't need any more ukes, that that was the last one I needed. Every time I think my wife has forgotten that I said I didn't need anymore. Every time I've almost paid off the one I bought before. Every time I need to buy something like the one I sold a few years before.
Every time I think a new uke will do me more good than simply practicing with what I have.

Yes, I'm a ukeaholic!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Jeffelele
01-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Not nearly often enough. Not even close. I have Ukulele Deprivation Syndrome.

Jeff

Rakelele
01-11-2015, 12:50 AM
At first, I wanted to limit myself to one a year and getting one in every size. But then my wife joined in, so we figured that we could have at least two of each, and pretty soon we were up to buying one per month. It actually worked, we had to slow down because there were no more new models to try (or the ones we wanted were not available)... ;)

consitter
01-11-2015, 12:55 AM
Last one I acquired was in 2012.

Yeah, I'm starving.

DownUpDave
01-11-2015, 01:27 AM
I have been playing about ten months and have 8 ukes in the house and two customs on order. About one a month, a nice even pace allowing me to get to know the instrument before a new one arrives. They all get played, some more than others.

I am currently learning the Eddie Vedder song "Longing to Belong". Played it on a Low G tenor did not like the sound. Next was a high G soprano, then concert, then tenor. Settled on the Gretsch tenor with Aquila strings as the best sounding instrument for that song. This my dear Brenda is how we JUSTIFY buying so many different ukes.

Mattyukaholic
01-11-2015, 01:42 AM
I've gone full circle. At one point I had 22 ukes. But then I realised I didn't play half of them regularly. I sold and traded them off for fewer, but better quality ukes. Now I have 6: 3 sopranos, 1 concert and 2 tenors. I spent and squandered a lot of money in the past but learned some valuable lessons and enjoyed the ride. I never seem to be able to resist new ukes so now I rotate them; one in one out. I've got three that I would never sell and have kept all along.

CeeJay
01-11-2015, 03:15 AM
The strings don't stay in tune when I sit out in the sun and play. Or, I guess it could be the humidity.

Na , not working for me :o ...What is "Sun"?....oh this is from the UK by the way :o:D

We have heard rumours of a solar object that lives above the rain clouds ...but naah .

sukie
01-11-2015, 04:01 AM
Na , not working for me :o ...What is "Sun"?....oh this is from the UK by the way :o:D

We have heard rumours of a solar object that lives above the rain clouds ...but naah .

It's a big yellow thing up in the sky! Granted, I haven't been to England since 2002, but it was really, really hot and sunny. You must get sun every few years?

CeeJay
01-11-2015, 04:25 AM
It's a big yellow thing up in the sky! Granted, I haven't been to England since 2002, but it was really, really hot and sunny. You must get sun every few years?
2002 !! ?? Yeah ..oh that ...oh I remember now...please return and bring it back with you then :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Whoops back on Topic ....just loading my latest toys Epiphone concert connected to Yamaha THR10 amp......(Honky Tonk Women here we come....)
Christmas acquisitions....

Doc_J
01-11-2015, 04:35 AM
I've bought quite a few ukes over the last half-dozen years. I've also sold quite a few. Whatever it has cost to own (dare I say rent) the great variation of so many ukes has been worth every penny. I've learned a lot about ukes and myself, and made some wonderful friends. New instruments are new discoveries. Hope try some more ukes and rehome some ukes this year and every year. :)

fretie
01-11-2015, 05:13 AM
I've bought quite a few ukes over the last half-dozen years. I've also sold quite a few. Whatever it has cost to own (dare I say rent) the great variation of so many ukes has been worth every penny. I've learned a lot about ukes and myself, and made some wonderful friends. New instruments are new discoveries. Hope try some more ukes and rehome some ukes this year and every year. :)

Well said!

It's true that this uke journey involves 'renting' ukes as we seek the one(s) we want to actually own.

Captain America
01-11-2015, 05:21 AM
I've got a beater Mahalo in back of the closet, which I never use. I'll find some use for it, perhaps playing while I'm mowing the lawn.

I've got three others: a Mainland soprano (which sounds just fine), a Kala hog concert (which sounds just fine) and a Kala LaSalle (which sounds even better). I sold a spruce-topped Kala concert when I made myself dissatisfied with its sound; I thought it just didn't have the classic uke sound.

I plan to buy a Kala longneck soprano this year, and I might be in the market for a hog soprano that's easier to hold (with a bit thicker neck).

But generally, I've got good-sounding ukes in every slot I need (don't expect to get into baritone at all). In the back of my mind, I think there's something attractive about keeping the ukulele thing rather inexpensive (I see it as part of the uke ethos); and remembering that often times it's the player, not the instrument, that needs change/improvement.

Booli
01-11-2015, 09:00 AM
After 35 yrs of guitar, I have now 18? ukes (lost count), since starting with this instrument ~19 months ago.

So I have averaged about 1 uke per month, but in reality it did not happen that way. They are all scale lengths, shapes, body sizes, and many different tunings. Each satisifes a different need and purpose.

3 of these I have created in attempts at amatuer lutherie, for what I wanted ether existed nowhere else as something I could buy, nor at a price that I could justify because of being such a niche instrument and costing $$$$.

There are about 4-5 more ukes on my wish list (that I have to save up for), and then I think I'll be done with UAS (yes, I know, famous last words).

But now I need to selling off all the unplayed guitars, partly to let someone else enjoy them, partly to make room, and partly to finance further UAS.

However, I also recently purchased a used parlor-sized 25.5" scale nylon string guitar, from Elderly, an Art & Lutherie Ami, with a solid cedar top, and I am VERY impressed with this instrument (but I digress, and further details will be in a NGD thread later on)...

At times I have felt hopelessly addicted to this instrument, but there are much worse addictions to have.:)

Dan Uke
01-11-2015, 02:00 PM
I get all my ukus free!! :p

Brenda Wong
01-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Since I live in Canada, ordering uku on line could cost arm and a leg in currency exchange plus custom. This may help not developing the addiction. I hope!
I do envy those living in the U.S. with so much selections!
May be I will wait for a trip to Thailand then I can buy the Tiny Tenor at a fair price ?

Tigeralum2001
01-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Since I live in Canada, ordering uku on line could cost arm and a leg in currency exchange plus custom. This may help not developing the addiction. I hope!
I do envy those living in the U.S. with so much selections!
May be I will wait for a trip to Thailand then I can buy the Tiny Tenor at a fair price ?

LFdM makes ukes in Canada. nongdam swears by them... http://lfdmguitars.ca/

bigphil
01-11-2015, 04:25 PM
I have 9, many were purchased during trips to the land of Aloha and my wife wants to go again in April. I'm not complaining. I also wanted to see if I could build one, which I did last winter, this has become one of my primary instruments. I haven't run out of ukes I want either so when we pass through HMS in April, who knows. There is actually one more instrument I'm hoping to eventually own, then I can be more like Sukie!

Steveperrywriter
01-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Just under two years playing ukes, bought six, have three, one more on the way, and then I am done with UAS forever.*

*probably ...

Colonel Uke
01-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Whenever the strings start to wear out on the old one. That's what you're supposed to do, right.

Booli
01-14-2015, 05:12 AM
Whenever the strings start to wear out on the old one. That's what you're supposed to do, right.

Ha Ha. OMG. LOL :)

(10 chars req'd)

wrestlingmatt51
01-14-2015, 05:25 AM
I think I have some internal symptoms of UAS, but for the time being my budget is keeping me vaccinated. Although I did just order a new tenor...