The next Selmer uke

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
BRW with sunburst German spruce top and 1001 miters. It is getting an LR bAGGs pickup, hence the 1/2" hole at the end graft.

10377163_756943807727668_5721098952163585104_n.jpg
10387502_756943747727674_8773610742688982187_n.jpg
10897738_756943887727660_8568034311004873869_n.jpg
10897774_756943861060996_8084711339228004874_n.jpg
10904825_756519654436750_1273032620_n.jpg

After looking at that I go into my shop and look at my little end grafts and I think someday you will grow up to look like that. Really inspiring stuff... Now to the part I don't understand: Did you actually cut out and glue in a thin ebony ring around the sound hole?? If you did, hats off man. That is cool. Now I'm dreaming. As in, yeah, you can do that too. In your dreams. Reality is somewhat different.

how does one make a oval soundhole? is it grinded out by a dremel to form the oval shape?

Very pretty! Love the details.

how does one make a oval soundhole?

I use a drawing program (eg Visio) to draw a suitable ellipse, print it, cut it out and glue to the soundboard, cut a circle in the middle of the ellipse and VERY CAREFULLY cut/file/sand back to the edge of the ellipse.

There are undoubtedly much better ways but with my limited skill set this works for me
Miguel

how does one make a oval soundhole? is it grinded out by a dremel to form the oval shape?

...Did you actually cut out and glue in a thin ebony ring around the sound hole?? If you did, hats off man...

I forget if the soundhole is bound is ebony or black fiber- black fiber is easier to bend into tight curves and when finished looks like ebony so its probably fiber.

As for the rosette- i got a oval template form teh art store to get the shape, then hand sanded it to shape. Then i put on teh bwb purfling.
Once made, I hand inlayed it into the top with a scalpel- I then hand cut the sound hole with a drill and knife.

your can make a template to do all this my i dont make many oval soundholes. If i get more orders for selmers, ill make a template but its easy enough to do by hand

When making a Selmer style uke do the construction elements of the uke bring the Selmer signature sound to the ukulele or is the look the primary purpose?

Seeking no right or wrong, just curious.

Always knocked out by your work.

A non-luthier I find your posts and videos very accessible. Much appreciation.

Jeff

Really selmer guitars sound like resonator guitars- they have a strange metallic reverb - at least the ones ive heard in person.

The small soundhole and wide lower bout (which is baritone width) makes for a punchy sound with quick response and quicker decay.

I didn't necessarily go for the original sound of the instruments, but you do somewhat naturally get the original Selmer sound with the small sound hole (rather then the selmer body shape itself)

Thanks.

I didn't make the Selmer/resonator connection until you pointed out.

Jeff

They didn't have a resonator cone in them, but they (the ones ive played) have a strange reverb that sounds like it (im not talking about the weird wooden reflector thing some had)

Interesting--listening to your youtube video of (I assume) your first uke in this style, it sounds like each note is fairly discrete/distinct, with low sustain, good for pickers and jazz in particular. Would you say the main differences are wider lower bout and smaller sound hole? Anything else?

Thanks!

Interesting--listening to your youtube video of (I assume) your first uke in this style, it sounds like each note is fairly discrete/distinct, with low sustain, good for pickers and jazz in particular. Would you say the main differences are wider lower bout and smaller sound hole? Anything else?

Thanks!

Yer- i reckon the main difference is the small (very small) sound hole, over the baritone sized lower bout- However, the soundhole and wide Lower bout of course work together, ie, the small sound hole seems smaller from a physics point of view due to the larger vibrational area-
Said again,
the same sized sound hole (which is about 1.5" x 2") on a concert wouldn't have the same effect on tone re punchiness, but i presume a equally small sound hole in proportion to a concert would produce a similar effect.

With Selmers, I think it comes down to too much air being pushed out of a small sound hole-

This is a good thing for a punchy sound, faster solos and runs, Hawaiian rhythm strumming and other 'staccato' stuff. BLue grass would be perfect on these selmers and of course any jazz stuff (as long as your wearing a Beret).

A fast punchy sound is not so useful if you are wanting to play slow airs with 8 second pauses between notes (ie a Danny boy solo!)

Ps- yes, that was my first selmer, the selmer in this thread is my second. I plan to offer a normal sized sound hole for people who like the selmer shape but want a more melodic playing uke- Im going to have to change the lower bout witch too as it only JUST fits in a baritone case!- Great for tone, sucks for trying to find a ready made market case. (it fits in a Oahu case)

Last edited:
I plan to offer a normal sized sound hole for people who like the selmer shape but want a more melodic playing uke- Im going to have to change the lower bout witch too as it only JUST fits in a baritone case!- Great for tone, sucks for trying to find a ready made market case. (it fits in a Oahu case)

I think that's a great idea. I don't know if there's a great market for a true selmer sounding uke as I am more into the shape than the sound and there is no way I will ever come close to playing like Django.

Also, I know that decreasing your lower bout about an inch will greatly increase the case options, which is a huge plus for the consumer.

Top Bottom