PDA

View Full Version : The next Selmer uke

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-10-2015, 12:07 PM
BRW with sunburst German spruce top and 1001 miters. It is getting an LR bAGGs pickup, hence the 1/2" hole at the end graft.

greenie44
01-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Wow - just wow.

jcalkin
01-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Stunning. Amazing work, Beau.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks John and Greenie :)

Michael Smith
01-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Nice details Beau !!!!

sequoia
01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
After looking at that I go into my shop and look at my little end grafts and I think someday you will grow up to look like that. Really inspiring stuff... Now to the part I don't understand: Did you actually cut out and glue in a thin ebony ring around the sound hole?? If you did, hats off man. That is cool. Now I'm dreaming. As in, yeah, you can do that too. In your dreams. Reality is somewhat different.

komedy
01-10-2015, 08:14 PM
how does one make a oval soundhole? is it grinded out by a dremel to form the oval shape?

greenscoe
01-10-2015, 11:06 PM
As ever just amazing!

we tigers
01-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Very pretty! Love the details.

lauburu
01-11-2015, 08:32 AM
how does one make a oval soundhole?

I use a drawing program (eg Visio) to draw a suitable ellipse, print it, cut it out and glue to the soundboard, cut a circle in the middle of the ellipse and VERY CAREFULLY cut/file/sand back to the edge of the ellipse.

There are undoubtedly much better ways but with my limited skill set this works for me
Miguel

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-11-2015, 08:40 AM
how does one make a oval soundhole? is it grinded out by a dremel to form the oval shape?

...Did you actually cut out and glue in a thin ebony ring around the sound hole?? If you did, hats off man...

I forget if the soundhole is bound is ebony or black fiber- black fiber is easier to bend into tight curves and when finished looks like ebony so its probably fiber.

As for the rosette- i got a oval template form teh art store to get the shape, then hand sanded it to shape. Then i put on teh bwb purfling.
Once made, I hand inlayed it into the top with a scalpel- I then hand cut the sound hole with a drill and knife.

your can make a template to do all this my i dont make many oval soundholes. If i get more orders for selmers, ill make a template but its easy enough to do by hand

Dan Uke
01-11-2015, 10:22 AM
I hope it sounds like a mini guitar :p

PhilUSAFRet
01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Wow - just wow.

:agree: What greenie said.....oh hell, another Wow won't hurt.

Jeffelele
01-12-2015, 10:56 PM
When making a Selmer style uke do the construction elements of the uke bring the Selmer signature sound to the ukulele or is the look the primary purpose?

Seeking no right or wrong, just curious.

Always knocked out by your work.

A non-luthier I find your posts and videos very accessible. Much appreciation.

Jeff

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Really selmer guitars sound like resonator guitars- they have a strange metallic reverb - at least the ones ive heard in person.

The small soundhole and wide lower bout (which is baritone width) makes for a punchy sound with quick response and quicker decay.

I didn't necessarily go for the original sound of the instruments, but you do somewhat naturally get the original Selmer sound with the small sound hole (rather then the selmer body shape itself)

Jeffelele
01-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks.

I didn't make the Selmer/resonator connection until you pointed out.

Jeff

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-15-2015, 02:59 AM
They didn't have a resonator cone in them, but they (the ones ive played) have a strange reverb that sounds like it (im not talking about the weird wooden reflector thing some had)

Matt Clara
01-15-2015, 03:56 AM
Interesting--listening to your youtube video of (I assume) your first uke in this style, it sounds like each note is fairly discrete/distinct, with low sustain, good for pickers and jazz in particular. Would you say the main differences are wider lower bout and smaller sound hole? Anything else?

Thanks!

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Interesting--listening to your youtube video of (I assume) your first uke in this style, it sounds like each note is fairly discrete/distinct, with low sustain, good for pickers and jazz in particular. Would you say the main differences are wider lower bout and smaller sound hole? Anything else?

Thanks!

Yer- i reckon the main difference is the small (very small) sound hole, over the baritone sized lower bout- However, the soundhole and wide Lower bout of course work together, ie, the small sound hole seems smaller from a physics point of view due to the larger vibrational area-
Said again,
the same sized sound hole (which is about 1.5" x 2") on a concert wouldn't have the same effect on tone re punchiness, but i presume a equally small sound hole in proportion to a concert would produce a similar effect.

With Selmers, I think it comes down to too much air being pushed out of a small sound hole-

This is a good thing for a punchy sound, faster solos and runs, Hawaiian rhythm strumming and other 'staccato' stuff. BLue grass would be perfect on these selmers and of course any jazz stuff (as long as your wearing a Beret).

A fast punchy sound is not so useful if you are wanting to play slow airs with 8 second pauses between notes (ie a Danny boy solo!)

Ps- yes, that was my first selmer, the selmer in this thread is my second. I plan to offer a normal sized sound hole for people who like the selmer shape but want a more melodic playing uke- Im going to have to change the lower bout witch too as it only JUST fits in a baritone case!- Great for tone, sucks for trying to find a ready made market case. (it fits in a Oahu case)

Dan Uke
01-16-2015, 07:11 AM
I plan to offer a normal sized sound hole for people who like the selmer shape but want a more melodic playing uke- Im going to have to change the lower bout witch too as it only JUST fits in a baritone case!- Great for tone, sucks for trying to find a ready made market case. (it fits in a Oahu case)

I think that's a great idea. I don't know if there's a great market for a true selmer sounding uke as I am more into the shape than the sound and there is no way I will ever come close to playing like Django.

Also, I know that decreasing your lower bout about an inch will greatly increase the case options, which is a huge plus for the consumer.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-16-2015, 09:55 AM
I think that's a great idea. I don't know if there's a great market for a true selmer sounding uke as I am more into the shape than the sound and there is no way I will ever come close to playing like Django.

Also, I know that decreasing your lower bout about an inch will greatly increase the case options, which is a huge plus for the consumer.

Yer- as it is now, its not totally selmer sounding- its fine for normal playing, but with a honk sound.

1" is too much (although it could be done- ie LFDM's Selmer lower bouts are tenor size)- I will probably take about 1/8" off each side, so it still fits in a baritone case without the squeeze. I do want it to be somewhat different to my tenors- it will be a good option for those who want a baritone tone, but with a tenor scale. I might make a Selmer that fits in a tenor case as an option.

Dan Uke
01-23-2015, 06:36 AM
so where's th sound sample? ;)

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Here is this uke in action- improv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcCrz8UZMw

sequoia
01-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Beau you are just killing us as usual. Very nice sounding and your binding and purfling always inspires. Trebles really start to pop there. Nice mid range too... What really makes me think are your end grafts. Great example of good execution and great design coming together. And the finish... Give me a break.

greenie44
01-29-2015, 01:42 AM
Uh, Beau - is that you playing? If so, an earlier comment you made to me about your relative playing skill (in an email long ago) is far from accurate - great playing!

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-29-2015, 03:00 AM
Beau you are just killing us as usual. Very nice sounding and your binding and purfling always inspires. Trebles really start to pop there. Nice mid range too... What really makes me think are your end grafts. Great example of good execution and great design coming together. And the finish... Give me a break.

Uh, Beau - is that you playing? If so, an earlier comment you made to me about your relative playing skill (in an email long ago) is far from accurate - great playing!

Yer- thats me playing- i used to play alot of fingerstyle guitar but hardly ever play anything anymore, just for 15 mins when i string up a new instrument. I should play more!

PereBourik
01-29-2015, 04:37 AM
You should play more. I can wait an extra month.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-29-2015, 05:09 AM
I might do another video of some more Hawaiian style tunes...i gotta practice a bit for that though!

Dan Uke
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
I might do another video of some more Hawaiian style tunes...i gotta practice a bit for that though!

Play Hawaiian music with Steve's...send mine asap and I'll play the Hawaiian music! hahaha :p

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Steves would have been strung up today if the tuners weren't still in the UK

Matt Clara
01-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Gorgeous fret board there, Beau. What size fret wire is that? It's fatter than what I've been using, and I like it.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-30-2015, 06:35 AM
I use .080" Evo Gold from Jaycar or the .080" nickel from Stew Mac.

Ideally, i'd like .65"-.070" but they don't make it.

The usual .53" you see on ukes is to weak and bends/twists etc when you cut the tang for a bound fingerboard.

Dan Uke
01-30-2015, 10:52 AM

The usual .53" you see on ukes is to weak and bends/twists etc when you cut the tang for a bound fingerboard.

Can you use a smaller crowning file to make it smaller? Just curious

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
One could file each side down but I dont have enough mental capacity to do such a thing

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-30-2015, 04:42 PM

Don't you mean "Jescar"? I have no trouble removing the tang from smaller wire, which I personally prefer. You just can't use the nippers though. I made a tang removing tool to do the job. BTW, Jescar also sells great flannel domet buffs at a very reasonable price.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Opps- Yes, Jescar.

Chuck- you use the Jescar flannel domet buffs?- Do you recommend the biggest wheel you can put on the buffer or stick to 14"?? ive never bought them.

Jeffelele
01-31-2015, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry but I can't seem to restrain myself from saying, "I saw a flock of Great Flannel Domet Buffs fly by just the other day!"

Sorry.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-01-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry but I can't seem to restrain myself from saying, "I saw a flock of Great Flannel Domet Buffs fly by just the other day!"

Sorry.

"Excuse me sir, but is that a Great Flannel Domet Buff in your pocket?"