Opinions for this beginner

Riverpirate

Reaction score
I see a bunch of threads asking opinions on different ukuleles for beginner, but I found one i love with little info on it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L5RQCQ...=UTF8&colid=RZQI2WQIRNP&coliid=I3LRY2W12GJFTA

Its a off brand ( actually made under different names ). I am in love with this ukulele. I love the look and I love the sound in the very few videos I have watched. I am confused about the tuning of it. It has 2 extra frets for a tenor and the few opinions are talking about tuning it up or down. I have no clue about that stuff as I am very new to this. Can it just be tuned as a normal tenor ukulele and played in normal simple chords?

Also does anyone here have one and if so what is your opinion of it for a beginner. I tell you I love it so far , just dont want to waste money. I love different style ukulele's and would love something out of the ordinary.

My budget right now is $100-150 for the ukulele. I can get a bag later. I have already ordered a tuner.

aloha. I think it looks nice. appears to have competent tuners. not sure of the scale of the instrument. Only potential downside(besides scale issues) I can see off hand is that you can't use a neck style strap with that shape of sound hole. never heard this instrument though let alone see it.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYdRiSZY2I#t=40

This is a video of a seasonista Jazzbanjorex playing the same instrument ....in my opinion ,if it's good enough for him ...it's good enough...and if it is singing out to ya...then buy it...you get an itch , despite what Mummy says , you have to scratch it.....

most instruments choose you ...you don't choose them...and kudos for liking something a bit out of the ordinaire...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/member.php?70820-Jazzbanjorex

PM him and ask ..tell him I sent you ...he'll understand and stamp on my favourite uke....nah seriously ..he'll tell you the skinny....

Don't mind me ..I'm English and as daft as a bogbrush ......

Last edited:
I dont mind the english, lol I lived among you for years. i was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in the early 90's.
Jazzbanjorex is the one that has me all confused about tuning the thing. He talks about tuning up or down and playing in different keys. I have no clue about that stuff. I barley know the 4 basic chords, lol. I'll send him a PM. Thanks

I see a bunch of threads asking opinions on different ukuleles for beginner, but I found one i love with little info on it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L5RQCQ...=UTF8&colid=RZQI2WQIRNP&coliid=I3LRY2W12GJFTA

Its a off brand ( actually made under different names ). I am in love with this ukulele. I love the look and I love the sound in the very few videos I have watched. I am confused about the tuning of it. It has 2 extra frets for a tenor and the few opinions are talking about tuning it up or down. I have no clue about that stuff as I am very new to this. Can it just be tuned as a normal tenor ukulele and played in normal simple chords?

Also does anyone here have one and if so what is your opinion of it for a beginner. I tell you I love it so far , just dont want to waste money. I love different style ukulele's and would love something out of the ordinary.

My budget right now is $100-150 for the ukulele. I can get a bag later. I have already ordered a tuner.
Riverpirate If you love that uke buy it by all means. I think you should listen to a uke in person before you buy. Lancaster Guitar Center Tenor Ukuleles Is probably five minutes away if its not rush hour. I like the sound of the Lanikai, the Lunas and the Cordobas. I think the Cordoba has a radius fret board. I would think about the mahogany models for a starter uke. I have played the concert size of all these ukes and found them very pleasant.

I live in Matamoras dauphin county and built the gas line in Mountville a number of years ago. Its about an hour away. If you'd like to get together to play some time PM me.

I was at the Fort Hunter song swap today (2nd Sunday of the month in the barn. 1-4 PM). Five folks play ukulele here. Today I found out about Central PA Ukulele Club In Hummelstown. I understand it is geared towards beginners. Maybe I'll see you there.

Personally, I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, but then I don't like recommending buying ukes from Amazon.

What has happened in the last year is that the uke market has been flooded with more and more Chinese models like this. Some are great, some are far from it and without playing them all it is, sadly, impossible to know in advance.

Certainly it seems swings and roundabouts - when I started playing the choice could be counted on one hand, now there are hundreds, and 2015 will see even more. It actually poses a challenge to buyers when there are so many and so much chaff in the wheat!

In summary - buy if you want to take a chance - you may get lucky.

Alternatively there are dozens of alternatives for similar money with more road miles on them and opinions written up from real life players.

My main reason for buying from Amazon is that I cant find anything around here ( lancaster pa area ). Ive tried Guitar center and there is nothing I like. I cant really find anyone else local that carries ukulele's. I really want to play a model before I buy it , but cant find any. Right now Im looking at Eddy Finn's on Amazon ( recommended buy a member here ). Id rather try one first though.

I just purchased and received my first ukulele, a Kala MK-T Tenor, from Amazon and love it. Like you, I would have preferred trying out an instrument in person but its not like there's a bunch of ukulele shops here in DC. I trusted the comments and reviews (there were plenty), which were largely favorable. Well the tend to have been true and I like my little uke. It ran about $73.00 and as an Amazon Prime member, it was shipped for free and in two days. I bought a Snark Tuner and a set of Aquila replacement strings but haven't put them on yet. The uke is staying fairly well tuned, needing only minor re-tuning on occasion.

Good luck on the Aloha path!

Riverplate - there are no ukulele shops near me either. Whilst people do like to recommend buying in store - its not always possible for people.

The thing is, there ARE good online stores who will give you advice by phone or email and not sell you a pup. Try Hawaiian Music Supply or Mims ukes as just two I would recommend. Just avoid Amazon..

Well with some advise from others here on the site I ordered and received my new Ukulele ! I ended up going with a Eddy Finn Tenor in Basswood. I bought it through Amazon and got free 2 day shipping , thanks to mom's prime membership. I played around with it for 3 hours lastnight. It took a little fiddling with at first. The tuners had to be tightened up a little , but after that it played pretty good. im going to play around with this one for awhile and probably end up buying something higher end when income taxes come around. Thanks for all the advise !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYdRiSZY2I#t=40

This is a video of a seasonista Jazzbanjorex playing the same instrument ....in my opinion ,if it's good enough for him ...it's good enough...and if it is singing out to ya...then buy it...you get an itch , despite what Mummy says , you have to scratch it.....

most instruments choose you ...you don't choose them...and kudos for liking something a bit out of the ordinaire...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/member.php?70820-Jazzbanjorex

PM him and ask ..tell him I sent you ...he'll understand and stamp on my favourite uke....nah seriously ..he'll tell you the skinny....

Don't mind me ..I'm English and as daft as a bogbrush ......

CeeJay is fooling with you....he is anything but daft....I little weird maybe, but certainly NOT daft!

Top Bottom