School ukulele club - where to start?

TheOsprey

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a uke club on Wednesday, with a class for 7-9 year olds. We have 30 ukes, but that's pretty much as far as I've got. I've always been the king of preparation.

So, what would you do in the first session? Discuss strumming? Introduce a couple of simple chords and play some songs?

Help!

Assume pure novice beginners so concentrate on the fundamentals. How to sit properly, how to hold the uke, fretting hand postion to cradle the neck. A simple C, F, G chord shape lesson, explain finger tip pressures and postions to the fret wire. All the stuff we take for granted. No lesson is complete without the basic d, d, d, d strum and a really simple song to learn. Enjoy, have fun with the kids and congrats on starting this.

We have a uke club at my daughter's school, for grades 2-6. The teacher that leads it started the first day with teaching them to hold it. She said it should cross thier bodies like a seatbelt, so their left hand would be able to make chord shapes more easily, than if they just held it horizontal. She taught basic strumming, and they learned the C7 & F chords, and played Oh My Darlin Clementine. They loved it. The next meeting, the learned the G chord and Am. The kids had a difficult time with G, and she placed little star stickers on thier fretboards, where thier fingers are suppose to go. I was worried about sticker residue on her fretboard, but it's really helped my daughter. I also imagine the stickers were very helpful to the teacher, since there are so many kids (I was unable to help her that day).

Good luck with your uke club! Ours has been a big hit and has been the talk of the town!

One other thing, the kids learned on the first day....the order of strings GCEA, she taught them "Gordon Conrad Eats Apples."

She also sent a handout home for parents explaining how to tune a uke, suggested a tuner app for phones, and I think it had a diagram with finger numbers.

Great thread! This past semester we started teaching uke in general music during the school day. We are now planning on starting an after school uke club, with the idea of more intermediate and advanced players. These are junior high kids, but I think the same rules apply. Assume very novice level, very little reading skills, try to do some 1 or 2 chord songs at first.

There is a book called "21 songs in 6 days" written by an elementary teacher in my area. You can find it on amazon, it can be useful! Also look ahead to Aaron Keims upcoming ukulele handbook which was written for beginners, and Aaron and Nicole both have elementary teaching experience which I know has framed a good chunk of it.

Great thread! This past semester we started teaching uke in general music during the school day. We are now planning on starting an after school uke club, with the idea of more intermediate and advanced players. These are junior high kids, but I think the same rules apply. Assume very novice level, very little reading skills, try to do some 1 or 2 chord songs at first.

There is a book called "21 songs in 6 days" written by an elementary teacher in my area. You can find it on amazon, it can be useful! Also look ahead to Aaron Keims upcoming ukulele handbook which was written for beginners, and Aaron and Nicole both have elementary teaching experience which I know has framed a good chunk of it.

My daughter's teacher has integrated the ukuleles in the regular curriculum in the higher grades. Fifth grade played them at the Christmas concert.

My daughter's teacher has integrated the ukuleles in the regular curriculum in the higher grades. Fifth grade played them at the Christmas concert.

Wonderful! I took my 7th and 8th grade classes "uke-caroling" (uke-aroling?) the last day before winter break, very fun experience!

Wonderful! I took my 7th and 8th grade classes "uke-caroling" (uke-aroling?) the last day before winter break, very fun experience!

That's a great idea! I bet it was fun! Our uke club is very new. They have had 3 meetings, so far and only meet once a month. The teacher also has another uke club, at another school that is more established. This is their second year. If one more school chooses to have a uke club, it will be district wide (within the grade school). It has also created other opportunities. A few of these kids attend my church and they want to come up with songs to play during the service. It has been exciting!

Whew, you've got your work cut out for you :) You will have fun though. I started a club at our elementary school a couple of years ago. Working with the music teacher he got a grant for 20 ukuleles for the classroom at a bulk rate. He teaches it during school and together we run the club. We found that during the week (after school) is the best time to have the meeting. On Friday's their minds are too focused on the weekend.

The first meeting we had had 40 kids in it! So, big whoops on our part. Don't have too many kids at once! I think 15 is the tops. You'll need a helper too if possible so while you are teaching another can be helping the kids place fingers etc. If you have the time and more kids want to be in the club you could have it on 2 days. Unless you have A LOT of help. I found that for these young kids it is important to have a strap (cheap thin rope or 1/4in cloth ribbon) on the ukes. It keeps them from messing around with the ukes and helps them be able to form chords. I agree as above, stickers really help for the 3 finger chords! Use those colored dots from the stationary store, color can denote which finger goes where. I always teach for GCEA Great Cats Eat Apples.

Set rules! You want the class to be fun but with the young ones they need these rules. There will be behavior issues. The music teacher and I used the 3 strikes method. You set the penalty. On the 3rd strike we notified the parent. If they didn't straighten up they would be removed from the club. I'm glad to say we never had to do that! Came close though!

As for early songs the children seem to just love "We Will Rock You" (with some performing percussion on the back of the uke), "Battle of New Orleans", "Boa Constrictor". I often take a familiar popular song they listen to now on the radio and if it is inappropriate (which many are) I put new words to it. Make sure each has a binder they keep in order and have the pages ready for them (3 hole). The parent's really need to be on board to help their kids. Have a parent meeting before the club begins. You'll need to have these parents help for the club be successful. They will really need to have a uke at home for practice for the best success.

We had to eventually split our group as some learn faster than others. We were loosing the attention of the kids who "got it" and had to develop an intermediate group. Well, obviously I have tons to share about this. If you'd like to ask any specific questions and like my advice you can p.m. me and I'll give you my email address for easier communication. You will have tons of fun watching their eyes light up and discovering those kids that just seem to naturally have a talent for music. It's very rewarding!

This is the first year I have not been involved in the club and I miss it. The ukes are still in the school and I may do the club next year. But with the music teacher having his first child and with mine graduating to middle school and my starting a uke club in town things got tight. Our school does not allow a parent to teach a club without a teacher present and without special school board consent and I just didn't have the time to deal with it this year.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi everyone, sorry I've only just realised that I never responded to this and I felt bad for what could have been perceived as a lack of gratitude. I assure you it wasn't!

Thank you all for your responses. I spoke further with bonesigh through email and she was a huge help (thanks again). My uke club has now been running for a few months and is going brilliantly - we've now learned C, F, G7, G and Am and have learned a few simple songs (kookaburra, clementine, three little birds) and now we're trying to learn Under the Sea to play in an assembly at some point. Some of my group seem to be picking up the chords and changes really well, committing the changes to muscle memory brilliantly. I've also convinced the headteacher that they should all take them home during the week, and it's all still free.

I keep forgetting my ukulele though, leaving it at home and needing to use one of the sopranos - I clearly need a new uke!

That is wonderful!!! Yes, you need a school uke!

How great that they are able to take them home and practice, while keeping things free. That is great.

Top Bottom