K Brands and Quality Consistency

pluck

Reaction score
Hi!

I watched a youtube review of an entry level tenor from one of the major K Brand uke builders. The reviewer was a little underwhelmed by his mail order purchase. In fact, he thought he had received a dud. Certainly, his experience drives home the idea that it's always best to try before one buys - but sometimes that isn't possible.

Would you say that this reviewer's experience is fairly common or somewhat unique? Is there a lack of consistency with some K Brand output, particularly with their entry level lines?

Is there a lack of consistency with some K Brand output, particularly with their entry level lines?

Hi Pluck - most of my experience is with Kamakas, and while I love them, I've noticed quite a bit of inconsistency. My local shop carries all three K brands and I've played many of each.

Kamakas - what can I say, to my ear they all sound very different. I've encountered some with intonation issues; I've encountered some with finish flaws; I've encountered three that are absolutely perfect in every way (the three I own) - no flaws, spot-on intonation all the way up the neck, and great overall tone. Of course, this is hard to tell in person because (in my opinion anyway) the stock strings they come with all sound dreadful - I've been fortunate enough to be able to switch out the strings before committing to buy. But if you find one in person that sounds great with the awful stock strings, then you've found a winner!

Koalohas to me all sound and play like Koalohas. They're great! I don't own one as I'm not fond of the design elements, but the sound can't be beat. However, I've encountered a few that when played side by side, one stood out over the other as far superior.

Kanile'a sound and build quality seem to be pretty consistent, but I've never owned one as I don't care for the feel of their necks (they seem big and clunky to my little hands) so maybe I just haven't spent enough time with them to notice the inconsistencies.

I haven't seen the video you're referring to buy I'm going to say that I think the reviewer's experience is fairly common not for K-brand ukes per se, but for mail-order purchases. Speaking for myself, I've learned my lesson - every single uke that I've bought sight unseen has been re-homed. I understand that not everybody can try before they buy, but I think if you are buying sight unseen, expect that there will be a possibility of disappointment.

Yes, I agree. Best if you can see and play the uke or have a trusted source.

I've had a couple of Kamaka and KoAloha ukes, but numerous Kanile'a. The finish and feel of Kanilea on the best of the three. There haven't been any flaws in the build or finish on my Kanilea ukes. I've seen finish flaws, tearouts on edges, dings and dents on new first quality KoAloha ukes. But I agree the KoAloha ukuleles are very consistently good sounding.

For me the sound, looks, build quality, feel and playability of Kanilea are my preference. I had some that sound louder than others, some that had particular notes that were off-sounding (thuddy or dull) and some that sound right up there with custom ukes.

I guess that's the difference between custom and production models. There can be a little more sound difference or variation with the production ukes vs. custom ukes.

Last edited:
The only K brand whose ukes I have owned / played a lot is KoAloha. I find that their sound and feel are remarkably consistent from uke to uke. Assuming you have played a KoAloha one some point and liked it I would have no hesitation about buying one of those without playing it first. I can't speak for any other K brands.

Thanks for all the replies. To make things even more complicated for the inexperienced: One would really need to try a roomful of instruments before buying. Trying just one might not be that helpful. Anyway, it is nice to learn, hopefully, from some of your experiences. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies. To make things even more complicated for the inexperienced: One would really need to try a roomful of instruments before buying. Trying just one might not be that helpful. Anyway, it is nice to learn, hopefully, from some of your experiences. Thanks again.

Oh, you are absolutely right.

I played every ukulele that Smiley had in stock at Ukulele Source in San Jose, CA, without even thinking about brand or price. Some were great, but I'm not a friction tuner fan. Some looked fantastic, didn't feel right. I got to the last one I hadn't played - a KoAloha Sceptre - that I was avoiding because of the design. Within 10 seconds, both my wife and I just looked at each other and said "wow." No screaming, declaration of finding the Holy Grail of Ukes,, proclaiming "this is the one!" - just "wow."

But I put it back, because it was about double what I wanted to spend.

My wife told me the next day that I needed that instrument. I had to agree. I called the shop, and told him I would be up the next day to buy it. We had it shipped back to New York.

And about 3 weeks later, I brought it back to California and I played it at my Father-in-law's memorial service.

Sometimes, the instrument picks you - but if you don't play it, neither of you get the chance to figure it out.

-Kurt​

If you want consistent sound, it is KoAloha without a doubt. However, their ukes are typically plain looking. I wonder if that is part of the recipe?

Kamaka is all over the place- I've played some that sound great and some that sound worse than a budget uke. I would NEVER buy one without playing it first.

Kanilea are pretty consistent and do have the best fit and finish of the 3. I have heard a few "duds," but not many.

If you are in the mid-to-upper range budget go with a Ko'olau! They are basically a custom shop. If you don't want a lot of bling, they are among the best value for a uke of similar quality. Since they are a custom shop, and their reputation is made with each uke, they will not let a bad one out of the door. It does mean you can't play before you buy, but I feel 100% confident you will get a great uke at any of their price points.

When it was time for me to step up in class to a K brand, I went up to HMS on a visit to Oahu. MGM was working there and he suggested the 'back turned' test. I picked out a number of possibilities and he played them while my back was turned. I chose a Kanile'a Super Tenor, and was fortunate enough to find one used a month or so later.

I never really fell for my Super Tenor, at least until I changed it to a low G, and then it really opened up for me. But I have a slight suspicion that this was not one of the best Kanile'as. Although I will say that I took it with me when I went on a factory tour last year, and some of the guys there remembered the batch.

he suggested the 'back turned' test

That's exactly what I do at my local shop when there is more than one of the same model to choose from - have a couple of different people play them while my back is turned! Two times this has resulted in me buying something, and in each case I consistently picked the same uke with my back turned, regardless of who was doing the playing. And each time it's been the plainest, least figured of the two options, but who cares - the ears don't lie :)

Oh, you are absolutely right.

I played every ukulele that Smiley had in stock at Ukulele Source in San Jose, CA, without even thinking about brand or price. Some were great, but I'm not a friction tuner fan. Some looked fantastic, didn't feel right. I got to the last one I hadn't played - a KoAloha Sceptre - that I was avoiding because of the design. Within 10 seconds, both my wife and I just looked at each other and said "wow." No screaming, declaration of finding the Holy Grail of Ukes,, proclaiming "this is the one!" - just "wow."

But I put it back, because it was about double what I wanted to spend.

My wife told me the next day that I needed that instrument. I had to agree. I called the shop, and told him I would be up the next day to buy it. We had it shipped back to New York.

And about 3 weeks later, I brought it back to California and I played it at my Father-in-law's memorial service.

Sometimes, the instrument picks you - but if you don't play it, neither of you get the chance to figure it out.

-Kurt​

If you ever get to play a spruce/ebony Sceptre, you'll say "Wow" all over again. They are that much better.

My experience
Kanilea most consistent, havnt et played a lemon yet.
Kamaka , well its a hit or miss for me. should try before you buy
Koaloha, all there ukulele sound the same, very consistent in sou d. Buuut. Back in the days they were famous for buzzing, alot better now but still you will find a buzzer , so play before you buy.

My experience
Kanilea most consistent, havnt et played a lemon yet.
Kamaka , well its a hit or miss for me. should try before you buy
Koaloha, all there ukulele sound the same, very consistent in sou d. Buuut. Back in the days they were famous for buzzing, alot better now but still you will find a buzzer , so play before you buy.

Not all KoAloha's sound the same. We have two concert at my house and one is much warmer than the other. It is a lot older, however.

I find that Kanilea differ depending on the finish.

Sorry, let me clarify. No ukulele will sound the same. I meant same.sound as koaloha has its well known bright sound. You can tell its a koaloha. Also I wrote consistent in sound if you re read the post. I have 6 koalohas and they differ a little but you know its a koaloha sound , im guessing the OP is asking about entry level kbrands. If not, then even the ebony scepter does not sound the same as other koalohas. :rolleyes:
and if its a older it might have had the time to open up compared to your newer one.

Not all KoAloha's sound the same. We have two concert at my house and one is much warmer than the other. It is a lot older, however.

I find that Kanilea differ depending on the finish.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I do at my local shop when there is more than one of the same model to choose from - have a couple of different people play them while my back is turned! Two times this has resulted in me buying something, and in each case I consistently picked the same uke with my back turned, regardless of who was doing the playing. And each time it's been the plainest, least figured of the two options, but who cares - the ears don't lie :)

Here's to non-fibbing ears!

I've either had incredible luck with Kamakas or other reviewers have possibly missed the boat. I do find that the strings on a Kamaka generally need to be changed out, depending on how long they have been on the instrument.
For my own tastes, I prefer them with Worth fluorocarbon strings.

The quality is always there for the K brands.
Consistency? Wood is a fickle mistress. No two pieces are EVER the same.
Ain't nature grand?

I've either had incredible luck with Kamakas or other reviewers have possibly missed the boat. I do find that the strings on a Kamaka generally need to be changed out, depending on how long they have been on the instrument.
For my own tastes, I prefer them with Worth fluorocarbon strings.

Have you been able to compare two or more identical Kamaka models side by side? This is where I've noticed a difference. I can't imagine being disappointed by *any* Kamaka (except for the factory strings issue!) but when you have two of the same model, as I once did (two HF2 concerts) one might be more pleasing than the other. Same goes for trying them out in stores.

That being said - I've never encountered one that I'd consider a dud. Just a bit more noticeable differences in sound (and sometimes finish) than I've noticed on the other K's.

Top Bottom