Reading tabs question

UKESTAR

Reaction score
I finally decided to check out what tabs are all about.

1. I know where my fingers are supposed to go on this, but is this picking or a strum? If picking....then what string is plucked first or are they plucked at same time....:eek::eek:??
A---6---
E-------
C-------
G---3---

2. Same Q here?:
A---2---
E---3---
C---4---
G---0---

thanks!

I finally decided to check out what tabs are all about.

1. I know where my fingers are supposed to go on this, but is this picking or a strum? If picking....then what string is plucked first or are they plucked at same time....:eek::eek:??
A---6---
E-------
C-------
G---3---

2. Same Q here?:
A---2---
E---3---
C---4---
G---0---

thanks!

Your first example could be either picking by just plucking the two outside strings at the same time (one with the thumb and the other with middle or other finger of choice) or a strum by strumming down or up to sound the two outside strings while muting the two inside strings with the flesh of your left hand.

Your second example is to pluck all the strings at once. Again, you could strum down or up or you could use the thumb for the G string the index/pointer for the C string, the middle finger for the E string and the ring finger for the A string and pluck them all at the same time.

Your first example could be either picking by just plucking the two outside strings at the same time (one with the thumb and the other with middle or other finger of choice) or a strum by strumming down or up to sound the two outside strings while muting the two inside strings with the flesh of your left hand.

Your second example is to pluck all the strings at once. Again, you could strum down or up or you could use the thumb for the G string the index/pointer for the C string, the middle finger for the E string and the ring finger for the A string and pluck them all at the same time.

Thanks Dominator!:D

Which ever numbers are lined up vertically should be played all at onced. Get it?

I have a question also about tabs. What is the meaning of numbers between brakets? I've got tabs for Desperado (Eagles) and theres a few places the numbers are ligned up with these brackets

I have a question also about tabs. What is the meaning of numbers between brakets? I've got tabs for Desperado (Eagles) and theres a few places the numbers are ligned up with these brackets
i believe they are meant to be squiggly lines. so if you have a chord (3 or 4 numbers lined up) with the brackets right next to them, you would do what i call a controlled strum (have no idea what its really called).

basically, its just a slowed down strum so you hear the chord roll instead of BAM like a normal strum is. that make sense? i suck at explaining this.

Bob,
First to make things clear these [ ] are brackets and ( ) are parenthesis. What you refer to can be one of two things.

1) a ghost note (a note that is sounded much quieter than the others)

2) the notes are sustained and carried over from the previous note. If you look at the standard music notation for Desparado (assuming you are working with tab from my site) you will see that the notes have the arched line "tying" them together.

Hopefully, that cleared things up a bit.

Last edited:
oh ok i see now. this is what i thought he was talking about:

Code:
A|-2}
E|-2{
C|-2}
G|-4{

is there a better way to make a squiggly line from top to bottom like that?

oh ok i see now. this is what i thought he was talking about:

Code:
A|-2}
E|-2{
C|-2}
G|-4{

is there a better way to make a squiggly line from top to bottom like that?

I would do it like this for stroking from 4th string through the 1st string.
Code:
|-^0------------|
|-^1--5-5-5-7-8-|
|-^2--5-5-5-5-5-|
|-^2------------|

And I would do this for the reverse. Raking from 1st string through to the 4th.
Code:
|-v0------------|
|-v1--5-5-5-7-8-|
|-v2--5-5-5-5-5-|
|-v2------------|

Unfortunately the code doesn't treat the v the same way it does the ^ that is above the 6 key.

I would do it like this for stroking from 4th string through the 1st string.
Code:
|-^0------------|
|-^1--5-5-5-7-8-|
|-^2--5-5-5-5-5-|
|-^2------------|

And I would do this for the reverse. Raking from 1st string through to the 4th.
Code:
|-v0------------|
|-v1--5-5-5-7-8-|
|-v2--5-5-5-5-5-|
|-v2------------|

Unfortunately the code doesn't treat the v the same way it does the ^ that is above the 6 key.

ahhh makes sense. thanks dom!

Hey guys sorry for the confusion ,what i ment to say was parenthesis and Dom explained it perfectly. Thank you very much .Also thank you to the gang for pitching in. I wish I had more computer savvy. I not only need help with the ukulele but also my writing skills. Ha Ha Unfortunately I only ask questions on this forum .I don't have to much knowledge to share.But I though that I was the only one with a ukulele within a 1000 miles,but to day I found out James Hill lives about 21/2 hours drive from here in a place called Truro Nova Scotia.Have to see what I can find out. Cheers

Up until now, tabs completely confused me....I just found a site that explained it to my little brain....maybe you guys already know about it but it really helped this newbie....www.ezfolk.com Go to tabs and tutorials for ukes....'spains it step by step! They also have a great alternate chord finding chart. Check 'em out.

Although it looks a little bit different from the text-tabs, you might want to check this tutorial out to get some basics down.

edit: too slow

Last edited:
Top Bottom