lower tuning on a concert

Kimosabe

Reaction score
Okay, this is a strange question but bear with me:
I have really gotten into using an A tuning on my baritones, with EAC#F# with a low E.

This tuning sounds great on my Pono and Giannini baritones and suits my vocal range.

Now the question is:
Has anyone every found strings that would allow me to use the same tuning on a tenor or better yet a concert?

I've studied Southcoast's string configurations and don't see one. I use Southcoast strings on my baritones.

Why would I want such a tuning: I'm doing a 1500 mile bike trip this summer and will carry either a Teton concert or tenor. I love the necks on the Tetons and they're indestructible solid bodies that can be listened to through headphones and they're just loud enough to play unamplified.

Okay, no takers, I'll reply to my own thread.

I just down-tuned my Pono TE-C from linear GCEA to linear EAC#F#, really nice and the strings aren't too loose, just nicely loose, really easy to bend strings.

So, the lesson learned is: If GCEA is too high for your vocal range, but DGBE too low, then EAC#F# is a very nice in between.

The same goes for tension: If GCEA is too firm in terms of tension, tune down.

Don't be afraid to play around with down-tuning your uke. If you're tuning it up, be careful you don't put too much pressure on the neck.

Of course this is all easiest in terms of playing solo. When playing with others you could always tune back up or use a capo or learn the new names of your chords and single notes.

Last edited:
Push bike, pedal, just the sound of the wind, maybe the rain. Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg, Boulogne sur Mer, etc, about 50 miles per day. I've done similar trips before but without a uke. When I rest in my tent I'll pull out my uke and write and relax. Bringing some manuscript paper. I've already started writing. Gotta wrap the uke in a gig bag and hefty garbage bag. As I said, sometimes it rains.

Last edited:
We just made a set of strings for Craig Chee that uses DGBE re-entrant tuning on his tenor. That would easily work if you tune it up a step on the tenor or even your concert. You could also try just grabbing a regular baritone set, since the shorter scale of the tenor coupled with tuning the strings up a step would work well.

I may try that in the office this morning (grab a bari set, put it on the tenor and tune it up).

I like an alternative tuning of fCFA. Yes, it requires either learning different chord shapes, or just playing open fret chords as with a steel guitar . Another reason for another uke!

I've just tuned a concert down to EAC#F# and it's working fine. I had previously had it tuned FBbDG but I found the lower tuning more convenient. I have either Worth CM or Living Water strings, I can't remember which for certain though I'm fairly sure it's the Worth. I had restrung it at a time when I was trying out different fluorocarbon strings. In the end I settled for LW but I left Worth clears on those that had them as they were fine.

The uke plays fine and I find the lower tension makes chords like Bm and Bb (ie their equivalent in A6 tuning) easier to play.

I had previously had my tenor in A6 tuning but I've taken that down to DGBE - good for accompanying folk tunes (aka "Celtic") in D, G & A so I tuned the concert down as I had found A6 tuning useful.

Last edited:
Thank you Tootler. You've answered my question and I'll give it a try. I'm interested to see whether some more difficult chords seem easier to finger such as a first position F major 7 and your Bb and Bm chords maybe even a D.

Top Bottom