Lonely For A While by Jesse Winchester on Pono Baritone

Thanks for this great version of this song. It has re-kindled an interest in exploring Jesse's "newer" stuff, as I was fully immersed in listening to pre-1990 JW, and several great albums have come after.

The "old" songs I especially liked include:
1970: That's a Touch I Like; Yankee Lady
1974: Mississippi You're On My Mind
1977: Songbird; You Remember Me; Nothing But a Breeze; Twigs and Seeds
1978: A Touch on the Rainy Side

And now I definitely add "Lonely for a While" and "All That We Have Is Now", the latter released on his last (2014) album.
Oddly, and I didn't know this until after his death, Jesse and I were born 7 months and 70 miles apart.
I saw him in '79, but we didn't meet. Trivia.

Encore!

Thanks for these great song suggestions. I will definitely give them a listen. Cheers!

Absolutely stunning version mate. Jesse Winchester was such a wonderful songwriter, he'd be proud as punch to hear it done up so right as this.

Advise please...... if I was going to attempt a version of this on a low g tenor, am I shooting for chord names or shapes ?

Advise please...... if I was going to attempt a version of this on a low g tenor, am I shooting for chord names or shapes ?

Well the tuning intervals between the strings are the same so all the chord shapes will work, you would just be playing everything in a new key. I arranged this with the inversions that sounded good to me on baritone. I did not try it on Tenor so I can't say it would sound quite the same. Alternatively you can take the tab (link in my vid) as it's laid out and paste that into one of those transposing apps or online tools and convert it to GCEA tuning and see what chord shapes come out. When I do this I usually have to re-do the chords because the software will invariably choose first position chord shapes when they don't make sense.

I have used an app called Chord! which is available on iOS and Android which you can import songs laid out like mine with the chords above into different tunings. The trick there is to make sure you have your target tuning already selected before you import. Then you can turn the chord shapes on and tweak them from there.

I hope that helps

Top Bottom