Pono TE Mango Deluxe

Andy Chen

Reaction score
After just one night of playing this, it has shot up to No. 2 on my list of favourite ukes.

When I sought opinion on this forum between the Godin Multiuke and the Pono TE, I was told (among other things) that the Godin is louder unplugged. I don't doubt this at all, but the Pono is already loud enough that I could play alongside my wife on the piano (with her using soft pedals). So the Godin unplugged has to almost as loud as some acoustic ukes!

Other things I love about the Pono:

1. Great plugged-in sound immediately upon connection. No fiddling needed. This was a key reason I chose the Pono over the Godin.

2. It has the quality of finish and workmanship of instruments about USD500 more expensive.

3. The radiused fingerboard is a dream to play. It did not cause me the same problems as the Collings UT2K I used to own.

Overall, a great addition to my collection.

Thanks to Andrew and his crew at HMS!

So, I read this review and then listened to all the TE and BE sound samples on HMS - just out of curiosity, because I'm definitely not looking for another ukulele... and now I realise I definitely need :iwant: a satin Pono BE. Thanks Andy Chen ;)

Since you're located in the UK, you could consider a Tin Guitar solid body tenor. BazMaz has just written about it here, in another thread.

Not a bad idea: by the time I've paid the enormous import duty on top of the Pono BE's reasonable price (about £400 at HMS) there may not be much to choose between them when it comes to cost. The most widely available electric ukulele here seems to be the Godin, which some people love, but others are not so keen on- I fall into the latter category - and I don't think there's a baritone version (which is what I would be looking for - I love my Pono Mango baritone, and am playing a few songs on it at gigs, but it tends to "boom" a bit when it goes through my amp during more up tempo strumming). Whether I import a Pono or get a Tin Guitar I'll have to save some pennies before I can afford one or the other anyway. I hope you continue to enjoy your Pono TE.

Top Bottom