Buying first ukulele , need some advice

gavijal

Reaction score
Hi. I'm buying first ukulele , and after spending some time reserching the web found that the Lanikai LU-21C concerto ukulele will be what I might want. Now, here comes the problem, I want to buy great strings to get most of it, and reading reviews I came across aquila strings. But as I newbe, there are some many kinds , so wich series, and should I go to normal, low or high G (trust me I know about this things as camels knows about spaceship).
Ty in advance

The Lanikai LU-21 models come with Aquila strings by default, so you don't need to worry about replacing them right away. :)

That Lanikai will serve as a fine first uke. A source of helpful information with videos I like to recommend to beginners is YouTube. Search Ukulele, how to..........and fill in the blank with hold, strum, fret, change strings, tune, etc. etc. Good luck. Also many ukulele tuners online. You can also get an app for a cell phone that will allow you to use it as a tuner. I recently bought a fine clip on tuner on ebay for $2.99 US shipped. Good luck.

In terms of picking between low and high g, each has their own benefit and ultimately you're going to end up with one ukulele in each tuning. So, I would practice first with the high g it comes with and get used to the reentrant tuning, which is a bit different.

It will come with Aquila strings, which are very good (though I prefer Worth Heavy Clear strings, but that's just a preference thing), so just play for a while with the high g.

Low G is more like the guitar, in that each string leads you into the next and goes up (or down, depending on which direction you are moving) in tone. It makes a little more sense and gives you a little more tonal range, but it's not "traditional" tuning.

Should already have aquila strings on it. Like already mentioned....get a nice tuner and play!!!

The Aquila strings are very good to learn to play with - they have an interesting texture and it is easy to form chords with your fretting hand. I think they are easier to use for someone who may not yet have built up callouses on fretting hand fingertips.

A lot of people are saying that ukulele comes with Aquila, which I think are good enough strings. My advise, and I'm just a little past beginner myself as I have been at it just ten months, is to start learning to play it for a while before you run out and start changing things. There is a huge learning curve that first month or three, and after that, you will have a much better feeling for where you want to go with your uke. Trying to make that decision, where you are going with it, is pretty hard to do with never having started playing yet.

I bought Lanikai LU-21C concerto, now have few questions. When I tune my strings, and I leave it rest for half an hour my strings go off tune (without playing it ). Mostly G and A string, C holds the best and E little worse then that? Is that normal?

Yes it will take a couple of weeks for them to stop stretching. After that they will stay in tune for the most part.

Other peoples views on strings may not (and often will not) match your own - they are a very personal choice. I like some brands others hate and vice versa - doesnt make anyone wrong.

The best strings are the ones YOU like best.

EG - I really don't like Aquila strings - yet you have seen a recommendation. All that really matters is whether you like them/

(There is a LOT of snake oil about when it comes to strings!)

Top Bottom