Boat Paddle is now Hoffmann Lutherie

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just saw that Jerry Hoffmann is changing the name of his Boat Paddle Ukulele Company to Hoffmann Lutherie.

http://hoffmannukuleles.com/

I've had 6 Boat Paddle ukes (currently own 2) and thought they all were some of the best sounding and playing ukes out there. I look forward to more great innovations from Jerry's designs.

bplogoblk.jpg
==>
logo_float.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like "Boat Paddle" is a more interesting and perhaps marketable name in some ways. Sort of like Flea/Fluke.

On the other hand, perhaps it doesn't work as well when you are selling instruments with four figures in the price tag.

A rose by any other name....

My 5 string ML concert is right at the top of his gallery page. And it is the finest instrument one could ask for. Light. Responsive. Loud. Incredible balance. And the fit and finish is impeccable. Guess my next uke from Jerry will have a different logo. And there WILL be a next.

I saw that yesterday. I wonder why he is changing it at this point though. It probably isn't because he got tired of the old one.

Maybe because he has expanded far beyond the original boat paddle shape? Just guessing.

On a perhaps-related/perhaps-unrelated note, I saw on FB that Pete Howlett will be marketing his Marmite ukes under the "boat paddle" title.

Last edited:
I think it's a good change. Being a newbie to ukes, I didn't realize that the company name was "Boat Paddle" when people referred to them in discussion, instead thinking it was a style/shape. I think the distinction/clarity is a good thing that can help people find his site and products.

I don't want this to get contentious so to be clear I will be marketing my interpretation of the boat paddle shape as 'Boat Paddle Style' NOT boat paddle ukulele. I hope Mr Hoffmann hasn't copyrighted the name as I will have to refer back to marmite!

This is "The Last Boatpaddle Ukulele", an ML tenor in ebony, red spruce, mahogany neck, Koa binding and headstock overlay, abalone trim, bone nut and saddle, MiSi Acoustic Trio pickup system, Gotoh UPTs, and currently on its way to me. :D

image.jpg

Last edited:
I hear the secondary market price for Boat Paddles going up as we speak.

I hear the secondary market price for Boat Paddles going up as we speak.

I wouldn't put that much emphasis on a name change, unless the quality between Boat Paddle and Hoffman changes drastically (which I highly doubt), he eliminates some models or stops altogether.

But hey, if someone wants to buy a used Boat Paddle for twice the price of a new Hoffman solely on the name, more power to them.

Top Bottom