PDA

View Full Version : Boat Paddle is now Hoffmann Lutherie

Doc_J
01-13-2015, 06:08 AM
Just saw that Jerry Hoffmann is changing the name of his Boat Paddle Ukulele Company to Hoffmann Lutherie.

http://hoffmannukuleles.com/

I've had 6 Boat Paddle ukes (currently own 2) and thought they all were some of the best sounding and playing ukes out there. I look forward to more great innovations from Jerry's designs.

http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/newsite_images/bplogoblk.jpg ==> http://hoffmannlutherie.com/logo_float.jpg

wayfarer75
01-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Like the new logo!

Photojosh
01-13-2015, 06:20 AM
I feel like "Boat Paddle" is a more interesting and perhaps marketable name in some ways. Sort of like Flea/Fluke.

On the other hand, perhaps it doesn't work as well when you are selling instruments with four figures in the price tag.

hoosierhiver
01-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Great instruments no matter what he decides to call them.

bonesigh
01-13-2015, 06:35 AM
I think the logo would look cooler if the dark part in the middle of the H had a hint of a uke shape that spread into the bars of the H. Does that make sense?? Sigh, I've always wanted one of their Baritone ukes like Victoria Vox has. One day, one day (:

ichadwick
01-13-2015, 06:51 AM
An operatic name!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tales_of_Hoffmann

davidrboy
01-13-2015, 07:03 AM
A rose by any other name....

My 5 string ML concert is right at the top of his gallery page. And it is the finest instrument one could ask for. Light. Responsive. Loud. Incredible balance. And the fit and finish is impeccable. Guess my next uke from Jerry will have a different logo. And there WILL be a next.

Rllink
01-13-2015, 07:13 AM
I saw that yesterday. I wonder why he is changing it at this point though. It probably isn't because he got tired of the old one.

kvehe
01-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Maybe because he has expanded far beyond the original boat paddle shape? Just guessing.

On a perhaps-related/perhaps-unrelated note, I saw on FB that Pete Howlett will be marketing his Marmite ukes under the "boat paddle" title.

spookelele
01-13-2015, 07:40 AM
I think it's a good change. Being a newbie to ukes, I didn't realize that the company name was "Boat Paddle" when people referred to them in discussion, instead thinking it was a style/shape. I think the distinction/clarity is a good thing that can help people find his site and products.

spookelele
01-13-2015, 08:28 AM
I think the logo would look cooler if the dark part in the middle of the H had a hint of a uke shape that spread into the bars of the H.

The whole H logo is the shape of the ML model.

Pete Howlett
01-13-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't want this to get contentious so to be clear I will be marketing my interpretation of the boat paddle shape as 'Boat Paddle Style' NOT boat paddle ukulele. I hope Mr Hoffmann hasn't copyrighted the name as I will have to refer back to marmite!

stevepetergal
01-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Absolutely.

Andy Chen
01-13-2015, 12:46 PM

For sure! I would like a custom ML from Jerry.

dkcrown
01-13-2015, 01:28 PM
The whole H logo is the shape of the ML model.

With the exception of the oval shaped sound hole.

GASguy
01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
This is "The Last Boatpaddle Ukulele", an ML tenor in ebony, red spruce, mahogany neck, Koa binding and headstock overlay, abalone trim, bone nut and saddle, MiSi Acoustic Trio pickup system, Gotoh UPTs, and currently on its way to me. :D

kvehe
01-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Lucky Guy!

Andy Chen
01-13-2015, 01:53 PM
This is "The Last Boatpaddle Ukulele", an ML tenor in ebony, red spruce, mahogany neck, Koa binding and headstock overlay, abalone trim, MiSi Acoustic Trio pickup system, Gotoh UPTs, and currently on its way to me. :D

Congratulations! Literally, a milestone instrument.

Colonel Uke
01-14-2015, 04:13 AM
I hear the secondary market price for Boat Paddles going up as we speak.

Jon Moody
01-14-2015, 04:39 AM
I hear the secondary market price for Boat Paddles going up as we speak.

I wouldn't put that much emphasis on a name change, unless the quality between Boat Paddle and Hoffman changes drastically (which I highly doubt), he eliminates some models or stops altogether.

But hey, if someone wants to buy a used Boat Paddle for twice the price of a new Hoffman solely on the name, more power to them.

Mivo
01-14-2015, 04:52 AM
I think it's a good change. Being a newbie to ukes, I didn't realize that the company name was "Boat Paddle" when people referred to them in discussion, instead thinking it was a style/shape. I think the distinction/clarity is a good thing that can help people find his site and products.

But that is why the name Boat Paddle was so good, from a marketing perspective! :) Like Kleenex, Popsicle, Rollerblades, Plexiglas, and so on.

Rllink
01-14-2015, 05:33 AM
I always thought Boat Paddle Ukes sounded a little Mark Twain-esque.
Maybe it was supposed to be, considering the only thing between the shop and the Missouri River is a levy.

spookelele
01-14-2015, 06:30 AM
But that is why the name Boat Paddle was so good, from a marketing perspective! :) Like Kleenex, Popsicle, Rollerblades, Plexiglas, and so on.

What I mean is, it didn't occur to me to search for "boat paddle" as the company to find out more about them. I thought it was a term to refer to any body shape that doesn't have a waist, like pineapple, banjolele, some of the flukes, etc.

NewKid
01-14-2015, 08:13 AM
This is "The Last Boatpaddle Ukulele", an ML tenor in ebony, red spruce, mahogany neck, Koa binding and headstock overlay, abalone trim, bone nut and saddle, MiSi Acoustic Trio pickup system, Gotoh UPTs, and currently on its way to me. :D

That's a beautiful ML-Tenor! I'm very interested in hearing how it compares to the rest of your great collection. My ML-Tenor has become my favorite instrument and I've had some nice ones as well.

GASguy
01-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Lucky Guy!

I am quite lucky in the fact that I got a second chance. I looked at a Boatpaddle ML tenor with the same wood combo 12 to 18 months ago, but it sold before I took action.

I don't think Jerry builds a lot of these, I don't recall seeing another one like it in the interim year to year and a half, so when it posted I went for it.

GASguy
01-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Congratulations! Literally, a milestone instrument.

Thank you. The funny thing is I had no idea that this ukulele would be the last Boatpaddle, until Jerry posted the photo and "Last Boatpaddle Ukulele" caption on his Facebook page several days after I committed to buying the uke.

I knew it was a special instrument from the moment I saw pictures of the ukulele, but I had no clue how significant it was in Jerry's evolving business plan until after the fact.

GASguy
01-14-2015, 01:19 PM
That's a beautiful ML-Tenor! I'm very interested in hearing how it compares to the rest of your great collection. My ML-Tenor has become my favorite instrument and I've had some nice ones as well.

Thank you.

I find your Boatpaddle Cocobolo ML tenor to be quite beautiful as well!

I have read many positive comments about Jerry's work and his ML tenor models, from respected members here at UU such as yourself and Doc_J just to name two.

Jerry describes this ukulele as having an incredibly clear voice that is in a class by itself; I am anxious to experience it.

Andy Chen
01-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Consider me another who loves the original name

hollisdwyer
02-27-2015, 01:59 AM

I guess we got some of the last PB ML tenors from Jerry before he switched brands. I commissioned my ML Tenor late last year (shipped late October)-Cocobolo over red spruce,Mog neck, herringbone purfling, maple binding, side sound hole, Gotoh UPT's, MiSi PU:
I really love this Uke.

Andy Chen
02-27-2015, 03:12 AM
Really beautiful! I wish Jerry would make me a custom.

hollisdwyer
02-27-2015, 03:27 AM
Really beautiful! I wish Jerry would make me a custom.

I know I was very fortunate to have a custom created for me and have it ready to pick up while I was touring the USA Last year.

Recstar24
05-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Thread revival!

Just finalized a custom build with jerry. ML tenor, Ebony with red spruce top, maple binding, gotoh upts, gloss lacquer finish, bound side sound port. Ready by end of summer :)

NewKid
05-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Thread revival!

Just finalized a custom build with jerry. ML tenor, Ebony with red spruce top, maple binding, gotoh upts, gloss lacquer finish, bound side sound port. Ready by end of summer :)

You're gonna love it! I have an ML tenor and I can play it comfortably for hours!

Andy Chen
05-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Congrats and happy waiting! Around the price of the ML tenor on HMS?

bariukish
05-24-2015, 05:27 AM
You're gonna LOVE it. My BP ML tenor is definitely my "go to" uke even over another custom uke. Sublime!

Recstar24
05-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Congrats and happy waiting! Around the price of the ML tenor on HMS?

Less. Mine is less blingy, but in my eyes will be just as attractice :) The HMS ML tenor has some beautiful aesthetic accents and trim upgrades that I didn't go for, like the cool fretboard purfling or the wooden rosette to match the backs and sides. My soundhole will just have a BWB purfling line, very simple, and the fretboard will have maple binding but no purfling line with normal fretboard dot markers. I did spring for the lacquer finish as both Jerry and I thought it would really bring out the striping and figure in his ebony.

Recstar24
08-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Custom is almost done! Waiting strings and pickup install, hopefully sent out by end of the week!

Highmiles
08-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Wow! Gorgeous!

wayfarer75
08-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Nice! I can't wait to hear a sound sample.

M3Ukulele
08-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Now that is one nice looking ukulele. Great choice of woods and trims. Love to hear a sound sample in future. Also, would like comments from owners on the pinned nut. Will a sound hole strap work with this shape of ukulele or do owners recommend strap buttons. One comment was "and I can play if comfortably for hours." Is that due to the shape, weight, with or without a strap? Just curious. Jerry does great work and I'd like to get one someday!
Congratulations.

Ukulele Eddie
08-24-2015, 05:47 PM
What a looker!!!

Custom is almost done! Waiting strings and pickup install, hopefully sent out by end of the week!

FiL
08-25-2015, 02:41 AM
His ukes are out of my price range, but man I really love that body style.

- FiL

bariukish
08-28-2015, 06:04 AM
I own (and love) a tenor and bari ML Boat Paddle. These are both naturally louder and have more sustain than other ukes I own or have tried. I'm curious about what, if any, difference in volume and sustain the addition of the side sound hole might make. I would imagine from your position as player, you would perceive it to be "louder" but what would be the listeners perspective? Maybe you could cover the side hole and try a song both ways. Purely an academic exercise but might be interesting. In any event, you are in for a real treat when you get your hands on one of Jerrys beautiful creations. Enjoy!

Recstar24
08-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Thanks! For me, I am most looking forward to the sound port's usage as a sort of monitoring device. So when I play at my local uke club, it will help to actually here myself over the mix, but also I pay a lot of attention to my technique, and having a very close direct soundport will allow me to adjust my technique as needed based on what I am hearing. And they look cool :)

hollisdwyer
08-28-2015, 08:10 PM
God, your really going to love your new ML. The wood combo looks gorgeous. I also think that the side sound port will give you exactly what you are expecting. Congratulations!

Hippie Dribble
08-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Congrats Ryan. Easily the prettiest BP/Hoffman I've ever seen. Just awesome brother.