Looking for new Concert Uke- Blackbird Clara?

vcs700s

Reaction score
I have been playing for about 3 months and have owned and played the tenor, concert and soprano scale. I have decided that the 15" scale works best for me. I am keeping my new Kala Concert uke and a couple Kala soprano ukes with concert necks.

I have scoured the internet and especially this forum. I would like to take the plunge with a really nice concert uke. I have considered all the "K" brands but the Blackbird Clara seems to be a front runner based on much of what I have read here.

There are some who own very high end ukes, including Collings, but if they had to choose it would be the Clara.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere in No. VA to play one. This would be a real leap of faith to drop the money on one so I need some help.

Would this be a good move? I would probably get the one without the pickup as I have no need to amplify currently. Blackbird seems like a solid company and I love the sound of this uke. I would restring it to high G as that is my preference.

Other suggestions are welcome!

Help please!

Last edited:
vcs700s, I think you'd really like the Blackbird. I had mine strung re-entrant with Aquila Reds and it sounded fantastic. I only sold it because I'm limited on how many ukes I can have and am not yet done exploring. It is an absolute certainly I will have another one.

The retailer on FMM is Dixie Ukes, which is where I got my Clara. Full disclosure, while I am not employed by Dixie Ukes I helped George out a by representing him at a west coast 'uke festival. I've purchased 4 ukes from him and been quite happy. He offers a trial/return period like most retailers.

I don't know if you saw this.

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/

As of now, it is the 4th listing. It is a retailer, so the sales/return policy may be different than a purchase from an individual.

Hope this helps.

Dixie Ukes is a class act. The Clara sounds way better and more "natural" to my ears (and most of the folks at the Tampa Bay Uke Getaway this past November that heard it) than the tenor model and in the opinion of many, can tonally compete with high-end all wood ukes. Shipping isn't going to break you if you decided to return it (I doubt that you would want to though) ...talk to George about it. He's an old "horse trader" so you may be able to work something out.

Dixie Ukes seems very cool, I have had a lot of correspondence with them and they are very accessible. I played Eddie's Clara and also the road trip Clara strung linear from MacNichol Guitars. The road trip Clara supposedly will be available at a discount after Blackbird refinishes it. I can't fault the sound of the Clara (it made me decide to buy a CF guitar), but it is a little bit slippery because of the rounded back edges. Just make sure you get the trial period, usually 42-72 hours after receipt, where if you aren't happy you can send it back. I'd expect the road trip Clara will be sold as used but ask if there will be a warranty, I think that would be important at that price.

I have been playing for about 3 months and have owned and played the tenor, concert and soprano scale. I have decided that the 15" scale works best for me. I am keeping my new Kala Concert uke and a couple Kala soprano ukes with concert necks.

I have scoured the internet and especially this forum. I would like to take the plunge with a really nice concert uke. I have considered all the "K" brands but the Blackbird Clara seems to be a front runner based on much of what I have read here.

There are some who own very high end ukes, including Collings, but if they had to choose it would be the Clara.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere in No. VA to play one. This would be a real leap of faith to drop the money on one so I need some help.

Would this be a good move? I would probably get the one without the pickup as I have no need to amplify currently. Blackbird seems like a solid company and I love the sound of this uke. I would restring it to high G as that is my preference.

Other suggestions are welcome!

Help please!

I live close to you and own 2 Clara's. (Just got the second -- it's a custom.) Happy to let you test drive one. PM if interested...

I love tenor scale and yet the Clara is my favourite instrument, sound- and tone-wise.

I live close to you and own 2 Clara's. (Just got the second -- it's a custom.) Happy to let you test drive one. PM if interested...

That sounds like a great offer! A ukulele jam over coffee or beer depending?

What a great offer! I appreciate it. My schedule is crazy right now but I may take you up on it in the future.

Still thinking about the Clara. I may wait until after NAMM to see what is new fron Blackbird and other companies.

Top Bottom