PDA

View Full Version : Olson's story...

Pete Howlett
01-13-2015, 11:15 AM
This is a great view: This man has paid his dues and how... pay close attention to the last 2 minutes or so.

http://youtu.be/5H5IBKxlwJw

Steveperrywriter
01-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Lovely video.

Michael Smith
01-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Sure can relate to a lot of what he says, thanks Pete.

MichaelPfenning
01-13-2015, 03:53 PM
What a great Story.

Doug W
01-13-2015, 04:08 PM
My wife and I were sent over to his shop in St. Paul in the early 90's as recommended by a local music store. They said he was prompt and reasonable and got the job done. We met him and were impressed by his competence and just the fact that he was a nice guy. He repaired some instruments for us and installed some pickups on a mandolin and a couple guitars. A year or two later, we needed a guitar neck adjustment or something, so we went to see him and that was right after he had sold guitars to James Taylor and Phil Keaggy and Paul McCartney and he had orders for guitars backed up several millenniums and didn't have time for repairs. Bad for us, good for him.

sequoia
01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Great video..

"Triumphs and setbacks, failures and successes, but there is something about it. I think it is like someone wanting to play guitar - you wake up in the morning and you just have to do another one. Even if there is no expectation of financial renumeration.... I can't explain it. It just seems like something that was chosen for you..."

I can relate to the triumphs and setback parts... also the failure part. Been a tough day in the old Fred Flintstone School of Lutherie. What discourages me is not so much working a little over my head and failing is doing something I know how to do and not listening to the wood, not feeling the tool, not paying attention and the preventable and predictable happens. I was not a happy camper yesterday and it only got worse. When will I learn to just walk away and go watch whales. New lesson learned: When it ain't goin' right, go for a walk.

Pete Howlett
01-13-2015, 11:08 PM
He caught a real lucky break. On the back of his enormous talent and ability to work repetitively this has made him the supper league builder that he is. Right time, right place, right opportunity - all those baby boomers with disposable incomes who wanted to be James Taylor now had the opportunity to get half way there. I can think of a few ukulele makers in that category :)

BTW I am spending the day trying to figure out why I got so many dust specks in my finish after having cleaned the workshop. It happens to us all. When I was touring Bill Collings factory with him he picked up a neck, looked at the inlay and said, "That's not right!"... set-backs are not the preserve of the amateur or yet to be competently skilled so take heart and face the day anew :)

Gary Gill
01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks for sharing Pete. Very inspiring.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Great video Pete. Yeah, it seems that some of us have no choice but to do what we do. As he said, it's like the craft chose us. I'm grateful for it.

hawaii 50
01-14-2015, 07:10 AM
If I could play guitar I would try to own an Olson...nice....:)

lauburu
01-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Great video, Pete. Thanks for posting it.
Miguel

Wicked
01-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Jim Olson is a super nice guy. (Can't say the same about James Tayler, but we will leave it at that.)

Pete Howlett
01-14-2015, 11:10 PM
To be a truly successful musician you have to be very driven in an environment that applauds you one minute and abandons you the next... apart from working the streets and acting it has to be the most insecure work around.

Timbuck
01-14-2015, 11:13 PM
To be a truly successful musician you have to be very driven in an environment that applauds you one minute and abandons you the next... apart from working the streets and acting it has to be the most insecure work around. Like being a Football Manager ;)

Pete Howlett
01-14-2015, 11:55 PM
And that too Ken.

ukulele-melee
01-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Jim Olson lives about 2 miles from me. After building my first uke I contacted him and he invited me to stop by and he was gracious enough to take a look at my uke and give me a tour of his shop. Very nice guy and known for his jig making.