Ukulele Hacks (tips)

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I was curious what hacks to ukes, equipment, stands, etc. you all have done and could share. I have 2:

1. Put side dots on the side of your fretboard using a whiteout pen, not brush. It makes a nice round dot, takes a while to rub off, come of with water and a cloth easily.

2. Stabilize any cracks in the body of the uke by applying the old fashioned packing tape (the kind you moisten the glue to to apply) inside the body. Helps prevent the crack from spreading, no effect on the tone, lasts forever, can be removed with a little mostiure.

I'm not quite sure what your asking but I know that tapping the crack you may have in the uke with a little suction cup helps the glue into the crack. Speaking of white out, use the white out strips that come on a roll to elevate a nut or saddle just a smidge at a time. Avery stick on picture hooks are great to use for a button if you don't want to put a hole in your uke (please let it completely dry though!). A dog leash works great for a strap. Little colored stick on dots from the stationary store work great for teaching beginners. Play that dreaded "E" using only the c,e,a strings holding the Eb shape, so you would play it X442. I've also successfully used "window cling paint" http://www.amazon.com/Window-Art-Deluxe-Refill-Set/dp/1591744490 to bling up some ukes. Do NOT do this on a high end uke, just in case! I have had the red color stain wood before but now I put a thick coating of clear on the back of the clings and have not had a problem since.

I'm not quite sure what your asking but I know that tapping the crack you may have in the uke with a little suction cup helps the glue into the crack. Speaking of white out, use the white out strips that come on a roll to elevate a nut or saddle just a smidge at a time. Avery stick on picture hooks are great to use for a button if you don't want to put a hole in your uke (please let it completely dry though!). A dog leash works great for a strap. Little colored stick on dots from the stationary store work great for teaching beginners. Play that dreaded "E" using only the c,e,a strings holding the Eb shape, so you would play it X442. I've also successfully used "window cling paint" http://www.amazon.com/Window-Art-Deluxe-Refill-Set/dp/1591744490 to bling up some ukes. Do NOT do this on a high end uke, just in case! I have had the red color stain wood before but now I put a thick coating of clear on the back of the clings and have not had a problem since.

Do you use the dog leash with the picture hooks? I'm not familiar with that brand of hook. I need to Google them.

I'm not quite sure what your asking but I know that tapping the crack you may have in the uke with a little suction cup helps the glue into the crack.......
Yes stuff like that. I never thought of using a suction cup to get the glue to penetrate.

I have another one. When changing strings use a sharpened pencil in the nut slots. The graphite in the lead lubricates the slot so the strings don't bind.

Top Bottom