Island Legends - awesome ukulele shop in so cal!

strongergodzilla

Reaction score
FunkyPeaNutZ recommended this place, and talked alot about it, just through t id write up my own little take on the place! Thanks for the recommendation FunkyPeaNutZ!

So today I hit up Island Legends in Torrance here in so cal with my brother, and that place was awesome! Ukuleles line the wall like a guitar center (im talking like 25 or 30 ukes!), they carried a ton of brands with some basic starters (various brands and sizes, a lot of them 70 bucks or less, a few other brands i couldn't remember, a whole array of Lanikai, some Pono, even some high end stuff, Kamaka's, G string, Koaloha, etc. I didnt see any Kala specifically, or any ohana (in case anyone wondered ;)).

They also had a bunch of soft, soft/hard, and full on hardshell cases, straps, capos (dunlop mandolin capo specifically), GHS, Hilo and Ko’olau strings, some case humidifiers, wall hangers, lesson books, cables, those huge felt picks, and more. On top of that, the store is also a Hawaiian goods shop, they had cool carved bowls and cups, shirts, bags, jewelry, on top of other things. I bought a capo, some strings and the case humidifier.

Coolest part was they have ukulele lessons (group setting) every week, 5 dollars a lesson, pay as you play with classes for beginners, intermediate and advanced players.

Anyone in the area should definitely check it out, definitely worth the visit.

Island Legends
2120 Artesia Blvd
Torrance, CA 90504
(310) 352-6333

They are open Tuesday-Saturday 10-6. I know there are posts about this place, but maybe this can give people an idea of what they can expect!

Last edited:
I thought that store closed down for good...weren't they across da street from marukais?

If you have the time to travel a little farther south...

http://www.carlsbadmusic.com/v2/ukuleles.htm

Giacoletti Music
505 Carlsbad Village Drive
Carlsbad, California 92008
(760)729-1335

"With over 100 ukes on display, we proudly have the best selection of ukes, meant to be played. Belfiore ukes are individually handmade expressly for us. We are able to offer these soulful instruments for under $200. All models of Lanikai ukes, the most popular student uke we have ever sold, are on display. Every player on the go must have a FLUKE! or Flea in their quiver! These two unique ukes have better tone than instruments twice the price. Lehua ukes are sought after for their balanced tone and craftsmanship. Akulele is the coolest instrument from South America. These are our main lines, but many other makes, including Martin, Kamaka, Hilo, Applause (by Ovation), and Goldtone Banjo Uke, are represented. We have more accessories, like strings, pitch pipes, stands, and replacement parts, than your usual uke guys. CHECK US OUT!"

That's Roy on the right. Tell him Ric sent ya'!

beloff.jpg

If anyone goes see if they have a real web address so i can update The Southern California Ukulele Shops page

I'm planning on going tomorrow. I want to check out the island items for a Christmas present for my Mom, and the uke stuff for me -- I want to see what are the warmest sounding strings I can get for my Kala. I'll ask about a website while I'm there.

Nope, they don't have a website. But the store was nice, and the guy was even nicer. They had a good selection of ukuleles, lots of Lanikais and Ponos. He also had a couple of used ukuleles as well. I bought a tshirt, set of strings, and a ukulele necklace. I recommend anyone in SoCal check it out.

great shop. i picked up a few ukes for pretty good prices and the dude that always works there changed my uke for free a couple of times when i got new strings

I’ve gotta vouch for this shop. I picked up my Kala solid lacewood tenor from them over the weekend. They have a really good selection of ukes and the prices are pretty competitive even against internet prices – especially after you factor in shipping & handling and that agonizing time clicking refresh on the Fedex tracking site haha.

Not sure if he is the owner but Todd is all aces. He is really mellow and down to earth and looks out for you. I had my eye on another uke and he was like, ‘that’s 50 bucks more than this other one and they are basically the same.’ And if he doesn’t know the answer, he’ll just say that which is really refreshing.

I’m glad I came across this post because otherwise I would never have found them. Heck, even after this post and with a navi, I had a hard time physically finding them haha. The shop is tucked away in the corner of a strip mall.

He really needs to set up a website though.

it is quite a place, you can also get a tattoo in the back room.

When I was there they were understocked, had no good sopranos, only starters, no Pono, etc. Glad to hear there's more there now, I will have to go back.

Oh man, stopped by here after work to pick up some strings and ... IT'S CLOSED!! :(

A Hawaiian dance school is there now and they told me they took over the space from Todd ... they said he went out of business.

Oh man, that's really sad....these ukulele shops all over going out of business...even here in Hawaii...

Oh man, that's really sad....these ukulele shops all over going out of business...even here in Hawaii...
Which store in the 808 closed?

Didn't the one in Waikiki Shopping Plaza in Waikiki a friend told me..can't verify that but...never been there..
That was awhile can't remember....but less than a year ago....and G-string..

Last edited:
Oh man, stopped by here after work to pick up some strings and ... IT'S CLOSED!! :(

A Hawaiian dance school is there now and they told me they took over the space from Todd ... they said he went out of business.

Dude,

That's what happens when you take a break from the uke scene!

yeah, that was a cool place. I got a tattoo there once. It is not a tattoo shop, but they let a tattoo artist from Oahu use the back of the store. When we would break, I would go to the front and just look at the ukes. They had a really nice selection there.

Top Bottom