Radius fretboard question

pluck

Reaction score
Does a uke with a radius fretboard usually have a curved nut and a curved saddle too? Otherwise the 1 and 4 strings would have a higher action than the 2 and 3 strings. Thanks.

What is a compound radius?

I second that. What is a compound radius?

It means the radius at the nut is tighter thanat the end of the fret board closet to the sound hole.

Ok, but I don't see why a compound radius fretboard couldn't have curved nut and saddle.

Ok, but I don't see why a compound radius fretboard couldn't have curved nut and saddle.

I don't have my uke in front of me, so I could be wrong. I think the radius is pretty flat by the time it gets to the bridge. I'll check tomorrow when the kids are up.

If is super nice to play, but the way... perfect in fact

It has a curved nut for sure. I wound think the saddle would be curved as well, just less curve to match the diminishing radius. But iDavid owns one so he would be the guy to ask

I own three instruments with a radius fretboard and they all have a radius nut and saddle.

Thanks for the replies. The answer seems to be a semi-conclusive, not-quite-unanimous "yes".

either way, I'm thinking that the slight curve means the arc of the strumming finger/hand has to change and it could be harder to hit all the strings? (although compound radius sounds like it might be the best of both worlds)

Top Bottom