Thankful Ukuleles Cost Are Not Mandolins

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a mandolin enthusiast. He has 3 mandolins that are top tier (think Moore Bettah, Ko'olau, Hive, Beau Hannam, etc.) that cost $10-$15K each. He is drooling over this used one right now for $23k:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/82872

Fascinating to me the price difference. I have been told there is a lot more labor in a mandolin due to its shape and arched top, but I wonder how many hours this took vs. a top tier uke sans any inlay.

Yeah, I've often thought about that. It's not that $1000-3000 isn't a lot of money for some (most) people, because it is. But it sure seems $1000-3000 can get you a LOT more in the ukulele world than it can in the mando world. I think in general, ukuleles are an excellent value.

I think if I had an instrument for $23,000, I'd be afraid to use it. This is one of the reasons why I don't have a $1000 ukulele, either. The ones I have are in the $300 range, which for me is the sweet spot between "sounding good"/feeling nice and not being afraid to use the instruments. If they were more expensive, I'd constantly fret (while not fretting) about minimal scratches, and would not dare to even put them on the bed. For me, this kind of defeats the purpose. I think I like my instruments to be "tools" and also be used that way.

More recently I got into hardware synthesizers and drum machines, and I'll say that *that* is even worse in the GAS-sense. Bought a drum machine for $1500, told myself I was crazy for doing that, but it's hot stuff. It also works as a metronome! Oddly, I'm not worried about using it, but then again, it stands in the same place, has a nice cover, and I'm not taking it anywhere, so the relatively high price doesn't prevent me from making music with it.

Those mandolins are gorgeous.

I had this custom mandolele done by a builder in Vietnam recently for $460 including shipping. Solid acacia koa, gloss black, ebony fretboard and bridge, mother of pearl binding (plastic), I added the chrome tailpiece and tuners.

Mandolele chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Was talking about the shipping. When I buy a car I expect the cost it takes to get to the dealer to be included. TT&L goes to the state so understand it is an outside charge.

I am all for supply and demand, it seems their is some marketing going on as well.

I'm really glad that the average uke doens't cost over a grand, becuase I might not have one. I think a mandolin is more akin to a violin than a uke, hence the expense. I'm really glad I'm not a mandolin player, cause I would only be able to eat beans and rice....and not have a uke....

Was talking about the shipping. When I buy a car I expect the cost it takes to get to the dealer to be included. TT&L goes to the state so understand it is an outside charge.

I am all for supply and demand, it seems their is some marketing going on as well.

Absolutely, when you are dealing an instrument at that price point. There are a few builders that command that kind of price: Dudenbostel, Steve Gilchrist, John Monteleone. They are all amazing craftsman, to be sure, but I think part of what gets people to part with that much money is the feeling of owning something special and irreplaceable. Call it marketing if you like, but people stand in line to part with enough money for a minivan to own one of Steve Gilchrist's creations.

Absolutely, when you are dealing an instrument at that price point. There are a few builders that command that kind of price: Dudenbostel, Steve Gilchrist, John Monteleone. They are all amazing craftsman, to be sure, but I think part of what gets people to part with that much money is the feeling of owning something special and irreplaceable. Call it marketing if you like, but people stand in line to part with enough money for a minivan to own one of Steve Gilchrist's creations.

Well I can't argue that people don't want them because I certainly believe they do, as for standing in line to get one, it has only been up for sale for a day it will be interesting to see how long it stays there. I imagine it is well made with fine craftsmanship etc... I am curious as to why people buy them to play or to appreciate or ???

Is a $23,000 mandolin 23 times better than a $1000 mandolin in terms of tonal quality? To those in the know I guess it would make you look a whole lot wealthier !

Last edited:
I'm really glad that the average uke doens't cost over a grand, becuase I might not have one. I think a mandolin is more akin to a violin than a uke, hence the expense. I'm really glad I'm not a mandolin player, cause I would only be able to eat beans and rice....and not have a uke....

You are lucky that you would still be able to afford "beans and rice".

A friend of mine is a mandolin enthusiast. He has 3 mandolins that are top tier (think Moore Bettah, Ko'olau, Hive, Beau Hannam, etc.) that cost $10-$15K each.

Some violin bows cost that much. Then you have to shop for the violin to go with it.

Is a $23,000 mandolin 23 times better than a $1000 mandolin in terms of tonal quality?

It's always only a few percentages of "betterness" that cost the big bucks. Same with microphones. A $3000 microphone doesn't produce ten times better recordings than a $300 one, but 5% better would justify the extra cost for many recording artists or engineers. (Also for many hobbyists, even though they are unlikely to hear the difference and other components in the chain may be bigger weaknesses, or less money for acoustic room treatment would yield far more benefits).

If a hobbyist mandolin player drops $23,000 on an instrument, it's likely just for the "experience". I imagine it provides a massive motivation boost and just "feels awesome". No doubt for some it is also about bragging rights. Might not even be a bad investment. In those price regions, you should not have trouble re-selling something for what you paid for it. And who knows, it may gain value even.

It's always only a few percentages of "betterness" that cost the big bucks. Same with microphones. A $3000 microphone doesn't produce ten times better recordings than a $300 one, but 5% better would justify the extra cost for many recording artists or engineers. (Also for many hobbyists, even though they are unlikely to hear the difference and other components in the chain may be bigger weaknesses, or less money for acoustic room treatment would yield far more benefits).

If a hobbyist mandolin player drops $23,000 on an instrument, it's likely just for the "experience". I imagine it provides a massive motivation boost and just "feels awesome". No doubt for some it is also about bragging rights. Might not even be a bad investment. In those price regions, you should not have trouble re-selling something for what you paid for it. And who knows, it may gain value even.

I agree with everything said here. I'm not a car enthusiast, so I can't understand why anybody would pay good money to drive a Mercedes to work when my Camry does a fine job at a third the price. And I sure can't understand why someone would pay 10 times as much for an Alfa Romeo or a Rolls. And yet, people obviously do, and obviously find value in it, whether it's a better driving experience, the status of a fine car, or just the pure thrill of owning a premium vehicle.

I've been a long-time participant in the mandolin community, and I can't tell you how many times someone has posted something like "I got to try a $25,000 Gilchrist and it wasn't any better than my <<insert name of inexpensive import mandolin here>>. And the same things are true every time:

1. If you can't tell the difference between a $500 instrument and a $25,000 instrument, congratulations! You just saved yourself $24,5000.
2. Don't assume that because you can't tell the difference that there is no difference
3. People who make that level of investment do see the value; whether it's tone, playability, status or thrill-seeking will always be up for debate.
4. $25,000 isn't a lot of money to some people

And most importantly:

5. The subtle differences between a good instrument and a great instrument are HUGE differences to someone who plays professionally or simply has a deep passion for the instrument.

I wish there was a "like" option on this forum, as RichM's post above is dead on, especially on points #2 and #5.

Let's also remember, building a mandolin is different from a ukulele, and as such will have a different price point. It's like saying "I paid $$$ for my sedan, I don't understand why my brother paid $$$$$ for his truck." They're both vehicles, but there are different specs involved.

Lastly, does it really matter? Seriously, does it really matter who paid $$$ for their instrument?

Shipping is shipping, and the consumer is going to pay it one way or another. I don't care whether it is a mandolin, a ukulele, or a car, the seller needs to make enough profit to make the payroll and to pay the bills. So while it feels good to see that "free shipping", it is factored in.

Shipping is shipping, and the consumer is going to pay it one way or another. I don't care whether it is a mandolin, a ukulele, or a car, the seller needs to make enough profit to make the payroll and to pay the bills. So while it feels good to see that "free shipping", it is factored in.

I agree that it is always going to be factored in one way or another. I just found humor in the idea that $15-$30 shipping is added to a $23K item. I guess some didn't see the humor, or realize that shipping costs and insurance could likely be more.

I am of the school of if I pay $1000's for a 5% improvement I should try to be 5% better, but I am not a professional or recording artist I play mostly for disinterested pets.

I don't believe making a mandolin is "simple" in the sense that anyone can do it, but believe finding someone who can create equal quality for less than 80% of that cost is highly probable.

I also find it interesting that a used instrument is being sold via internet ad w/ little or no inspection for that price.

I also realize that there are many people who record music professionally and seek top quality instruments, and also realize that "Hey soul Sister" is performed with a $300 Fender.

But if I was certain that I would sell tickets to concerts that vastly exceed the price I might buy one and deduct its cost, then sell it and pay taxes on the sale of the instrument - I would probably consider buying an expensive instrument. And if a builder gave me an expensive instrument to be seen playing at my concerts (like Fender did with Train) or on an album cover that I could later sell for $1000's that is a no brainer.

I have a nice handmade ukulele from John Copley made in Canberra. John is better known for making Mandolins and resonator guitars. John charged me $750 for the ukulele yet he charges $4000 for a mandolin. It seems that $4000 for a mandolin is cheap!

LOTS more work in a mandolin. A mandolin also has HUGE string tension from 8 short scale steel strings do the builder has to get it right.

Anthony

I have a nice handmade ukulele from John Copley made in Canberra. John is better known for making Mandolins and resonator guitars. John charged me $750 for the ukulele yet he charges $4000 for a mandolin. It seems that $4000 for a mandolin is cheap!

LOTS more work in a mandolin. A mandolin also has HUGE string tension from 8 short scale steel strings do the builder has to get it right.

Anthony

I've seen the photos of a Copley F-Style mandolin. The level of detail is fabulous and exceptionally time-consuming. They are downright beautiful.

Top Bottom