Advice for noob

dat llama

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to building Ukuleles. I've built a kit with my dad and I want to build a Ukulele from scratch for my senior project. My high school offers a program for seniors to work on a project for the last couple of months before graduation. I could use some advice for my first build.
-What woods are easiest too work with?
-What tools do I need?
-How to I bend the sides?
-ect.
Thanks a lot!:D

go to youtube.com and search for ukulele builds building custom ukulele etc. 100s of video on how to build. Even Mya moe ukulele has a series on building step by step. good luck

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to building Ukuleles. I've built a kit with my dad and I want to build a Ukulele from scratch for my senior project. My high school offers a program for seniors to work on a project for the last couple of months before graduation. I could use some advice for my first build.
-What woods are easiest too work with?
-What tools do I need?
-How to I bend the sides?
-ect.
Thanks a lot!:D

Yes, lots of youTube videos to learn from. Order the hana lima ia instruction book. (http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/StoreFront) for a great beginner's tutorial/plan on Spanish heel construction. As for woods, you'll be tempted by the exotics, but for ease of bending (especially for your first) I'd personally recommend Cherry. It's inexpensive and bends like butter, and finishes beautifully.

Tools can be as simple or complex as you want to commit to. Besides the usual handtools you probably have, a simple heated pipe or a home-made "Fox" bender for shaping the sides, and a spokeshave along with rasps/files work well for shaping the neck. Of course, you can go crazy, too but keep it simple for your first build and pay attention to detail and craftsmanship and you'll finish with an instrument you can be proud of. Be sure to post pictures of your progress here and don't be afraid to ask questions. The folks on this forum are the best!

Good Luck and welcome to the obsessive world of lutherie!

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm making a list of the things I'll need for my first build. The project isn't for another couple of moths so I have some time to get ahold of everything I need. When I do start building I'll post my progress. Thanks a lot and hope to see you around the forum!:D

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm making a list of the things I'll need for my first build. The project isn't for another couple of moths so I have some time to get ahold of everything I need. When I do start building I'll post my progress. Thanks a lot and hope to see you around the forum!:D

You really don't need but the most basic of tools to build one uke. If you were going to build a few ukes I would suggest a few upgraded tools. I you wanted to build a lot of ukes then the tool list is endless. Usually, the better tools you have the easier the experience will be and the chances of ending up with a better finished product are increased. Start with a few basic wood working hand tools and when you are finished with your uke you will know if and what kind of other tools to add if you want to build more. As far as bending goes, everyone needs to learn the hot pipe method. You can't get cheaper of more down and dirty than that. Mahogany is easy to work with and will give you a nice uke. Everything else you need to know is on the Internet (YouTube).
Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom